Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #2011
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Okay catching up. The chairs still creep me out.
I have the dvc car magnet, keychain and a t-shirt. LOLOh and the clear plastic bottle in the pic.
The villa looked so nice. Sad it is the last day.
I hope when we drive we donít get off the wrong exit. Vinny is cheap and will yell that I had to pay twice. LOL
Great recap of the trip.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #2012
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Thank you Mary Ellen, I really loved read your TR. You take such great pictures and help us all feel like we've been right there with you.
Thanks so much Camille. So glad to have you join in to my TR and I'm really glad you enjoyed it and my pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
I can't wait to read about your trip with Cynthia.
I just uploaded all my cell pictures from the first day so I am really gearing up now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Great recap of your trip, wow, that must have been a pain in the @#$ to do though!
I worked on it a little at a time, which I never do. But I still only had about 5 updates done. The rest I did on the fly. Yeah - I was pretty sick of it but the 9th and 10th post. I was feeling a little like this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Can't wait for the final thoughts and then the next TR!
I hope to post final thoughts tonight or tomorrow and then its time for the new TR to begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
IT'S TODD!!!!!!!!! ( paul is the faded one)
You're right. I actually went back to check because I keep thinking Todd should be the faded one and Paul should be the colored one. Not sure why, but I just think it should be reversed!

Quote:
Nice recap!!! So great to recap a trip and relive the memories.
It really was a fun trip and I enjoyed going back through my pics, despite it being a tad labor intensive.

Quote:
I hope the BW waitlist comes through for me in May.
I hope so do. I think its great that you are switching things up a bit, but since BCV is your home resort, you can't go wrong either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Okay catching up.
Yeah! Thanks for stopping by and be on the look out for the start of my new TR within the week!

Quote:
The chairs still creep me out.
You and everyone else. Honestly, is there anyone out there NOT creeped out by those chairs.

Quote:
I have the dvc car magnet, keychain and a t-shirt. LOLOh and the clear plastic bottle in the pic.
I love the magnet, but I already have the HHI DVC sticker and I just added one from Rehoboth Beach, so I was afraid my back window might be getting cluttered.

Quote:
The villa looked so nice. Sad it is the last day.
Have you stayed there? If not, you should give it a try. Very different from SSR, but in a good way. Both resorts have so many plusses.

Quote:
I hope when we drive we donít get off the wrong exit. Vinny is cheap and will yell that I had to pay twice. LOL
Vinny sounds like me. Double paying a toll is definitely something that irritates me and it really shouldn't

Quote:
Great recap of the trip.
Thanks!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #2013
MEK
DIS Veteran

Firsts, Foremost, and Final Thoughts

So here it is - My very last update for this TR. You're happy about that right????

Foremost -

Lastly - I want to thank everyone who followed this trip report and commented, whether you commented once or 20 times. I met some new readers and DIS friends through the trip report and I reconnected with my old DIS friends. I look forward to sharing more memories with you in my next trip report which will be starting soon.

Firsts -

Hard to believe that my trip was 6 months ago and in less than 6 months I will be returning. Yeah. Oh wait Ė is it really a Yeah? I said I wasnít going back in June because I donít like the heat and crowds. But I think I can suck it up one more time. It is for my nephews, after all and I love them.

So this trip was filled with many ďfirstsĒ, as most Disney trips are. I wonít belabor that point. How about if I just get on with it.

Transportation Firsts-

The most obvious first is the fact that we flew out of a completely new airport this trip. Yup Ė thatís right Ė ABE or Lehigh Valley International was new to us and I LOVED it. Seriously. What a great experience. Yeah, it takes almost an hour more than driving to BWI, and its a lot longer than flying out of Philly, but it was great. Whatís not to like about no lines, a curbside drop off, and on time departures?

I am genuinely sorry that Air Tran pulled its service from ABE. And Frontier has pulled their service already. Seriously people Ė if you live in the Philly region, you missed a great opportunity to fly from an awesome small airport. Well, worth driving a little further.

Nuff said. I hope some carrier comes back so we can fly from there again. We got to see Dennyís mom and have Dennyís brother drop us off. That alone, made the extra drive worth it. I'm just orry I didnít discover this little airport gem sooner.

In other transportation firsts, I am sure this is the first time we rented a Mitsubishi Galant. If you ever rent one, my word of advice is donít start looking for a gas cap release inside the car. It doesnít exist. Just push on that gas cap like you mean it and youíll be just fine and you wonít be the cause of traffic back-ups at the pump.

Travel Companions -

Iíve traveled to Disney world alone, on girlís trips, with my immediate family, and with another couple, but this is the first time I have traveled with my extended family. If you remember the beginning of my TR you know that originally it was almost impossible to get my brotherís family to commit to this trip. And even when they were there, I wasnít sure if they were even having fun.

But as you can see, the pixie dust hit full force and they are very excited about their return trip. What makes this even better is, since they have been to the parks, they have an idea of what they want and donít want to ride. In other words, they are finally vested in the planning. I expect park planning will go much better this June and I truly hope that meltdowns are a thing of the past.

They have for Biergarten in June and, of course, to return to WPE. Anyone shocked about that?

But I have a little surprise for them. Yesterday I booked a Fantasmic dinner package for all of us at Mama Melrose. Technically, its a lunch fantasmic package. Lunch at MM was cheaper than dinner at Hollywood & Vine, and I haven't eaten at MM in forever. So Denny said to do it and it will be our treat.

Oh - and since I am already off topic - I also booked Denny and I at Be Our Guest. I just have to try to it. I have too. Plus there's wine there. I'll have Cynthia tell me what I should order ahead of time. She is my personal sommelier and I love her for that.

DIS meets -

I definitely feel a lot more comfortable than I ever did with DIS meets. I was so nervous for my first DIS meet several years ago. But each meet had gotten progressively easier. I mean, come on, I feel like I already know you guys by the time I meet you. I love that. During our June trip I had my first DIS meet with Anita, Marc, and Baylor (and Jen who I already met).

Unfortunately, we missed Anita and Marc in October, because their APs had just expired, but I just learned they will be staying at the BC the same week we are there this June. So Yeah Ė now I am hoping to see Marc, Anita, Mary, Kathy, Cayley and Avery. How great is that? I am also hoping to see Dawn and Caitlin later in the week. My fingers are crossed very tightly for that because our trips may barely overlap.

It's great to know that this June will be another time to have some great DIS meets.

And speaking of DIS meets, I know for sure that I will see Bill (saints tickets) and his DW in October because our trips overlap during F&W. So can I get another Hip Hip Hooray!

Dining -

Another first for me was the Quick Service Dining Plan. I have done the regular dining plan and the deluxe dining plan. My overall opinion of Disney dining is that while the price has gone up, the quality may be heading down a bit. Thatís a bummer. Right now I think the TIW card works well for me, but they just jacked the price again. It was only $60 the first time I bought it. Then it was $75 last December. Now itís $100. Seriously? That stinks. I wanted to buy a new one this June and I will be lucky to break even during that trip. Of course, I will use it again in the fall, but still.

So what did I think of the QS Dining Plan? Even though I was pretty "eh" on the idea, I think it worked out great for our party of 9. I mean - there was no way we were going to do a bunch of table services meals with that group, so this was the perfect alternative. I also discovered some new QS eateries that I really enjoyed. For example, my three top favorites were WPE, the Pepper Market, and the Tangerine Cafe. These were also "firsts" for me!

Here's the Pepper Market

And WPE

Not only was the food really yummy, but the value was good. Plus, in June when its crowded and park touring requires more time, saving time and eating efficiently was a major plus. And, as you may recall, my analysis showed we definitely saved some $. So, while I won't rush to do the QSDP for an adult trip, I would definitely use it again for a family trip that involves children.

There were a couple other restaurant firsts this trip. Bistro de Paris was a first and I definitely enjoyed it for overall experience. It was definitely a treat for us and the view of Illuminations were wonderful.

Another first for us was Boma Breakfast. I definitely recommend a late breakfast at Boma. The food was hot, fresh, and delicious and it was wonderful to have the whole restaurant to ourselves.

This was also the first time we sampled the chocolate goodness from the Karamel Kuche. It was so relish. But we ended up never eating our chocolate strawberry because we left it at K&T's house. They even put it in a pretty little plastic container.

Here's another food first - the tuna salad at sunshine seasons.

It is quite possible that this was my first Mickey Waffle

And a drink first - a grapefruit margarita at DTD

Resorts -

When I joined DVC one of my goals was to visit all of the DVC resorts at WDW and on the East Coast. Well, with my stay at BWV, I accomplished just that. That's right - I have stayed at SSR, Vero, Animal Kingdom, VWL, BLT, BCV, Hilton Head, OKW, the treehouse villas, and BWV, in that order. One of the things I love about DVC is the flexibility. And I love all the DVC resorts because they each have their unique character. See what I mean - SSR sometimes gets a bad rap, but who doesn't love this view of DTD?

So now that I have visited them all - what's next? Well, I hope that in fall of 2014 I finally visit DL resort and get to add the Grand Californian to my list.

As far as WDW resorts. I can't wait to try the GF DVC resort and I really, really want to stay in one of those little mermaid rooms in AoA.

Another first this trip was our visit to AOA. Yeah, I know, we didn't stay there (although I want to), but it was so fun taking a tour of the property.

Pools -

I added a few "first" pools during this trip. As you may have noticed - pool time was really big for me this trip. I think we were so fortunate to have great weather every day and next to no afternoon thunderstorms. New pools for me this trip were the treehouse pool, the Grandstand pool, the BWV quiet pool, and the quiet pool at the Boardwalk Inn.

Park Attractions -

I have been to Disneyworld more times than I can accurately count, so its pretty hard for me to do a new attraction. But I did accomplish a "first". This was the first time I watched the Main Street Electric Light Parade and the first time I watched the Magic, Memories, and You show. They were both so enjoyable. Watching the castle all aglow in a myriad of colors, was just breathtaking.

Oh wait - Here's a first

(of course, I had a little help when the ride stopped)

Final Thoughts

Overall, this was a great trip. However, for the first time I think I developed some park "burn out". June is HOT and June is CROWDED. Couple that with the fact that there aren't a lot of new things for me to see and I found myself wanting to run out of the parks by early afternoon.

See what I mean by crowded. This is the line to the TTA or Blue Line.

And the line for IASW

Quite simply, I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the resorts and the amazing pools more than I enjoyed touring the parks. And you know what - I didn't feel guilty about this. I just went with it.

I will say that the evenings in the world were amazing. Every evening the humidity dropped and the parks were glorious. In fact, during our last evening while watching the fireworks from the Poly Beach, it was actually a little chilly. Hard to believe, but if I had a light sweater or jacket, I would have put it on.

So how will I handle the heat this June? Well, I'm not going to worry about it. Since we are staying off site I won't have wonderful Disney pools to escape to, but if I can't take the heat, I'll just head on out and return in the evening. We will have the PAP so that means a water park (or two) will be in our future plans.

Future trips -

I always like to do a little blurb about Future Trips, even though its pretty obvious what we are doing.

April 8th is a return to Hilton Head Island. This time its a couples trip

June 8th is our return to WDW staying outside the park.

And October 24th we return to WDW for F&W for 3 nights, then we cruise for 4 nights, then return to WDW for a little more F&W. This is a milestone birthday trip for the Denster. Right now my reservation is at VWL for all 7 nights, but I plan to try to switch the first 3 nights to BWV. I'm not sure about the last 4 nights. It really depends if our friends decide to come with us. Either way, I may switch to AKL unless Denny has a burning desire to stay at VWL.

So that's it and once again - thank you all for following my TR and sticking with me to the end.

Don't forget that I will be starting our F&W trip report soon. Please stay tuned to this TR for when I post the link!

Thanks and may you all have a magical day.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #2014
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the awesome report! Great writing and spectacular pictures.

I enjoyed getting to know you and your family over these past few months!

Ready when you are for the October report!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #2016
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Thanks for the awesome report! Great writing and spectacular pictures.

I enjoyed getting to know you and your family over these past few months!

Ready when you are for the October report!
You are so welcome. It was fun and it was great getting to know you, too. I hate to say goodbye to this TR, but now its time to start working on the next one.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #2017
JoshMom5
Now residing in ONEderland!!
My birthday wish was for some color

I've enjoyed your report and am a little sad to see it end, but I look forward to your next one.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #2018
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMom5 View Post
I've enjoyed your report and am a little sad to see it end, but I look forward to your next one.
Thanks Paula. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm a little sad to see it end, too, but the next report is going to be so different. It's very DIS heavy as we had lots of meets and tons of fun.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #2019
MEK
DIS Veteran

So I just learned about the shooting in Connecticut. I had no idea. I shopped all day today and never heard anyone mention it. I can't believe I didn't know. I am saddened and sickened. It's not even enough to say that my thought and prayers are with those children and their families.

I'm speechless.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #2020
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
....the next report is going to be so different. It's very DIS heavy as we had lots of meets and tons of fun.
Can't wait!!

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #2021
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Great TR as usual. I know about the burn out, sort of had it this time myself. We did a lot of resort time & left the parks around 8 in the evenings.

You do have quite a few trips coming up in the new year. I will be looking forward to them also.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Old 12-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #2022
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures. Thanks so much for sharing. Love that the magic has worn off on your brothers family

The whole shooting thing is so awful I can't think about it.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #2024
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Great wrap-up of your trip! I am really looking forward to your October TR.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #2025
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Fabulous wrap up. You had a pretty good trip. I am glad your brother drank the koolaid.
Sorry Jen - I didn't even see this! Not sure why. D'oh! Thanks!

Yup - he totally drank the koolaid. It ail be interesting to see what he thinks about staying off site versus on site. Either way, he is pretty psyched for this upcoming trip.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: