Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #106
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel659 View Post
Thats what I thought. I thought it would probably come with the job. My dh wasnt sure. The reason I thought we would be non insurable is because both dh and I have asthma and so does my dd. I am also an ex smoker although I never smoked in front of my children.

I really want to move to the USA to nurse. Originally we were going to use dh job as entrance he is an Accountant well almost once he has finished his studies and I would train in the USA.
Both of these type of careers lend themselves well getting in with good companies and getting decent insurance.

As far as group insurance goes, most of them allow pre-existing illnesses. One of the employees on my insurance plan has so many conditions, you would not believe: high blood pressure, emphysema, liver issues, he's a heavy smoker, etc., and they insured him with no exceptions to the pre-existing conditions.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #107
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Sorry to be thick, but I still dont get it.

How can you or any middle class family afford $800 a month on insurance. We pay or my husband could pay something like £100 a month which is roughly $200. We would not need to worry if we were covered or not. NHS treats any illness. Also what if you find out your not insured how on earth can you afford $23k without being made bankrupt or being able to have a normal life.

I really dont understand sorry. I know our NHS policy is rubbish at times, but the security of the NHS makes me feel safe.

The main reason I am asking so many questions and I am really anxious is because when I become a qualified nurse I really wanted to live in either LA or FL. I love the sun, love America in general and the people are so friendly. With these costs I really cant see how we could afford to live or at least get to WDW It really worries me that I would be uninsurable or my family cant be insured under my company. Or if an illness came up then they would not pay.

Someone said they would not cover any gastro problems like IBS, but what Chrones Disease this has been misdiagnosed for years due to this new trend illness called IBS. I have had patients who have been diagnosed as IBS, but actually had Chrones. They wouldnt pay for that?
Please keep in mind that I am retired, so I am paying for private insurance. Right now, I have a $1000 deductible for both DD and I. I am considering raising it to $5000 for each of us. That will drop the amount of the payments considerably. It will mean that I won't get a lot out of it unless we have something catestrophic happen, but that is okay. Either way, I will be paying a lot.

If you are working, most employers offer health insurance plans that are much more reasonable. Before I retired, my employer covered my health insurance completely and I only paid $25 a month for DD. It was wonderful. So, if you move here and you will be working, it won't be that big a problem.

I do wish there was some type of national health insurance plans for retired people where we could buy insurance at a more reasonable rate because it was a group policy. Many companies just don't want to bother with setting up group policies for their retired employees. I'd be happy to pay into a retirement policy, it would have to be better than individual insurance. I am not old enough for medicare, but it was my choice to retire at age 52.
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #108
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I do wish there was some type of national health insurance plans for retired people where we could buy insurance at a more reasonable rate because it was a group policy. Many companies just don't want to bother with setting up group policies for their retired employees. I'd be happy to pay into a retirement policy, it would have to be better than individual insurance. I am not old enough for medicare, but it was my choice to retire at age 52.

There has been discussion on this before on other threads. I think I can credit BuckNaked for suggesting that everyone should be allowed to "buy" into the Federal Governments insurance plan that they offer for their current employees and retirees. Even if you had to pay the full premium (because you didn't retire from Federal Service) it would be a lot more affordable than going out on your own.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #109
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan2 View Post

IMO ours work better than theirs. I am not going to throw the baby out with the bath water. We can improve our system, but just eliminating it is not the answer. My Canadian and UK friends all state how they wish they did not have it and would prefer a system like we have.

I am british, lived in the UK all my life, do I wish our system didn't exist

NO

It may not be perfect but it mostly works
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #110
mickeyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thats what I thought. I thought it would probably come with the job. My dh wasnt sure. The reason I thought we would be non insurable is because both dh and I have asthma and so does my dd. I am also an ex smoker although I never smoked in front of my children.

I really want to move to the USA to nurse. Originally we were going to use dh job as entrance he is an Accountant well almost once he has finished his studies and I would train in the USA.
I have asthma and it has not been a problem. Both DH and I work so we can have a nice life with health insurance. I can see my Dr. within hours, no referals needed and I can even have surgery without getting permission. They still would pay.

My surgery for everything - OR, 2 nights in a private room, Drs, pre-op testing and post-op testing was $25K. My deductible is $500 and I pay 80/20 for the first $10K and then they pay 100% after. My out of pocket was $2500. That is exactly what I knew it would be.
The insurance company paid all bills with in a month of the surgery. They showed me what the totals were with their discount. So I know that a $10K bill does not get reduced to $4K as claimed earlier. My $25K bill was reduced to $20K. I get a 25% discount from the same hospital if it is not billed to an insurance.
mickeyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #111
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
There has been discussion on this before on other threads. I think I can credit BuckNaked for suggesting that everyone should be allowed to "buy" into the Federal Governments insurance plan that they offer for their current employees and retirees. Even if you had to pay the full premium (because you didn't retire from Federal Service) it would be a lot more affordable than going out on your own.
That, I would not have a problem with at all ..."buy" and have the choice(if it would work...who knows)...I do not want to be told I have no other option...in other words, I must cancel my current plan and take what I am given or else nothing...no way!

Sadly, no ticker for now
mkycrzy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #112
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkycrzy1971 View Post
That, I would not have a problem with at all ..."buy" and have the choice(if it would work...who knows)...I do not want to be told I have no other option...in other words, I must cancel my current plan and take what I am given or else nothing...no way!

Yes, I think it would work! The Federal Government offers its employees around 30+ different health care plans (forgive me if I'm off on this number--it's been a long time since I last looked at it). The plans range from very affordable and bare bones to "luxury" type policies. Even if the government wasn't paying part of your premium, if they just let you "in" to pay the full premium it would be a relief for so many people.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 06-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #113
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

Quote:

American employers buy an insurance policy for their employees. Employees are covered according to the terms of that policy. The policies do not single out people who drink, smoke, etc. If those people being on the policy results in higher costs for the insurance company, then the company will increase the monthly premiums for everyone and it will be up to the employer to decide how to pay that increase.

Some policies do exclude coverage for pre-existing conditions, often for a specified period of time, such as 90 days from date of hire. Other policies have no exclusions on pre-existing conditions. As you can see there is a lot of variation in medical insurance coverage.

Nurses tend to have excellent health insurance either through the employer or their labor union.
September 2007 WDW Poly/UO Portofino Bay
September 2008 WDW Poly/UO Hard Rock
December 2008 WDW Coronado Springs
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2009 Yacht Club
September 2010 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
LukenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #114
mkycrzy1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Yes, I think it would work! The Federal Government offers its employees around 30+ different health care plans (forgive me if I'm off on this number--it's been a long time since I last looked at it). The plans range from very affordable and bare bones to "luxury" type policies. Even if the government wasn't paying part of your premium, if they just let you "in" to pay the full premium it would be a relief for so many people.
I am agreeing with you...a great idea that offers some solutions to those without coverage. when I say..."if it works", I am just not sure that some people (I do not mean all..just those that think they have a right to healthcare) would not want to actually pay for it. However, I do know that there would be a lot of very willing people that it would greatly benefit...Thank you for bringing up a great point...it something for all of us to think about...even the govt....just, please do not make me take this or nothing....that is my "beef".

Sadly, no ticker for now
mkycrzy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #115
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojarjackson View Post
In USA we provides better health solution at our center. All types of health care are available at our center. If you visit it once you find better solution at there.
Reported.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #116
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Reported.
I'm sorry, reported for what? Since when do we report zombie threads?

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #117
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Why dig up a 5 year old thread? Also, the post doesn't make much sense - "our center".
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #118
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I'm sorry, reported for what? Since when do we report zombie threads?
I reported because I feel the poster is trying to up their post count for some bizarre reason. If the mods don't feel it violates board guidelines, that's fine. But the poster has (at this point) 4 posts, all regarding health care, at least the two I read are zombie threads and don't make much sense.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #119
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

The scariest sentence in the English language:

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

As for making a life-altering decision such as moving to a different country based on anything MIchael Moore says...well let's just say I wouldn't hold him up as the be all and end all of knowledge about anything.

Health care has its issues, but we already have too much govenrment involvement in our lives...I don't want anymore.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #120
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Also, same vein of threads are being "revived" on the budget board.

Personally I think it was dug up simply to cause trouble. there is no way to discuss this topic without venturing into politics, as Disney doll so aptly proven, which is a banned topic.

To quote a bit of Shakespeare.....

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: