Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
mamacass
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 72

Last minute discounts

Does disney ever offer last minute discounts on unused rooms?
mamacass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 1,209 miles from CBR.
Posts: 6,115

Not that I know of.
__________________
ME DW DS12
dansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacass View Post
Does disney ever offer last minute discounts on unused rooms?
If you show up without a reservation, you will pay rack rate.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
mamacass
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 72

We have reservations at AoA but wanted to upgrade. Didn't know if there were rooms sitting empty (which there are as of today) if they would offer a discount similar to a pin code (which I didn't get this year). Thanks!
mamacass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacass View Post
Does disney ever offer last minute discounts on unused rooms?
Nope
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Lynne M
 
Lynne M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 8,984
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacass
We have reservations at AoA but wanted to upgrade. Didn't know if there were rooms sitting empty (which there are as of today) if they would offer a discount similar to a pin code (which I didn't get this year). Thanks!
No, they don't do that. Sorry.

Generally, Disney offers their discounts some time in advance, not last minute. It never hurts to call, though, and see if there are any active discount codes.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
fla4fun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: near Orlando
Posts: 8,576

I watched an interesting program about the hotel business (not Disney) and they were specifically asked if a guest walked in, and the room was $300 and the guest offered $200 cash, would they take it? They said no, even if it meant the room went empty. They specifically said they did not want to train their guests to think that by waiting until the last minute they could get a deal. They wanted them to book as early as possible. It was an interesting program, especially the parts about room rates (and how they fluctuate) and how hotels monitor their competitors occupancy hoping they will be the LAST hotel with availability on any given day.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
OnTheMoon
Earning My Ears
 
OnTheMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9

Cheap Rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla4fun View Post
I watched an interesting program about the hotel business (not Disney) and they were specifically asked if a guest walked in, and the room was $300 and the guest offered $200 cash, would they take it? They said no, even if it meant the room went empty. They specifically said they did not want to train their guests to think that by waiting until the last minute they could get a deal. They wanted them to book as early as possible. It was an interesting program, especially the parts about room rates (and how they fluctuate) and how hotels monitor their competitors occupancy hoping they will be the LAST hotel with availability on any given day.
That is interesting, I thought thats how cheaprooms.com worked, selling unused inventory at the last minute. That being said, there is a difference between online booking - dayof, vs walking in and asking.
OnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #9
fla4fun
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: near Orlando
Posts: 8,576

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMoon View Post
That is interesting, I thought thats how cheaprooms.com worked, selling unused inventory at the last minute. That being said, there is a difference between online booking - dayof, vs walking in and asking.
They really didn't get into the opaque websites on the program at all - but I think the hotels don't really view the opaque websites the same way as they would a guest walking in at the last minute. With the opaque sites you don't know for sure what hotel you have until after you book it. So you might get the hotel chain they were talking to, and you might get the not so nice hotel in the middle of the industrial district. There is a certain amount of risk involved, and I think the hotels are counting on that risk to prevent their regular guests from booking via that route on a regular basis. But it does bring into play that the common advice given to "book with the hotel direct" may not be the best advice if you are doing a last minute booking and want the best price.

Of course, a lot depends on your definition of "last minute". When it comes to WDW, a discount released six months before check in is considered by many on this board to be "last minute", lol!
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
JustBusiness
Earning My Ears
 
JustBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 72

Last minute on site deals can be had when renting from a DVC member. If another renter has to cancel, or the lessor forgot to rent points expiring soon, you can get a good discount, usually $8-10/pt for expiring points.

You might have to stay at SSR, OKW, Or AKL though.

We just stayed at SSR for 8.50/pt booking 3 weeks in advance, here on the rent/trade dvc board.
__________________

JustBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.