Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Mary T in PA

Mouseketeer

Which airport to fly into for DL?

I am looking at going to Disneyland and it's been over 30yrs since I've been to DL and we flew into LAX so I am sure alot of things have changed since then.

I can get good airfare on a nonstop flight to LAX but I hear horror stories about LAX.

SNA seems closer but isn't nonstop and not too much cheaper.

Suggestions and advice are needed..thanks!!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post
I am looking at going to Disneyland and it's been over 30yrs since I've been to DL and we flew into LAX so I am sure alot of things have changed since then.

I can get good airfare on a nonstop flight to LAX but I hear horror stories about LAX.

SNA seems closer but isn't nonstop and not too much cheaper.

Suggestions and advice are needed..thanks!!
SNA is closer, smaller, fewer people, shorter security lines, and less hassle. If it's cheaper than LAX, go for it!
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Huff
DIS Veteran

There are 5 airports serving the Los Angeles area. Here is their distance to Disneyland. LAX is a big airport and traffic on 405 south can be horrible. Off rush hour times can be fine though. SNA, LGB, ONT and BUR are all much smaller airports very easy to get in and out of.

SNA 12 miles
LAX 35 miles
LGB 18 miles
ONT 32 miles
BUR 40 miles
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
deej696
They say the recipe for Sprite is lemon and lime, but I tried to make it at home....There's more to it than that!

Flown into LAX for both of our trips to DL. No problems either time. Hopped right on the Super Shuttle, and we were at the resort within an hour of getting off the plane. Of course, we always carry on bags and arrived late at night both times...

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas.
deej696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Twinprincesses
DIS Veteran

We have done both LAX and SNA. SNA was cheaper for us this trip.
Disney Dream October 2011
Vero Beach 7/2010
Disney Wonder 10/2009, Disney Magic 10/2008
Disneyland 10/2007 & 10/2006 , DisneyWorld 20+ trips

Twinprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
NWT
Thought the swim was more thrilling

We have flown into the LAX every trip. It is fine. We always take the Disneyland Express Bus to our hotel in Anaheim.
October 2004 - 2nd DD's 1st trip to Disneyland
February 2007 - Our 1st Disney Cruise - 4 day Wonder & 1st trip to Walt Disney World
January 2009 - Just Momma and DD9 to Disneyland
Dec 31, 2009 to Jan 9, 2010- Disneyland - Just Momma, DH and DD10 (DD17 went to New York)
June 2012 - Just Momma and DD20 Disney World - Star Wars Weekend!
Jan 27 - Feb 7, 2013 Niece's first trip!
NWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Maleficent59
Mouseketeer

If you haven't already booked airfare, my recommendation is to fly into SNA if the difference in cost isn't too great. SNA is a lot more relaxed and very convenient to DLR. Car rentals are conveniently located on-site. If you do not plan to drive, the SuperShuttle rate from SNA to the hotels around Disneyland is very reasonable: $10 per person.

LAX is more congested and a little more difficult to navigate. Car rentals are mostly off-site and the Super Shuttle rate is $16pp.

Either is fine, but my personal preference is SNA (if you're flying Southwest, the airport monitors say Santa Ana - not Orange or John Wayne). Good luck!
Maleficent59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Mary T in PA

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent59 View Post
If you haven't already booked airfare, my recommendation is to fly into SNA if the difference in cost isn't too great. SNA is a lot more relaxed and very convenient to DLR. Car rentals are conveniently located on-site. If you do not plan to drive, the SuperShuttle rate from SNA to the hotels around Disneyland is very reasonable: $10 per person.

LAX is more congested and a little more difficult to navigate. Car rentals are mostly off-site and the Super Shuttle rate is $16pp.

Either is fine, but my personal preference is SNA (if you're flying Southwest, the airport monitors say Santa Ana - not Orange or John Wayne). Good luck!
Thanks...how is the driving from SNA to DL?
Mary T in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
cagirl4life
with just a little bit of pixie dust.... you can FLY!

I hate driving in California but the drive from SNA to Disneyland is a breeze!

DL: to many times to count
WDW: July 1998 (Off Site); February 2006 (CBR); April 2006 (AS Sports); February 2007 (ASM); February 2008 (ASM); April 2008 (CBR); June 2008 (SSR); January 2010 (AS Sports)
cagirl4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Mary T in PA

Mouseketeer

Thank you ALL!

I am now looking to book a great airfare from PIT to SNA in early to mid June with a decent stop at DFW..mid day arrival and a 9am return flight home.

I am not sure about renting a car or taking the shuttle...since so many of you said the drive isn't too bad and the airport isn't too bad to navigate, we may try to rent.

IS parking onsite at DL bad?? Or did I misread?
Mary T in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post
Thank you ALL!

I am now looking to book a great airfare from PIT to SNA in early to mid June with a decent stop at DFW..mid day arrival and a 9am return flight home.

I am not sure about renting a car or taking the shuttle...since so many of you said the drive isn't too bad and the airport isn't too bad to navigate, we may try to rent.

IS parking onsite at DL bad?? Or did I misread?
Parking at DL is easy. They've got electronic signs all around directing you to the parking lots and garages.

Renting a car at SNA is super easy as long as you don't go off-site. The on-site rentals are right in the parking garage across from baggage claim. 200 ft, one elevator, another 100-200 ft and you're there.

If the rates aren't too much different, don't go for the off-site rentals. Renting on-site will save at least a half hour. The tricky thing is guessing which one to use. I had several reservations and cancelled all but the lowest rate. Avis had a line about 8 deep, while Enterprise had only one person ahead of me. It's tough figuring out what you'll see.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
ahutton
WDW Bride Dec 6, 1996

If you won't use your car during the trip, a cab is also fairly inexpensive from SNA. DH took one and it was a breeze. There is so much in walking distance around DL that unless you are visiting other attractions you may not use it. I drove on both visits (DH was there for part of one trip) and once we parked the car at the hotel we never used it again. And most area hotels charge for daily parking.

Proud Second Generation SwanDolphin Cheerleader
ahutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahutton View Post
If you won't use your car during the trip, a cab is also fairly inexpensive from SNA. DH took one and it was a breeze. There is so much in walking distance around DL that unless you are visiting other attractions you may not use it. I drove on both visits (DH was there for part of one trip) and once we parked the car at the hotel we never used it again. And most area hotels charge for daily parking.
Agree. Last time we rented a car it just sat in the hotel parking lot. Now we catch the shuttle or a cab.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
swooshbear
Earning My Ears

Agree with the last post. If you don't plan to leave DL, then a cab or shuttle is the way to go. Parking at DL is $15, plus you will pay for parking at the hotel - $15+ depending where you stay.
swooshbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
travelmomof3
Earning My Ears

We also chose to fly into SNA for same reasons others mentioned--main one being proximity to Disneyland

travelmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: