Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #31
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

I think the best thing you can do for your kids as their mother, ESPECIALLY after a prolonged period of stress as you've described, is to show them that self-care and family-care is important, and sometimes that means taking time off in a responsible way. Definitely go on the trip, you will not regret it!
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #32
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer
 
violetmonarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
You sound so stressed..

Why do you feel you need a meeting? You aren't asking for permission. You're just stating a fact, right? If I were you I wouldn't get the principal for counselor involved. I'd read a letter to her teacher, state the situation and leave it at that.

Yes, I am stressed because I have never planned anything like this before, and I want to do it right. I fear getting in trouble with the school district, lol, kinda like I am the student again, right!
But being a parent, single or not, presents stress. I thought that perhaps a meeting in person would better reflect my intentions about her leave, since the attendance becomes an issue when they miss more than 3 days in a 4 week period or miss 10 days in a 6 month period. I don't want to get served papers to appear in court. I read that they take this into consideration in a case-by-case basis.
__________________
Momma DD DS =



Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #33
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.
 
jjje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 692

I would start out by just writing a letter to the teacher. I don't know what thing are like at your kids' school but that's all we've ever needed to do. If the teacher has a problem with it then that would be the time to get other school officials involved. I pull my kids out of school for vacations and trips all the time and no one has ever given us so much as a second look about it.
__________________

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #34
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer
 
violetmonarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by starch139 View Post
Just one request, be sure to come back on here and tell us how much fun your family had on their trip! DCL will pamper you!

God-willing, I will do just that!
__________________
Momma DD DS =



Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
fluffsmom
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59

We went on the Fantasy in September. We took our three kids out of school for 6 days.... 5 were excused, 1 wasn't. We needed travel time to drive to Fl. We have a 3rd grader, 4th grader and a 6th grader. Homework was given to the kids. The 3rd grader had the most.
fluffsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #36
bahacca
Mouseketeer
 
bahacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: 15 minutes East of Disneyland
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
Yes, I am stressed because I have never planned anything like this before, and I want to do it right. I fear getting in trouble with the school district, lol, kinda like I am the student again, right!
But being a parent, single or not, presents stress. I thought that perhaps a meeting in person would better reflect my intentions about her leave, since the attendance becomes an issue when they miss more than 3 days in a 4 week period or miss 10 days in a 6 month period. I don't want to get served papers to appear in court. I read that they take this into consideration in a case-by-case basis.
Just go to the office and say "My daughter will be missing x number of days. I need to know what we need to do to get her work ahead of time so she can have it complete when we return."
My daughters' school has a contract the parent and student sign stating they have received the work and will complete it. At our school, it is financially BETTER for the school for the child to miss 5 days or more at once as, if the contract is signed, they still receive their funding for those students' days even though they missed. If we are gone 1-4 days, they lose out on that funding money.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #37
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer
 
violetmonarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
Just go to the office and say "My daughter will be missing x number of days. I need to know what we need to do to get her work ahead of time so she can have it complete when we return."
My daughters' school has a contract the parent and student sign stating they have received the work and will complete it. At our school, it is financially BETTER for the school for the child to miss 5 days or more at once as, if the contract is signed, they still receive their funding for those students' days even though they missed. If we are gone 1-4 days, they lose out on that funding money.

Wow, that is different than what I have read in my daughters school handbook. Over here, they basically threaten to take you to court for missing to many days, either in full or partial, sequential within a period of time. I just got an email back from the principal...lOl, I guess I should have come here before I sent that to her.
__________________
Momma DD DS =



Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 47,085

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
Yes, I am stressed because I have never planned anything like this before, and I want to do it right. I fear getting in trouble with the school district, lol, kinda like I am the student again, right!
But being a parent, single or not, presents stress. I thought that perhaps a meeting in person would better reflect my intentions about her leave, since the attendance becomes an issue when they miss more than 3 days in a 4 week period or miss 10 days in a 6 month period. I don't want to get served papers to appear in court. I read that they take this into consideration in a case-by-case basis.
Your worries are exactly why someone suggested that you talk to some of the parents of your daughter's classmates. Find those who have taken vacations (your daughter might be able to help you with this) to find out how nervous you should be.

Although we homeschool, I read threads like this often, and I have noticed that people say those "we'll serve you papers" notices are really meant for those people whose kids are out consistently, constantly. NOT for those who take ONE vacation in the whole school-life of their kids! It's out there as a possibility, but letting them know you're taking the kids out will let them know that they won't need to send the truancy officers out to find you guys.

My mom was always nervous doing anything out of the ordinary, but that's because she lived in fear that my dad would try to get custody of us (baseless fear, as we would have messed up his life too much...he couldn't even handle me being sick while at his place, and had my mom pick me up at 2am so he could still take my brother to a baseball game the next day). It doesn't sound like you have that fear, so first *find out* what the proper procedures are, and then do those. Don't just assume you have to sit down with everyone. I think you're making yourself more nervous than you need to be.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #39
bahacca
Mouseketeer
 
bahacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: 15 minutes East of Disneyland
Posts: 456

I'm sure policies vary WIDELY by area, school, etc. I even asked my daughter's teacher her thoughts on kids missing school and she said "I took my daughters out of school for trips. If they are good students and will catch up easily and what they'll learn on the trip is valuable, then do it."
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #40
moomy-san
DIS Veteran
 
moomy-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern AB
Posts: 746

Every year since kindergarten we have taken our kids out for 1-2 weeks to go to DL or a cruise. We didn't ask permission, just wrote a note explaining the reason for absence, and stating that our child would be responsible for making up any missed assignments in a timely manner when we returned. This has been well relieved and teachers always wished us a wonderful trip and asked to see lots of pictures.
In and of itself, this would be no big deal. But these big absences are in addition to both of my girl missing 1-3 hours a week for music lessons. My oldest daughter (12) misses 2/3 of her Tuesday afternoon to travel into the city to study harp. As this is her 9th year, even her school teachers have remarked how important it is for her to continue, even if she misses class.

To the OP, I hope you and your daughter are able to go on this vacation and leave your stress behind. Regardless of how her school reacts There is no substitute for family memories, lots of laughter and beautiful sunshine!! Have FUN!!!
__________________
Disneyland October 2005, January 2006, February 2007, January 2008, January 2010, February 2011, February 2012
DCL Mexican Riviera aboard the Wonder February 2011 and February 2012.
DCL B2B Bahamas and West Caribbean aboard the Wonder February 2013
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014


Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #41
braysmommy
DIS Veteran
 
braysmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western MA
Posts: 543

My son is only in Kindergarten but I just had his mid year parent teacher conference and she asked me if we were going to the Panama Canal....this is what happens when you talk vacation plans in front of children
I told her that we are, he will miss 3 weeks of school and that I would have him journal each day we were gone along with charting the position of boat for math.
She thought the trip sounded amazing and not to worry about what he will miss and suggested maybe only to journal every other day.
Guess the point of this is I would suggest letting the school know this week or next and get on to the ever important vacation planning phase
__________________
B2B EBTA and Med '14
B2B Wonder Bahamas and WBPC May '13
EBTA '11

Upcoming Southern Caribbean 1/16.
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #42
SnarkyHouston
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 12

Don't give it another thought - just go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch View Post
As I read through some threads about taking school-aged children out of class for a family vacation, I am hesitating taking our trip as planned...not because I fear that my middle-school aged daughter will have a hard time catching up with assignments, but rather because I feel I dont have the confidence to approach the teachers/principal about the subject.
I am single with two kiddos (ten years apart) and we have NEVER taken a vacation ANYWHERE, EVER! That said, this year has been a long, extremely stressful and emotionally taxing series of very unfortunate events. My thinking was that a good family trip, while being as educational as I can make it, would also serve as a shot of confidence or perhaps even just a reset that our little family needs.
Am I wrong for thinking that missing 5 school days are worth getting our family going off to a better start? I suppose that I am just putting this thought of mine out here for some feedback or maybe support.
If you have advice, I am happy to listen. Thanks so much for posting this exchange of information here&it does help to see what others go thru and their ideas.
We are going on a family cruise with my kids and parents in Feb. My parents are a retired teacher and principal. This will be the second year we have taken my daughter out of school for a vacation. When I first brought it up with my parents I was a little worried because they never took us on a trip during the school year. When I asked if they would like to go they said "Heck yeah!!" I told my mom my concerns and she said during the school year we couldn't go because they worked at the school. Let me tell you going when everyone else wasn't on vacation was the best! It was so much more relaxing. We have been to Disney twice with my daughter and once to SeaWorld, now on a Disney cruise. Never a problem with the school. Also you don't need to tell the school why you will be out of town, it isn't any of their business! Go relax and have a great time making memories with your family!
SnarkyHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #43
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer
 
violetmonarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 322

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Your worries are exactly why someone suggested that you talk to some of the parents of your daughter's classmates. Find those who have taken vacations (your daughter might be able to help you with this) to find out how nervous you should be.

Although we homeschool, I read threads like this often, and I have noticed that people say those "we'll serve you papers" notices are really meant for those people whose kids are out consistently, constantly. NOT for those who take ONE vacation in the whole school-life of their kids! It's out there as a possibility, but letting them know you're taking the kids out will let them know that they won't need to send the truancy officers out to find you guys.

My mom was always nervous doing anything out of the ordinary, but that's because she lived in fear that my dad would try to get custody of us (baseless fear, as we would have messed up his life too much...he couldn't even handle me being sick while at his place, and had my mom pick me up at 2am so he could still take my brother to a baseball game the next day). It doesn't sound like you have that fear, so first *find out* what the proper procedures are, and then do those. Don't just assume you have to sit down with everyone. I think you're making yourself more nervous than you need to be.
Thanks, yes I figured that it was meant for those that were repeatedly allowing absences to interrupt school...I suppose that since I have had a run in (or two) with attendance secretary, it made me more on edge. I tend to get over anxious about things, and so I am glad that I was able to receive such good information. Btw: I am going to homeschool my daughter starting next school year and my son will be starting kindergarten the following. Perfect time for traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
I'm sure policies vary WIDELY by area, school, etc. I even asked my daughter's teacher her thoughts on kids missing school and she said "I took my daughters out of school for trips. If they are good students and will catch up easily and what they'll learn on the trip is valuable, then do it."
My daughter has been feeling out her teachers more lately to see how they might react, and so far it looks okay, as long as she can maintain her grades before and after the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomy-san View Post
Every year since kindergarten we have taken our kids out for 1-2 weeks to go to DL or a cruise. We didn't ask permission, just wrote a note explaining the reason for absence, and stating that our child would be responsible for making up any missed assignments in a timely manner when we returned. This has been well relieved and teachers always wished us a wonderful trip and asked to see lots of pictures.
In and of itself, this would be no big deal. But these big absences are in addition to both of my girl missing 1-3 hours a week for music lessons. My oldest daughter (12) misses 2/3 of her Tuesday afternoon to travel into the city to study harp. As this is her 9th year, even her school teachers have remarked how important it is for her to continue, even if she misses class.

To the OP, I hope you and your daughter are able to go on this vacation and leave your stress behind. Regardless of how her school reacts There is no substitute for family memories, lots of laughter and beautiful sunshine!! Have FUN!!!
Thank you...I agree, we need to make some major happy memories! Btw: harp is so beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysmommy View Post
My son is only in Kindergarten but I just had his mid year parent teacher conference and she asked me if we were going to the Panama Canal....this is what happens when you talk vacation plans in front of children
I told her that we are, he will miss 3 weeks of school and that I would have him journal each day we were gone along with charting the position of boat for math.
She thought the trip sounded amazing and not to worry about what he will miss and suggested maybe only to journal every other day.
Guess the point of this is I would suggest letting the school know this week or next and get on to the ever important vacation planning phase
WOW! Hope you have a blast on the PC! So jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkyHouston View Post
We are going on a family cruise with my kids and parents in Feb. My parents are a retired teacher and principal. This will be the second year we have taken my daughter out of school for a vacation. When I first brought it up with my parents I was a little worried because they never took us on a trip during the school year. When I asked if they would like to go they said "Heck yeah!!" I told my mom my concerns and she said during the school year we couldn't go because they worked at the school. Let me tell you going when everyone else wasn't on vacation was the best! It was so much more relaxing. We have been to Disney twice with my daughter and once to SeaWorld, now on a Disney cruise. Never a problem with the school. Also you don't need to tell the school why you will be out of town, it isn't any of their business! Go relax and have a great time making memories with your family!
Well, we live next to SeaWorld so the travel is like a mile lol, no issue with attendance with that one thankfully Thanks, I look forward to a smaller crowd because of the school year. I was wondering whether or not they would probe me for information as to where we are going. My daughter is keeping it to herself for now (her choice) but my 4 y/o son is the one that has a big mouth and shouts it to strangers at the grocery store, lOl



You nice people have helped me feel more reassured. I cannot thank you all enough for your help and suggestions.
__________________
Momma DD DS =



Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #44
Kbrush
Mouseketeer
 
Kbrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch
As I read through some threads about taking school-aged children out of class for a family vacation, I am hesitating taking our trip as planned...not because I fear that my middle-school aged daughter will have a hard time catching up with assignments, but rather because I feel I dont have the confidence to approach the teachers/principal about the subject.
I am single with two kiddos (ten years apart) and we have NEVER taken a vacation ANYWHERE, EVER! That said, this year has been a long, extremely stressful and emotionally taxing series of very unfortunate events. My thinking was that a good family trip, while being as educational as I can make it, would also serve as a shot of confidence or perhaps even just a reset that our little family needs.
Am I wrong for thinking that missing 5 school days are worth getting our family going off to a better start? I suppose that I am just putting this thought of mine out here for some feedback or maybe support.
If you have advice, I am happy to listen. Thanks so much for posting this exchange of information here&it does help to see what others go thru and their ideas.
I am a single mom as well. I think sometimes family time just has to come first and that most teachers should understand that. You are clearly a very conscientious mother who takes education seriously. Since you don't make a habit of taking your children out of school, the staff may realize that this is an exceptional circumstance. The fact that you have chosen Disney rather than say a cultural trip to the museums of Paris, may make it seem more frivolous but the point here is to relax, have fun, and bond and so a Disney cruise does indeed make perfect sense. If you really think you and your family need this then go ahead and fight for it. It is absolutely a valid form of family therapy. Disney has a marvelous ability to appeal to all ages and both of your children will have a great time, as will you. And five days to try to reset your family dynamics is not an excessive request.
Kbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.