Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
kacaju
DIS Veteran

PA High schools?

DH is going on a job interview for a company in Reading PA.

We already have been warned not to look in Reading..but outside of Reading...within an hour drive..what towns have good High Schools? If he was to accept the job I am not looking into moving until summer of 2014 (we live in NJ) Because I would not want to move our dd16 her senior year. Our youngest would be entering HS fall of 2014 so my thinking is to move after the one graduates HS and before the last one goes into HS.

I know nothing about PA schools/towns. I would be looking into a house on a large piece of property and would rather move to stand alone type of a house..I have no interest in a developement/ neighborhood. We have dogs and would probably get a few more (we show dogs) so I want room without having a neighbor on top of me.

We have been to dog shows in
Oaks PA, Harrisburg, Bloomsburg, Ludwigs Corner, Allentown, Macungie, State College, York, Erwinna, Wrightstown. I know Bloomsburg and Harrisburg and probably the farthest away from Reading..I just want to give you an idea of where I have been in PA.
DH seems hopeful this would be a great move for him..I just want to start getting an idea of where to look..just in case.. Thanks in advance!!
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

We have a lot of good high schools in the Lehigh Valley area! But we also have some not so good ones! PM me if you want details. Is your child an athlete? Musician?
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
DH is going on a job interview for a company in Reading PA.

We already have been warned not to look in Reading..but outside of Reading...within an hour drive..what towns have good High Schools? If he was to accept the job I am not looking into moving until summer of 2014 (we live in NJ) Because I would not want to move our dd16 her senior year. Our youngest would be entering HS fall of 2014 so my thinking is to move after the one graduates HS and before the last one goes into HS.

I know nothing about PA schools/towns. I would be looking into a house on a large piece of property and would rather move to stand alone type of a house..I have no interest in a developement/ neighborhood. We have dogs and would probably get a few more (we show dogs) so I want room without having a neighbor on top of me.

We have been to dog shows in
Oaks PA, Harrisburg, Bloomsburg, Ludwigs Corner, Allentown, Macungie, State College, York, Erwinna, Wrightstown. I know Bloomsburg and Harrisburg and probably the farthest away from Reading..I just want to give you an idea of where I have been in PA.
DH seems hopeful this would be a great move for him..I just want to start getting an idea of where to look..just in case.. Thanks in advance!!
I don't have personal experience with the schools in the Reading area, but do know that you don't want to be in the city of Reading. Also, the Wilson School District (west of Reading) and Schuylkill Valley School District (north of Reading) have good reputations.

Of the towns you listed, Ludwig's Corner is the closest, about 50 minutes or so away. Allentown, Harrisburg, and York are over an hour. The others are much too far from Reading to even consider.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

Allentown is not an hour from Reading.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
marlynnp
No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuevers.

I'm outside Reading.
Exeter is a good district. So are Oley & Wilson.

pm me if you have any other questions about the area. (and I actually graduated from Reading many moons ago, lol)

'tis better to remain silent and appear a fool; than to speak and remove all doubt.
marlynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

I'm actually good friends with someone on Readings city council.. I will message him tonight and ask him what schools are good and what are bad down that way...

bloomsburg is a nice area but is about 1.5hrs from reading I see you also mentioned state college that's about a 4 hour drive.. lol http://www.schooldigger.com/go/PA/districtrank.aspx this site might also help you I'm about an hour away from reading and a semi decent school around me is blue mountain... its ranked 150 out of 553. My cousin teaches down there as well.

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
luv2sew
Mouseketeer

IN the Allentown area, which is about 1 hour ish away, you have the Parkland School District, Southern Lehigh School District, Emmaus School District. Which I think are all in the top or close to it of the list of PA districts.
luv2sew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Ugh, I wouldn't live in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown area) if I am working in Reading. Too long of a commute.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1700 View Post
Allentown is not an hour from Reading.
Oh it can be, trust me . But no, without traffic it's not. I live in the Reading area and work in Allentown. We thought life would be less expensive that way, but the commute...oh my. A real treasure. I take back roads because people routinely DIE out there on 222. So, OP, if you're entertaining the idea of living in the Lehigh Valley, which is nicer but more expensive, keep in mind that we have NO highway between that area and Reading. Just this infuriating 2 (occasionally 4) lane road with multiple, mile-long traffic light backups. Oh and NO plans for improvement in my lifetime.

There are many rural areas in Berks County to check out. Oley has nice homes with lots of land and I believe a pretty good school system. We're in Fleetwood and I have no complaints, but the kids complain constantly (I take it with a grain of salt). We have friends whose kids go to Twin Valley. That is a large district that also has a lot of rural areas. The kids we know from that high school love it.

Any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I've lived in this area my whole life. The best thing I always say about it is that it is easy to leave. haha. Within 3 hours of many major cities
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Donna PA
Mouseketeer

I live just outside of Reading and I highly recommend Wyomissing school district. I graduated there and all my kids did too, one is still in school. They have excellent teachers, the school is one of the top ten in PA. Sports teams are great too, the football team made it the states I think this year. I have nothing but praise for this school. They have done wonders with my son who has Aspergers. I also adopted two children who spoke no English, they were in 1t grade and Kindergarten and the teachers worked with them. Within two months they spoke all English. Very small school, usually 120 in each class. If you like larger school there is Wilson School district, also excellent. Both school districts have very nice neighborhoods. Really outside of the city there are lots of good schools.
Donna PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
FlightlessDuck

Reading is in Berks County.

These are the districts in Berks County that met AYP in 2012:

ANTIETAM SD
BOYERTOWN AREA SD
BRANDYWINE HEIGHTS AREA SD
DANIEL BOONE AREA SD
FLEETWOOD AREA SD
KUTZTOWN AREA SD
OLEY VALLEY SD
SCHUYLKILL VALLEY SD
TULPEHOCKEN AREA SD
TWIN VALLEY SD
WILSON SD
WYOMISSING AREA SD

You can see more specific data about PA school districts here:
http://www.education.state.pa.us/por...tatistics/7202

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Donna PA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Reading is in Berks County.

These are the districts in Berks County that met AYP in 2012:

ANTIETAM SD
BOYERTOWN AREA SD
BRANDYWINE HEIGHTS AREA SD
DANIEL BOONE AREA SD
FLEETWOOD AREA SD
KUTZTOWN AREA SD
OLEY VALLEY SD
SCHUYLKILL VALLEY SD
TULPEHOCKEN AREA SD
TWIN VALLEY SD
WILSON SD
WYOMISSING AREA SD

You can see more specific data about PA school districts here:
http://www.education.state.pa.us/por...tatistics/7202
Governor Mifflin is also in Berks, I think there are a few more.
Donna PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

The commute from the Lehigh Valley to Reading is HORRIBLE- especially during rush hour. I wouldn't do it.

The Reading school district is rough. One of my best friends teaches at the HS (well, at the Citadel, which is the 9/10 campus)- I have heard some horror stories. Plus, they have a hard time keeping administrators, which is not a good thing.

There are many surrounding districts (suburban) with good reputations. My friend's kids are in Hamburg, and they are doing well there.

Good luck to your husband!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
Oh it can be, trust me . But no, without traffic it's not. I live in the Reading area and work in Allentown. We thought life would be less expensive that way, but the commute...oh my. A real treasure. I take back roads because people routinely DIE out there on 222. So, OP, if you're entertaining the idea of living in the Lehigh Valley, which is nicer but more expensive, keep in mind that we have NO highway between that area and Reading. Just this infuriating 2 (occasionally 4) lane road with multiple, mile-long traffic light backups. Oh and NO plans for improvement in my lifetime.

There are many rural areas in Berks County to check out. Oley has nice homes with lots of land and I believe a pretty good school system. We're in Fleetwood and I have no complaints, but the kids complain constantly (I take it with a grain of salt). We have friends whose kids go to Twin Valley. That is a large district that also has a lot of rural areas. The kids we know from that high school love it.

Any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I've lived in this area my whole life. The best thing I always say about it is that it is easy to leave. haha. Within 3 hours of many major cities
When my DH got a job with Lucent in Breinigsville many moons ago, we looked for houses in Fleetwood. Nice, rural area! But, being from Bethlehem my entire life, I just could not do rural!! So, we stayed in B'hem and he commuted. Of course, Lucent closed, so it was a smart decision to stay here- he now works in Allentown.

(DS17 just got accepted to Kutztown- it's his second choice, but the cheaper of his two top choices. Loved the campus though!)
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
FlightlessDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna PA View Post
Governor Mifflin is also in Berks, I think there are a few more.
Yes, but I only listed the districts that made AYP according to this website:
http://paayp.emetric.net/County/DistrictList/c6

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: