Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 AM   #1081
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47

Yes, I am pretty excited about this. I would still prefer doing the outbound flight via Atlanta as immigration is so much easier in Atlanta than in Orlando, but if we go to Orlando, I would not mind at all being put on the direct Orlando Manchester flight on the way back.

Officially the Top of the World Lounge perk will end some time at the end of December, but the cast member that we spoke to at the lounge was optimistic that this would be re-introduced early next year.

Corinna
Yes we went to Atlanta once and were very impressed with it. We were doing a self driving tour of the deep south long before I became too ill and disabled to do this kind of holiday so glad we did it. We loved the places we visited like New Orleans, Nashville etc. But we so love Disney and its great for me and my health issues and lack of mobility plus even if I was 100 % healthy never been anywhere we enjoy as much if I am honest. Next year we got two trips cant wait!

I hope they do extend top of the world perk! Did you buy your dvc direct? We did and havent regretted it for a second.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #1082
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Yes, we bought from DVC direct and bought in at the perfect time. At the time they had just extended the membership on OKW and were aggressively making use of their right of first refusal. They then extended those contracts before selling them on. We snagged one of those contracts.

Corinna
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #1083
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Yes, we bought from DVC direct and bought in at the perfect time. At the time they had just extended the membership on OKW and were aggressively making use of their right of first refusal. They then extended those contracts before selling them on. We snagged one of those contracts.

Corinna
Oh good buy well done! Same as us we got SSR right at the end and an exchange rate at the time of 1.99 nearly half dollars to pounds! Doesn't happen now! Its paid for itself now so just the dues pays our accommodation every year. Sorted! Is OKW nice?
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #1084
dolphingirl47

When we bought in in November 2007, there was $2.2 to the Pound. So we broke even relatively quickly. For what I pay in dues now, I could not even get a 3 star hotel on International Drive and the perks are definitely nice. We calculated this the other day and the savings we have made on things like tickets, purchases, dining plan, etc this year were actually more than our annual dues.

Old Key West is a gorgeous resort. It is really laid back, the rooms are huge and the cast members are amazing.

Corinna
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #1085
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
When we bought in in November 2007, there was $2.2 to the Pound. So we broke even relatively quickly. For what I pay in dues now, I could not even get a 3 star hotel on International Drive and the perks are definitely nice. We calculated this the other day and the savings we have made on things like tickets, purchases, dining plan, etc this year were actually more than our annual dues.

Old Key West is a gorgeous resort. It is really laid back, the rooms are huge and the cast members are amazing.

Corinna
I know! We came to Florida and stayed at the Fairfield Inn with my sister, bil and their kids. Not a nice experience! It was more expensive than dues! Thank goodness the next year we bought dvc! That time it was 80 dollars a point with discounts plus we got 160 points banked and that glorious exchange rate. I got the discounted Premium pass this year did you? 399 dollars! Couldn't believe our luck! Each to his own but I am not tempted by resale dvc. With all this talk of changes to terms such as resales not being able to resort hop when we do add on we will buy AKL direct even though people think we are mad to pay disney prices. I got a right 'talking to' on the disboards actually for wanting to buy direct. Its just my personal choice. Having health issues makes you want to take less risks in life. If I want to pay more for that added security why not. I think resale makes alot of sense of some people. Just not us.

Love to try OKW! But being disabled I was disappointed it did not have lifts. I cannot climb stairs.

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #1086
dolphingirl47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
I know! We came to Florida and stayed at the Fairfield Inn with my sister, bil and their kids. Not a nice experience! It was more expensive than dues! Thank goodness the next year we bought dvc! That time it was 80 dollars a point with discounts plus we got 160 points banked and that glorious exchange rate. I got the discounted Premium pass this year did you? 399 dollars! Couldn't believe our luck! Each to his own but I am not tempted by resale dvc. With all this talk of changes to terms such as resales not being able to resort hop when we do add on we will buy AKL direct even though people think we are mad to pay disney prices. I got a right 'talking to' on the disboards actually for wanting to buy direct. Its just my personal choice. Having health issues makes you want to take less risks in life. If I want to pay more for that added security why not. I think resale makes alot of sense of some people. Just not us.

Love to try OKW! But being disabled I was disappointed it did not have lifts. I cannot climb stairs.
Yes, I got the Premium Annual Pass, too. Even when I though I was just going to get one trip out of it, it was a good deal, but now DH has agreed to another trip in October so this was a real bargain.

OKW does have three buildings with lifts: buildings 62, 63 and 64. They are the top end of Miller's Road pretty much across the road from Hospitality House. They also have a number of accessible ground floor units.

Corinna
Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #1087
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:

Yes, I got the Premium Annual Pass, too. Even when I though I was just going to get one trip out of it, it was a good deal, but now DH has agreed to another trip in October so this was a real bargain.

OKW does have three buildings with lifts: buildings 62, 63 and 64. They are the top end of Miller's Road pretty much across the road from Hospitality House. They also have a number of accessible ground floor units.

Corinna
That is great re getting two trips! We always buy the annual pass and get two trips out of it if poss. One year we go in say nov then the following year we go earlier before it runs out :-) this time we are getting 3 trips out of it! Greedy...

Great re lifts! Thanks for that :-) we went to see OKW and really liked it. Its like SSR imo great location and that nice laid back ambience. You sound like you have such a nice family trip planned in Dec. we aren't blessed with children sadly being two women but DW ( well civil partner maybe dw in 2014 re the announcements recently ) and I adore them. We have nieces and nephews though that bring us joy :-)

You sound like a lovely family I really hope you have a fab trip but we want photos! We have never seen the parks at christmas but would love too!

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #1088
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

.....all this talk about DVC....
you. guys. are. KILLING. me.
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #1089
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
only 43 days for you!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #1090
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post

So just when I thought I was finished working for the year and could be in full vacation mode, I got a call this afternoon -- I'll be flying to a Base Saturday -- scheduled to fly home Wednesday morning (the day before we fly to WDW!!!!). I may be able to fly home Tuesday evening -- that would sure be nice!

Friday I will have to pack a work suitcase and a play suitcase!!
Oh no, I'm sorry.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #1091
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
.....all this talk about DVC....
you. guys. are. KILLING. me.
Come on Kim, all the cool kids are doing it

Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #1092
Pinkocto

Quote:

I got a talking to when I used my points to cruise. I don't go over there anymore. Some people are so bizarre.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #1093
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Sorry Kim, more DVC talk....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
Yes, I am pretty excited about this. I would still prefer doing the outbound flight via Atlanta as immigration is so much easier in Atlanta than in Orlando, but if we go to Orlando, I would not mind at all being put on the direct Orlando Manchester flight on the way back.

Officially the Top of the World Lounge perk will end some time at the end of December, but the cast member that we spoke to at the lounge was optimistic that this would be re-introduced early next year.

Corinna
I hope that they do continue this perk, cause we're going in January/February. Oh yeah, we're staying at BLT for the second half, so I guess we could go regardless. Doh!

Quote:

I know what you mean about lifts. My partner is disabled (severe RA) and can't do steps. It was laughable when we pulled up to the check in desk (both in scooters) and they assigned us a second floor room. I had requested a Handicapped Accessible room as well, so not sure how that whole things happened. They were able to find us a ground floor room, but it was a hassle.

One of the reasons we love to go to Disney is that they accomodate disabilities so well. We know that there will be restroom facilities, easy curbs, and not a lot of unmanageable hills and stuff!
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #1094
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Wow - I had no idea until just now that this thread even existed...I see it was created during my marathon trip, and I've been so crazed getting the house lit since then, I think I will just blame that LOL!

Quote:
Keep 'em ready for me!!! Right now I'd say I'll need some for the first week of November. I'll have to start working on our schedule!
I may need some too!!!

Quote:
I'm sorry we won't get to see you, but Elin & Bob aren't joining us either. They will be having a wonderful, relaxing Christmas holiday in the outer banks.

Have a wonderful Christmas in AL!
I hope all have safe travels and a great Christmas.
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #1095
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Come on Kim, all the cool kids are doing it
..... ..........
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: