Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #106
SheilaHeartsDisney
Yay Me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprinkle24 View Post
I love this idea! Can you tell me what site you go to?
We ussualy just type in google (whatever the person's name is) soundboard and you'll get a bunch of hits. We pick the one that has the most sayings. Most of the time they hang up but some times we just hear them laughing on the other end and telling us to have a nice day.
SheilaHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #107
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennywife View Post
OMG.....the stories I could tell. I had someone who actually told me i should kill myself because I had the audacity to interrupt his precious day.
Yeah ... I got that one too. "Why don't you just die?" I answered with "Why don't you just hang up the phone?"

People are strange.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #108
Rence
Anyone who puts fashion above all else can't be all bad

All you folks who think it is awful to play mind games with telemarketers seem to forget that they are breaking the law by calling those of us on the Do Not Call List. I do not need to be polite because I have already very politely let them know not to call me by putting my name on the state and federal do not call list.

Most of the time I don't answer or just hang up (why be polite to a crook). But if I time to spare, I will toy with them depending on my mood. I did not ask them to call, in fact I told them not to call. I've done my part - they absolutely deserve what they get.

I understand that jobs can be scarce - but I still don't buy that as an excuse for taking a job that requires you to break the law. Why not take a job as a pick pocket or car thief?

If the person calling is doing a political call, a survey, or is with a company I've done business with, than I am always polite - because I know they are doing their job and not breaking the law.
Rence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #109
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
It's so easy to say "no thank you" and hang up. It's easy and kinder and a lot less stressful than trying to make a stranger miserable.

What a thread.
Agree.
Plus I think it's funny people get mad about being disturbed by the calls, but then spend time "messing with" the callers. Who even has time for that?
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #110
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Great that you don't respect the profession. Take your anger out on the company, not the human being on the phone.

There've been some great suggestions here - remind them not to call you, don't answer the phone, say "no", just hang up.

But deliberately use one's sharp tongue to berate the human being on the phone earning a living? No. Save that for the company.
I'm so glad that I went to school for - let's see, 11 years of college now - for what was described to me as a professional / graduate degree. I could have gotten into the profession of telemarketing. Dangit. I always thought that professions were jobs that required advanced skills. I'm so glad to come onto the internet today and find out the real truth. Ha!

I seriously just tell them I am not interested at this time and to please not call back. I am on the do not call list and have not had any recent issues - but if I did have issues, I could see myself getting upset very easily.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #111
denisem
DIS Veteran

*not worth it*

Last edited by denisem; 12-13-2012 at 11:45 PM.
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #112
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvestodizz View Post
Tonight I got a call from microsoft windows about a software problem that causes ads to pop up. The nice man with Indian accent offered to fix it. He wanted me to go to ammy.com and he would remotely control my pc. Of ourse he never said that was his goal. I made up an ID number which of course ddn't work. He tried a few times and had me try another site. I "downloaded" the next thing and he asked if a pop up came up. I said yes and it said the person on the phone is trying to remotely control your PC. He hung up very quickly!
I had great fun with the last one, again a nice indian gentleman went through their routine and he started telling me to hit the start button, I said I cant see a start button but I do have a small apple symbol in the top left hand of my computer at which point he put the phone down.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #113
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rence View Post
All you folks who think it is awful to play mind games with telemarketers seem to forget that they are breaking the law by calling those of us on the Do Not Call List. I do not need to be polite because I have already very politely let them know not to call me by putting my name on the state and federal do not call list.

Most of the time I don't answer or just hang up (why be polite to a crook). But if I time to spare, I will toy with them depending on my mood. I did not ask them to call, in fact I told them not to call. I've done my part - they absolutely deserve what they get.

I understand that jobs can be scarce - but I still don't buy that as an excuse for taking a job that requires you to break the law. Why not take a job as a pick pocket or car thief?

If the person calling is doing a political call, a survey, or is with a company I've done business with, than I am always polite - because I know they are doing their job and not breaking the law.

The employee doesn't know if you're on the DNC list. They get the numbers from their employer. Blame the company they work for. The person calling you isn't isn't intentionally "breaking the law".

Playing games with the person calling you trying to make a living is so unbelievably childish.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #114
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
The employee doesn't know if you're on the DNC list. They get the numbers from their employer. Blame the company they work for. The person calling you isn't isn't intentionally "breaking the law".

Playing games with the person calling you trying to make a living is so unbelievably childish.
They do it with charity calls too. It is always interesting. I used to make calls on behalf of the charities for donation pick-ups and people would do the same things to me occassionally. It was what it was, even though I believe charities are exempt. If you have nothing to donate, just say "no thanks" and we move on...if you want to be removed we make a notation and send it back when we return the list. Nothing we can do about it if it is still on the list the next month to call. Then again, I work retail and it usually tends to jade you on humanity in general on occassion.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #115
Carl
DIS Veteran

I think some of you are combining the scammers with the telemarketers. I wouldn't mess with the person trying to sell something legitimate. I'd just say, "No thank you." But, the people trying to scam you - that's a different story. They deserve what ever they get.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #116
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
I'm so glad that I went to school for - let's see, 11 years of college now - for what was described to me as a professional / graduate degree. I could have gotten into the profession of telemarketing. Dangit. I always thought that professions were jobs that required advanced skills. I'm so glad to come onto the internet today and find out the real truth. Ha!
Perhaps when you came onto the internet, you should have also checked a dictionary.

While a "profession" is defined as "a vocation requiring knowledge of some department of learning or science", the second definition listed is "any vocation or business". Since telemarking and sales are, indeed, businesses (and, for some, vocations), being a telemarketer could, indeed, be defined as a "profession".

Congrats on those 11 years of college, and good luck! I know several people with graduate degrees who ended up in telemarketing and sales jobs for a while after grad school due to a crappy job market. Myself included.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #117
disykat
DIS Veteran

Playing games with the person on the phone doesn't get you removed from their list. Saying "please remove me from your list" does.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #118
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Also, just a reminder, you must re-register for the DNC list (I believe every 6 years). Your request does not last into perpetuity.

And, telemarketers are allowed some time to actually get your name off their lists. Telemarketing lists are developed in advance. So, they may have your number on the list even though you registered, say, last week. They are NOT violating the law when they call you under those circumstances.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #119
Rence
Anyone who puts fashion above all else can't be all bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
Playing games with the person on the phone doesn't get you removed from their list. Saying "please remove me from your list" does.
If they're not going to honor the Do Not Call list - they aren't going to honor this request.
Rence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #120
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
I totally agree with you. If you were in a department store and walked by the perfume lady asking if you wanted a sample would you scream at her or blow a whistle directly into her ear? Of course not! Same difference.
Actually, I'd have to take her down...bear hug and to the floor...she's a perfume sniper.
dfchelbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: