Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
Giant Eagle? I cannot wait to use mine from buying GCs to pay for our DVC PAPs...have enough for 1-1/2 fill ups

OT caution: DVC and the WDW resorts permit unlimted # of GCs to be used on one's folio. If you're planning on doing a split WDW/DCL trip, be careful re buying smaller denomination GCs if not doing a package or buying at the resort and you want to purchase tickets directly online/phone as you can only use two forms of payment (i.e. GC and credit card etc.) for each one.
Yes, Giant Eagle. And yes, we use them at WDW Resorts too. It's a great deal.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Actually it's a debit card, tied to your existing checking account. You still have to apply for one, enclosing a voided check. Rather unusual, but 5% is 5%. I just activated my new card last night and they asked for five(!) security questions. That's more persnickity than my bank was about opening the checking account in the first place.

We recently changed banks and DH applied for a new Target card. But since he already had a Target card on our old bank (account since closed) Target wouldn't issue him a new card. huh? So I applied and Target issued cards on the new account for both of us. go figure.

Have no idea if Target allows international debit cards. Please let us know if it works for you. My application took about two weeks to get accepted, and for the cards to arrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcchello View Post
You can get either a credit or debit Target redcard by applying online at www.target.com/redcard. Both get the 5% off and free shipping from target.com.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Mine is a credit card. I was told I can also have a debit card, but I don't want one.

Nancy
Actually you are BOTH correct. The Target Red Card can be either a credit card OR a debit card, depending on which one you applied for. They both have similar, but not exactly the same benefits, specifically:

Both have 5% off most in-store and online purchases ( but NOT Target gift cards interestingly) made at a Target store or Target.com, free shipping when ordering from Target.com, and benefit can be stacked with the one day 5% pharmacy rewards certificate, if you have one.

Credit Card - VISA card will be accepted almost anywhere
Debit Card - only valid at Target store or Target.com, option to take up to $40 cash out of linked checking with each in store purchase.

tinkerone you are right, every little bit helps to manage the high cost of a Disney cruise. The most difficult part of this approach to actually paying for the cruise is having to buy so many cards, and then having the TA or whoever process them one by one. But people have clearly done it, so I'm going to give it a try later today for our next cruise. My plan is to go to Target and buy 20 $50 cards, paying $950 for $1,000 worth of Disney GCs, which I will then process through DU website as an interim payment. If it goes well, then I'll just repeat the process about once a month or so until PIF. Does that sound reasonable? I figure that gives me a chance to try the process out without having to deal with like 150 cards. It would be so much easier if they had GCs in larger denominations, but I've never seen them if they exist. My local Target only has $25 and $50 cards. Anyway, if you try it and have any suggestions for making it work better, please let us know!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911 View Post
This

tinkerone you are right, every little bit helps to manage the high cost of a Disney cruise. The most difficult part of this approach to actually paying for the cruise is having to buy so many cards, and then having the TA or whoever process them one by one. But people have clearly done it, so I'm going to give it a try later today for our next cruise. My plan is to go to Target and buy 20 $50 cards, paying $950 for $1,000 worth of Disney GCs, which I will then process through DU website as an interim payment. If it goes well, then I'll just repeat the process about once a month or so until PIF. Does that sound reasonable? I figure that gives me a chance to try the process out without having to deal with like 150 cards. It would be so much easier if they had GCs in larger denominations, but I've never seen them if they exist. My local Target only has $25 and $50 cards. Anyway, if you try it and have any suggestions for making it work better, please let us know!
please also let us know how you make out as i'm very curious. thanks!
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

I always just buy them from The Disney Store. There is no special savings perk, but, you can pick your denomination. When initially purchasing a GC, you can put up to $1000, then reload up to $1500 (total, not additional). They also have a selection of card designs to choose from.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 6/14
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

I too buy them for the fuel perks. I've saved $2/gallon on multiple occasions and still have more rewards to use. Hubby and I both fill up on one reward so we save $70-75 each time we use a reward. I have saved over $500 alone this year on gas!!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Of course Disney will accept the gift cards, even when they have to process each individual one.

Far as I know, they are not paying the fees like they would if you put it all on your visa.

Honestly with the Target promo, the only one losing out right now IS Target. You spend $50, but then get $10 off which I used against my next purchase of $50 in gift cards.

I bought enough to pay off our DVC maintenance fees for the year, spending money for our upcoming cruise, and 4 additional restaurant gift cards for the trip down and the extra day we're staying in Cocoa Beach!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Bought $600 in Disney GC and $40 in Target GC, for $520. Also, used my Disney Visa Rewards platinum and Target is considered grocery, hence additional 2%.

Now, if I could simply go online and move the balance around into one GC, it would be ideal. Otherwise, I'll have my TA read off 12 codes - each GC is $50.
'13 (POR), '13 (3n Magic)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

okay, just applied and was approved for a target credit card. i still have to reread tons of the suggestions cause i'm still fuzzy on it all but i'm good to go! now, wait for card in mail and take a few day trips across the boarder.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #24
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
okay, just applied and was approved for a target credit card. i still have to reread tons of the suggestions cause i'm still fuzzy on it all but i'm good to go! now, wait for card in mail and take a few day trips across the boarder.
So I did it today tinkerone and I have to say its only a little bit crazy to think you're going to pay for the whole cruise this way. The first glitch was the fact that when your card is new, Target puts an artificial limit on the amount of charges it will allow until it "matures." I had to call Target HQ today b/c the charges for 20 cards were being rejected at the register...no cause given...only found out by calling HQ. They suggested going for a smaller number for first 2-3 transactions, then they will automatically increase the amount of allowed charges. They could not say exactly how much the card was limited to, they said they didn't have that information, but 10 cards worked so I suppose it's probably about $500 at first. I have a debit card, so I don't really know if same is true for credit card or not. Second glitch is Disney apparently only allows 10 cards to be processed each day, which I guess is doable. Third glitch is DU website will take the cards, but it's not obvious how to log them in. A quick call to DU helps with that, basically put the card number in where it says credit card number and ignore the cvv2 and expiration boxes, leave them blank. Under notes at the bottom record 1 of 10, 2 of 10, etc as you go. You can use your browser's last page button to make the process much faster after submitting each one, just have to refill out the password and new card # each time. Takes about 5 minutes, not too bad.

I have to say from an environmental protection standpoint, this process is really stupid. My plan is to keep all the cards until a couple months after the cruise, verify that there is no value left on each card, and then recycle them.

Is all this worth it? I don't really know. If I continue the process and pay the remaining balance this way, we'll save $290. That's a 7 day premium wine package right there.

Good luck with your experiment!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911 View Post
So I did it today tinkerone and I have to say its only a little bit crazy to think you're going to pay for the whole cruise this way. The first glitch was the fact that when your card is new, Target puts an artificial limit on the amount of charges it will allow until it "matures." I had to call Target HQ today b/c the charges for 20 cards were being rejected at the register...no cause given...only found out by calling HQ. They suggested going for a smaller number for first 2-3 transactions, then they will automatically increase the amount of allowed charges. They could not say exactly how much the card was limited to, they said they didn't have that information, but 10 cards worked so I suppose it's probably about $500 at first. I have a debit card, so I don't really know if same is true for credit card or not. Second glitch is Disney apparently only allows 10 cards to be processed each day, which I guess is doable. Third glitch is DU website will take the cards, but it's not obvious how to log them in. A quick call to DU helps with that, basically put the card number in where it says credit card number and ignore the cvv2 and expiration boxes, leave them blank. Under notes at the bottom record 1 of 10, 2 of 10, etc as you go. You can use your browser's last page button to make the process much faster after submitting each one, just have to refill out the password and new card # each time. Takes about 5 minutes, not too bad.

I have to say from an environmental protection standpoint, this process is really stupid. My plan is to keep all the cards until a couple months after the cruise, verify that there is no value left on each card, and then recycle them.

Is all this worth it? I don't really know. If I continue the process and pay the remaining balance this way, we'll save $290. That's a 7 day premium wine package right there.

Good luck with your experiment!
thanks for the info, VERY helpful. i agree, it seems like a bit of work but that $290 looks better in my pocket than dcl's.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: