DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #241
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
I would expect that the point cost per room would be much higher for GF. I don't know about the cost per point, although I can't imagine why it wouldn't be higher than the current offerings.
I'll bet the points are the same for a comparable unit and view. Disney does not have a history of using new resorts simply to points creep.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #242
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I'll bet the points are the same for a comparable unit and view. Disney does not have a history of using new resorts simply to points creep.
I would not bet against your experience, that's for sure... And your position makes sense because since total points are locked in per resort, they should be careful not to mistake early enthusiasm over the novelty for long-term demand. Even lowly SSR (my home resort) was the premium priced resort when it was new.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #243
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
I would not bet against your experience, that's for sure... And your position makes sense because since total points are locked in per resort, they should be careful not to mistake early enthusiasm over the novelty for long-term demand. Even lowly SSR (my home resort) was the premium priced resort when it was new.
Other companies have certainly taken the opportunity to raise prices simply by creeping the points for new resorts. DVC has never taken that approach. That's not to say there haven't been changes but not in this way. From OKW to BWV there was a change, they simply miscalculated the demand and what the market would bear and changed the points structure significantly. Since, they really haven't increased the points in this way unless you want to argue they did so for BLT or VWL/BCV. I'd argue they didn't for BLT, that they simply charged more for something worth more but I could see both positions. From BWV to VWL & BCV, they did away with the standard view effectively giving an increase. They also made SSR more than OKW. Personally I see individual reasons for each of these issues that do not support points creep but YMMV.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #244
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Other companies have certainly taken the opportunity to raise prices simply by creeping the points for new resorts. DVC has never taken that approach. That's not to say there haven't been changes but not in this way. From OKW to BWV there was a change, they simply miscalculated the demand and what the market would bear and changed the points structure significantly. Since, they really haven't increased the points in this way unless you want to argue they did so for BLT or VWL/BCV. I'd argue they didn't for BLT, that they simply charged more for something worth more but I could see both positions. From BWV to VWL & BCV, they did away with the standard view effectively giving an increase. They also made SSR more than OKW. Personally I see individual reasons for each of these issues that do not support points creep but YMMV.
What surprises me is that a BWV standard room is cheaper points than a SSR room. Now I'm happy to take advantage of those cheap BWV rooms, so I hope they never readjust them.

I have stayed at SSR and liked it, just wished the rooms were less points.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #245
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

BLT was a big jump in points, the reason most comonly give was it was a monorail resort. VGF is also in that group but also has been touted as the "flagship" top place to stay, so I am guessing we are goint to see 10% higher per room point requirements, to match the CRO price differences.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #246
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormde View Post
BLT was a big jump in points, the reason most comonly give was it was a monorail resort. VGF is also in that group but also has been touted as the "flagship" top place to stay, so I am guessing we are goint to see 10% higher per room point requirements, to match the CRO price differences.
Which is kinda funny considering we didn't get to use the monorail for 75% of the time we were there this past week. The monorail kept breaking and they sent us to fetch a non existent bus at the stop. I feel gypped...
Paying all that fees and not being able to use the amenity.
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #247
midwife
Earning My Ears

So I have been combing through all the replies and may have missed this information but when is the meeting where this change may be announced? Or did the meeting take place already? Was it announced or were different issues discussed and resale restrictions ignored for now?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #248
CRobin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife
So I have been combing through all the replies and may have missed this information but when is the meeting where this change may be announced? Or did the meeting take place already? Was it announced or were different issues discussed and resale restrictions ignored for now?
Everything you have read regarding the future use of points on resale contracts is speculation based upon a comment made by a guide that resales were going to have more restrictive value in the future.

There has been no official announcement from DVC on any changes to future or current resale contracts.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
CRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #249
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRobin View Post
Everything you have read regarding the future use of points on resale contracts is speculation based upon a comment made by a guide that resales were going to have more restrictive value in the future.

There has been no official announcement from DVC on any changes to future or current resale contracts.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
The info was passed on by several Guides and according to one member, their Guide told them that if they were going to buy resale, they should do it now to be grandfathered.

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #250
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
The annual meeting was held last week and nothing regarding resales was announced. They typically do not announce anything controversial at the annual meeting, the last resale change was announced about a month after the annual meeting.

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc...eeting-summary
Old 12-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #251
OneMoreTry

DIS Veteran

Restricting benefits of resale could conceivably backfire -- that is if buyers actually consider the true value of the points they are buying (equity). So far, DVC points have retained, relative to other timeshares, a lot of their value.

Restricting resales and the resulting drop in resale value, reduces the equity of points bought from DVC itself. They will become more like regular timeshare purchases that owners can't sell if they need to.

Lower resale value may cause purchasers to consider buying where they want to stay at resale and saving a lot of money. -- And not losing as much money if they decided to sell their points.

Can you imagine buying BLT for less than half of the original cost? I'd certainly consider it.

Last edited by OneMoreTry; 12-22-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: thought of something else
OneMoreTry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #252
tpclady
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

bigger booking window for GFV

I would think that giving new DIRECT buyers at GFV a larger booking window, say 13 months, would help guarantee they get in where they buy. And RESALE buyers would be held to the traditional 11/7 month booking windows presently in place. That would help keep the 'riff raff' out as someone mentioned in and earlier post. Though the fact that I've been called riff raff when I paid over $45,000 in cash for 200 Wilderness & 300 Saratoga as resales boggles my mind! I didn't realize that riff raff normally have $45k lying around in cash.
tpclady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #253
tpclady
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

riff raff reference

bighoo93-
It doesn't take long reading these boards to realize that a fair number of people who have purchased direct or purchased more expensive home resort points deeply resent what they view as lesser folk and assorted riff raff who bought resale points at less expensive resorts can stay at their resort despite paying less.
tpclady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #254
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTry View Post
Restricting benefits of resale could conceivably backfire -- that is if buyers actually consider the true value of the points they are buying (equity). So far, DVC points have retained, relative to other timeshares, a lot of their value.

Restricting resales and the resulting drop in resale value, reduces the equity of points bought from DVC itself. They will become more like regular timeshare purchases that owners can't sell if they need to.

Lower resale value may cause purchasers to consider buying where they want to stay at resale and saving a lot of money. -- And not losing as much money if they decided to sell their points.

Can you imagine buying BLT for less than half of the original cost? I'd certainly consider it.
That assumes that retail buyers consider the later resale value, most don't so at best this issue would have an affect on a relatively small subset of owners. Whether it's enough to affect the bottom line remains to be seen, it hasn't been for other companies where the spread is far greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpclady View Post
I would think that giving new DIRECT buyers at GFV a larger booking window, say 13 months, would help guarantee they get in where they buy. And RESALE buyers would be held to the traditional 11/7 month booking windows presently in place. That would help keep the 'riff raff' out as someone mentioned in and earlier post. Though the fact that I've been called riff raff when I paid over $45,000 in cash for 200 Wilderness & 300 Saratoga as resales boggles my mind! I didn't realize that riff raff normally have $45k lying around in cash.
And more so for renters and exchangers it would seem. It's not legally possible (legal and POS) to give anyone a larger window at existing resorts. The only way they could do that would be to create a legally separate (possibly linked) system and the most they could give that extra time to would be for any new resorts and IF (unlikely they would) they converted points (what they owned and allowed existing owners) to any new system. Even then for existing owners it would be limited to the % of converted points, not the entire resort. The other way they could change things up would be a priority waitlist for a VIP type system.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #255
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpclady View Post
bighoo93-
It doesn't take long reading these boards to realize that a fair number of people who have purchased direct or purchased more expensive home resort points deeply resent what they view as lesser folk and assorted riff raff who bought resale points at less expensive resorts can stay at their resort despite paying less.
could you throw me a couple of links for reference?

i've been on the boards over 5 years. i've seen issues with renters and with those upgraded from value stays to SSR/OKW by CRO...i swear i can't remember a single complaint about resale purchasers...

that was disney's excuse when they made the resale changes but i've never seen the slightest basis in fact to that justification. (it is possible i missed it...but i've read a lot of threads over the years.)

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: