Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Anek0618
Mouseketeer

Disney Fantasy Room Categories!!

I am looking at booking onto the Fantasy for Nov 2013. We have sailed once before on the Wonder to the Mexican Riviera and loved it so it's time for another! Now, I am looking at all the room categories and I am overwhelmed It will either be an oceanview or a verandah room, but any advice would be greatly appreciated! Especially in terms of the various categories within the categories!

I am leaning towards a verandah room because they are more mid-ship, but with the fantasy being SO large I don't even know if movement is an issue!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
canyoncam
Mouseketeer

The differnces within a cat are in relation to where the cabin is on the ship. An 8B oceanview on deck 9 forward is the same as and 8D on deck 6 aft. The same applies for verandahs. The major differences to the room occur between deluxe and family staterooms. An 8 oceanview has bigger windows and more space than an 9. The 4 verandah has more space inside than the 5-7.

Personally I like more inside space and don't spend much time on a personal verandah so would choose a family oceanview over a deluxe verandah because of the space and it would be somewhat cheaper. Definatly cheaper than a family verandah.
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

We were on Deck 7 in an aft verandah and there was quite a bit of vibration at night and whenever docking at the ports. My DD slept in the upper berth the first night and said it felt as if she were on a vibrating bed in a cheap motel - she slept in the queen bed after the first night. Others have reported asking for a stateroom change due to the vibrations. The vibrations were obviously noticeable but we didn't ask to be moved. I would suggest a mid-ship stateroom if you or your family are light sleepers.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
tweis
DIS Veteran

We had a cat 8D on the Dream this past summer and it was great. It was a deluxe family oceanview aft on deck 6. For our upcoming Fantasy cruise we again booked a cat 8D only this time it is forward on deck 6. It really made no difference to us in regards of where it was on the ship, we just really liked that particular category. We never felt movement from the ship so hopefully that will not be an issue for you. We do not feel that we spend enough time in our room to warrant the price of a veranda so we will stick to cat 8.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

Whether to get a verandah or not really comes down to how much you think you will use it.

Lots of people report that they spend little to no waking time in their stateroom and so don't feel like there's any reason to pay extra for the verandah. On the other hand, I really appreciate the verandah because it's a place the adults can go to late at night or early in the morning while the rest of the family is asleep.

We've cruised twice in verandah rooms (once on the Dream and once on the Fantasy) and I don't think I'd want to cruise again without one, but that's just me.

You say you went on the Wonder before - how much did you use the stateroom on that cruise? Think about your family's morning and evening routines and whether it would be useful/helpful to have an extra space while kids are falling asleep or before kids wake up in the morning. The Fantasy's 7-day cruises include 2 days at sea - while there is plenty to do on the board, are you going to have periods of time where kids just want to sit in the room and watch TV? What do you like to do on vacation? Personally, I love just sitting on the verandah and reading - I can't imagine a cruise without one.
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Anek0618
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the input! I have made a reservation for a category 8A room! I really liked the look of them with the 2 portholes and what appears to be a bit more floor space. I know the bathroom is different, but that really isn't a concern for us.

On our last cruise we really didn't spend a lot of time in the room so I opted to save a few bucks and go without the verandah.

I am so excited to check out the Fantasy!! Now, to start investigating port adventures.....
Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
gunka
DIS Veteran

Difference in Verandah Rooms

My family has a similar question. We definitely want a Verandah Room, but are not sure of the differences, specifically the Navigators - are they all the same? The Wonder has on open air port hole, I am assuming the new ships just have lost space to the metal outside facade. Are there any other differences? Are the other categories - mainly surround location? More or less for an aft/forward/mid room and more for a room on a higher floor?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
CanadianMomma
Earning My Ears

We had a family deluxe verandah room on our first cruise. I gotta say that we really didn't use the verandah as much as we thought we would. We did watch the dolphins play along the ship as we set sail which was nice. I love the verandah rooms but in the name of saving money I went with the ocean view porthole on our next cruise because we didn't use it as much as I thought.
CanadianMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

We will stick with verandas and have one booked for each of our next 4 cruises. I need the fresh air right there to help with queasiness. DH doesn't use the veranda but I'm out there at least once a day to read.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
susiee
Earning My Ears

We booked a 4 something and were on 7 midship. Our room was lovely!!! Honestly did not feel much motion at all - a slight vibration in the bed but not disturbing to either of us at all.
We loved having the large sliding doors and the ability to sit outside. My DH gets up early, and he enjoyed sitting outside with coffee early in the a.m. While we didn't hang out on the verandah drinking wine at night like I envisioned (long days and sick DH) we loved having the curtains open to enjoy the view. Had insomnia one night and totally enjoyed hanging out on the verandah for a half hour.
I know it is pricier, but we already booked verandah again - worth the money to us for sure.
susiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anek0618 View Post
Thanks for all the input! I have made a reservation for a category 8A room! I really liked the look of them with the 2 portholes and what appears to be a bit more floor space. I know the bathroom is different, but that really isn't a concern for us.

On our last cruise we really didn't spend a lot of time in the room so I opted to save a few bucks and go without the verandah.

I am so excited to check out the Fantasy!! Now, to start investigating port adventures.....
We had an 8A last summer on the Fantasy and it was amazing. We didn't really miss the veranda because the portholes are HUGE! The room is so spacious. We would definitely book it again. We have a ds (7 on the cruise) so the not-split bath wasn't a huge deal for us. Might be if you had a teenage daughter or something!

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunka View Post
My family has a similar question. We definitely want a Verandah Room, but are not sure of the differences, specifically the Navigators - are they all the same? The Wonder has on open air port hole, I am assuming the new ships just have lost space to the metal outside facade.
Have you seen these photos?
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2586763
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
gunka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Very Helpful. Thank you very much.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

we've always had a verandah room and will continue to do so...we had room 10554 on our August WC cruise on the Fantasy....motion was not a problem- noise from deck 11 was a huge issue....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: