Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Insurance if driving to port?

Hi,

So, I'm looking at driving down to Miami from NJ - I will be looking at getting insurance thru either Disney or someone else - question is does DCL or others cover you in the event you get stuck with your car on the drive down?

If DCL doesn't, does any other insurance does? I do have AAA but was looking at booking thru another TA for better OBC.

TIA.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Hi,

So, I'm looking at driving down to Miami from NJ - I will be looking at getting insurance thru either Disney or someone else - question is does DCL or others cover you in the event you get stuck with your car on the drive down?

If DCL doesn't, does any other insurance does? I do have AAA but was looking at booking thru another TA for better OBC.

TIA.
Insurance is designed to cover whatever non-refundable costs are involved in your vacation.

DCL insurance only covers whatever you pay for through DCL. For example, if you book your own flights, then DCL will not cover any losses because of flight issues. If your flights were purchased through DCL, then they would cover whatever losses you would have that were related to flight issues. In your case, I'd say you'd probably need to purchase private insurance to cover the non-refundable portions of your vacation.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You'd have to look at the terms of the private insurance. I'm not aware of what the situation would be if your private vehicle breaks down. I do know that some require an airport to be closed for as much as 24 hours before they would kick in for a delayed or canceled flight! Ouch.

Basically, car problems, delayed flights, etc. are good reasons to plan to arrive at least a day before your cruise. That builds in a safety cushion in the event of a problem.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: