Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
Stop making insurance dependent upon employment and pay for it just like you do auto or homeowners insurance and mandate that rates not be higher for non-employee group plans.

Get the government out of it as much as possible.

Keep decisions in the hands of the doctors and not an insurance administrator behind a desk 1,000 miles away deciding what treatment can and cannot be used.

Overhaul the justice system to better deal with frivolous lawsuits that drive up costs for everyone. Legitimate lawsuits are one thing, but so many just seem out of hand these days. If we stop thinking that a billion dollars is no big deal then we'll stop throwing cash around like we have unlimited funds and perhaps start trimming a little fat!

Stronger focus on preventative care rather than accute care, like with dentistry. There is a reason insurance usually covers 100% of two cleanings/check-ups each year - it saves a lot more money in the long run.
You should run for Presdient next time!
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #17
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
FYI....

My 17yodd has had open heart surgery. She is not insurable in the private market.

She cannot get private life insurance.

The only place she is going to be able to get insurance is through an employer.
Many employer-offered insurances are now also looking at "pre-existing conditions" & coverage or non-coverage of them. Scares me too, since I had open heart surgery as a child and may be looking at another one!
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Many employer-offered insurances are now also looking at "pre-existing conditions" & coverage or non-coverage of them. Scares me too, since I had open heart surgery as a child and may be looking at another one!
Ugh....Something has to change here.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
bbangel
My friends call me the font of useless knowledge

I watched this program and agree it was very interesting (and incredibly sad)
Made me very glad I live here and not there!

I hope that all the groups come together and as the one man said - agree that everyone deserves access to health care and work from there. It won't be easy (and the majority will think it sucks at first) but it can be done. No system is perfect, but losing your house because you have cancer or have a heart attack should just be unacceptable.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #20
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall*e2008 View Post
The person receiving treatment needs to have some vested interest in the cost. This will prevent someone from going to the ER for an runny nose. If you have to pay x% of the initial visit you will go to the GP for a runny nose, since the cost is less.

If you chose not to do preventative treatment, prenatal care, etc and then you get a huge bill that could have been diagnosed or prevented and not gotten the expensive treatment, you pay way more than the person who did the preventative care and needed that treatment.
This I agree with 100%. A few months ago I took my mom into the er on a Sunday afternoon with chest pains. It was like a party. There were people cutting up and laughing. The people they were there with-the patients were acting up too. They could have waited until the next day to see the GP. The patients had a runny nose.
People use the er as a primary doctor visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
Stop making insurance dependent upon employment and pay for it just like you do auto or homeowners insurance and mandate that rates not be higher for non-employee group plans.

Get the government out of it as much as possible.

Keep decisions in the hands of the doctors and not an insurance administrator behind a desk 1,000 miles away deciding what treatment can and cannot be used.

Overhaul the justice system to better deal with frivolous lawsuits that drive up costs for everyone. Legitimate lawsuits are one thing, but so many just seem out of hand these days. If we stop thinking that a billion dollars is no big deal then we'll stop throwing cash around like we have unlimited funds and perhaps start trimming a little fat!

Stronger focus on preventative care rather than acute care, like with dentistry. There is a reason insurance usually covers 100% of two cleanings/check-ups each year - it saves a lot more money in the long run.
In our state if a lawyer brings a frivolous suit, they're reprimanded and fined.

I agree with everything in your post.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #21
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

A 3 1/2 year old thread on health care resurrected by a new user who's only posts (4) are all on health care?

Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
A 3 1/2 year old thread on health care resurrected by a new user who's only posts (4) are all on health care?

I need to look at thread dates. This is the 3rd time I've replied to old threads in 1 week.
I do stand by my post though.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall*e2008 View Post
The person receiving treatment needs to have some vested interest in the cost. This will prevent someone from going to the ER for an runny nose. If you have to pay x% of the initial visit you will go to the GP for a runny nose, since the cost is less.

If you chose not to do preventative treatment, prenatal care, etc and then you get a huge bill that could have been diagnosed or prevented and not gotten the expensive treatment, you pay way more than the person who did the preventative care and needed that treatment.
Several doctors have said this. They found that many people go to the doctor and don't need to. Years ago I had a $2,700 deductible and had no problem with that. Appreciated it when I had a $50,000 operation.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post

I need to look at thread dates. This is the 3rd time I've replied to old threads in 1 week.
I do stand by my post though.
Darn, didn't look at the date either.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I think we need to cut the cost of health care. My mom is a retired RN.....all the hospitals here are non-profit.. and she always got mad because they all have to spent every penny they earn......so they buy expensive equipment of their own, instead of going in with another hospital in the area. So three hospitals within 3 miles of each other each have $1 million plus CT scanners, when there is only enough demand for 1.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Oh darn! I just did a search for this Frontline so I could watch it. I didn't see the date this thread was started. Sounds like it would have been good.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #27
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysnkaysmom View Post
I just wish there was a way everyone could have insurance.... that's it...
I wish we could turn back the clock and undo insurance. Or at least insurance in todays sense.

If it weren't for insurance and people had to pay out of pocket for everything, a pair of Tylenol in a hospital wouldn't cost $75. Health insurance should have been like car insurance is, for emergencies, not for oil changes or fresh tires.

Alas when everyone (or most everyone) has the attitude "insurance will cover it" people don't shop around, they don't ask questions, they just hand over a card and turn off their brains.

So how do we fix the broken system we have?

Competition. Number one, let insurance companies sell across state lines. Car insurance rates were cut in half when this happened in that industry.

Continuing in competition, allow other health care professionals to handle things only MD's can right now. Ie. a RN writing Rx's for things like strep throat.

Allow charities back into health care. Eliminate massive red tape and paperwork so more of the health care dollars go to treating patients and not complying with yet another useless bureaucratic rule with no basis in common sense.

Allow competition for pharmaceuticals by reducing costs for bringing products to market. It would let the little guys compete again and it would lead to better and more choices for consumers and MD's.

As it stands, the big companies have a virtual monopoly because no one else can afford to comply with current FDA regulations.

Until we address these cost issues, we can't fix it, and NOTHING that those in washington are suggesting will do anything to improve access, costs or care.

It's a terrible situation.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
I wish we could turn back the clock and undo insurance. Or at least insurance in todays sense.

If it weren't for insurance and people had to pay out of pocket for everything, a pair of Tylenol in a hospital wouldn't cost $75. Health insurance should have been like car insurance is, for emergencies, not for oil changes or fresh tires.

Alas when everyone (or most everyone) has the attitude "insurance will cover it" people don't shop around, they don't ask questions, they just hand over a card and turn off their brains.

So how do we fix the broken system we have?

Competition. Number one, let insurance companies sell across state lines. Car insurance rates were cut in half when this happened in that industry.

Continuing in competition, allow other health care professionals to handle things only MD's can right now. Ie. a RN writing Rx's for things like strep throat.

Allow charities back into health care. Eliminate massive red tape and paperwork so more of the health care dollars go to treating patients and not complying with yet another useless bureaucratic rule with no basis in common sense.

Allow competition for pharmaceuticals by reducing costs for bringing products to market. It would let the little guys compete again and it would lead to better and more choices for consumers and MD's.

As it stands, the big companies have a virtual monopoly because no one else can afford to comply with current FDA regulations.

Until we address these cost issues, we can't fix it, and NOTHING that those in washington are suggesting will do anything to improve access, costs or care.

It's a terrible situation.
Shame on you. You make sense.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #29
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Put a reasonable maximum price on all prescription drugs. I just paid $400 for a tube of cream smaller than a tube of toothpaste. That was after my insurance. Crazy!
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #30
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
Put a reasonable maximum price on all prescription drugs. I just paid $400 for a tube of cream smaller than a tube of toothpaste. That was after my insurance. Crazy!
Amen! Ds was prescribed $1200 worth of meds for acne. Crazy. Asked the dr. for a cheaper script--got it for $13. Nuts.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: