Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
ThisIsJason
DIS Veteran

Being a bald guy these kiosks do not effect me.

In the local mall here, the kiosks have it written in the contract, that they will not approach anyone. They need to come to you. If someone complains to management, they review security tapes. If they see it on the tape you are fined X amount, happens again within the month, you are kicked out. The only reason I know this is because our Sunglass Hut is a kiosk here and my sister works for them.

Works wonders. Even greater so at this time of year, with all the temp ones. You can walk right on by and they say/do nothing.
AKV DVC Owner
ThisIsJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Complain to the mall office. Seriously. Every time it happens. The hair people, and especially the lotion people, were super aggressive at my mall when they first arrived. They'd follow you down the mall and grab you. I almost smacked one of them who was especially bad.

Now, they're not allowed to do that. They'll try to get your attention, but they don't yell, they don't touch you, and they stay next to the kiosk.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

One time I had someone actually walk up to me and try to put some type of neck warmer thingy on my shoulders - that just skeeved me out and I snarled at them to back off.

The rest of the kiosk people, I just say no thank you and keep walking, then I ignore them. The line found here is "excuse me miss, can I ask/show you something...?
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Out here, most of them seemed to be annoyed they're even working. Only a handful of times has some one thrown out a "here try this" spiel at me.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I thought it was against most state laws to touch a person's hair or face unless you were licensed by the state?

Not sure how cosmetic counters get away with up but there was some rule...I just can't remember. Years ago when I sold Mary Kay for a short time, we were told that was why you demonstrate makeup application but you could not apply the makeup yourself for the person. I could, because I was licensed to do that type of thing but as a general rule, it was a no-no.

Hmm...

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
Coonhound
DIS Veteran

We have one for iPod/iPhone cases...all kind, bejeweled to death. They are pretty aggressive. I find them annoying but I've never been personally bothered. I just cannot believe how MANY cases they sell. Feathers on them, rhinestones, etc.

We also have the child modeling agency kiosk from time to time, which makes me sad. They are ALL scams (legitimate agencies do not operate that way), and so many parents waste thousands on them because they start believing the rep's ego-boosting lies, telling them their child is so special, and then they don't want to miss out on an "amazing opportunity" for their child. And since most people don't know how the entertainment industry works, they don't know enough to know that they are being scammed until it is too late.
I think those kiosks are the worst because what they are doing, plain and simple, is preying on a parent's love for their child.
Coonhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #22
Disfan1
See, I'm already getting ahead of myself!
I'm a Splenda smuggler ;-)
Loves living in onederland!

Deep down, I do feel bad for the prople working at those kiosks. DH & I were walking through the mall last week when I heard a Christmas carol I had been dying to hear (It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas). I stopped and said, "Oh! There it is!" when I heard it over the PA and a girl at a nearby kiosk lit up and said, "Really? Were you looking for these?" holding up whatever the kiosk was selling. I said "Um, no, not quite" and scampered away, meaning I missed hearing the rest of the song. My DH was the rest of the way through the mall, though.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #23
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

My DD abandoned me one day just to go the long way around these people . It is pretty awful.

On a side note, I'm a sales rep in pet stores, but this is not how we're supposed to operate. Unfortunately, people sometimes hate me just because I'm a sales rep (even when I can genuinely help them). Usually I have great customers, but once in a while, I get some of the fall out from the mall type salespeople.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
si-am
DIS Veteran

In the malls around here, they are usually on the bottom level of the mall, so I avoid them by always walking in the 2nd level.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
GraceMonica
DIS Veteran

I can't avoid these kiosks. The one in the mall I go to is literally in front of the disney store.

I have noticed that they do not approach me when my hair is up in a messy bun. So every time I go shopping at the Disney store, I make sure my hair is up!

Also, I don't make eye contact. At all. I wont look at them. I show no emotion when I walk by them. Nothing.

Oh and the most annoying kiosk to me is the ones who sell the remote controlled flying devices. When they do their demonstrations, im always scared that its going to malfunction and hit me. So I avoid those at all cost.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #26
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran

I literally hate walking by those kiosks. The worst place on earth is the Mall of America. I live close enough that I shop there every month or two and those people are vultures.

A few years ago I was out there for a quick trip. I knew what I wanted and just had enough time to pick it up and get home to meet the bus. A guy from one of those lotion places tried to engage me. I was polite and said no thank you. He tried again and I again said no thank you. He pushed a third time and I got a bit testy and told him I was not interested. He starts in on me about being rude. I am literally walking away and he's shouting after me about how rude I was. I stopped, turned around and explained to him that he was the rude one and that when I say no, I mean no. I also told him that if I wasn't in such a hurry, I would have found some kind of mall security and reported him. I left him standing there with his mouth hanging open. I doubt it even registered with the guy.

I would think the MOA would be more on top of the vultures. Let's face it MOA is a giant tourist attraction and no one really wants to be harrassed while they are there. I wonder if people just don't complain about it.

My kids are funny because they hate them too so if we are all out there the kids are the first to say, don't make eye contact, do not resond, just keep walking quickly!

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #27
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo9607
When will those things go away?? Ugh. There is one at the local mall that has been there for years. Every time I pass by, they do all but drag me over by the arm to go sit in their chairs. I have tried the old being on the phone trick, texting, bringing a friend with me, ignoring...nothing!

I am so tired of it. I usually just tell them "No thank you" in a polite but firm voice but sometimes they practially jump out in front of you to get your attention. Of course, they're flanked on all sides by salespeople so walking on the opposite side does no good!

It baffles me that with how annoyed everyone else looks when they try to dart by that it's still around. I still see people in their chairs getting their hair done though...I have a hard time believing their products are A) really all that great and B) sold at a fair price. I saw one lady buy their speil hook, line, and sinker one day. Oh well. At least those darn Seacret Spa kiosks are gone!!!
So that's where the Seacret Spa things came from!!!! They're like a plague in the shopping centres in Australia I guess we will have to watch out for some hair kiosks sneaking in and up on us in time to come Thanks for the warning In all seriousness, the ones we have nearby are pretty good so far at taking no for an answer and don't seem to bother people Too much. I understand they have a job to do and are probably working on commission, so I think many of them try and make things easy for everyone by being nice.

Last edited by Marlea98; 12-13-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Marlea98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
~Brandy~
Now closer to the mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemountainmom View Post
I literally hate walking by those kiosks. The worst place on earth is the Mall of America. I live close enough that I shop there every month or two and those people are vultures.

A few years ago I was out there for a quick trip. I knew what I wanted and just had enough time to pick it up and get home to meet the bus. A guy from one of those lotion places tried to engage me. I was polite and said no thank you. He tried again and I again said no thank you. He pushed a third time and I got a bit testy and told him I was not interested. He starts in on me about being rude. I am literally walking away and he's shouting after me about how rude I was. I stopped, turned around and explained to him that he was the rude one and that when I say no, I mean no. I also told him that if I wasn't in such a hurry, I would have found some kind of mall security and reported him. I left him standing there with his mouth hanging open. I doubt it even registered with the guy.

I would think the MOA would be more on top of the vultures. Let's face it MOA is a giant tourist attraction and no one really wants to be harrassed while they are there. I wonder if people just don't complain about it.

My kids are funny because they hate them too so if we are all out there the kids are the first to say, don't make eye contact, do not resond, just keep walking quickly!
I also live by the Mall of America and it's getting out of control... there is an area on the first floor that's jam packed with them and I dread even walking through it. How can that be good for business? I go to the mall to walk around, buy a snack, take my kids on some rides, etc., not worry about making eye contact with people that are going to start forcing their weird scalp massager on me.
~Brandy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #29
Mickeyrella
Mouseketeer

I don't mind them but I don't enjoy them either. I wouldn't file a complaint though, other mall goers might find them helpful, just because I don't like it doesn't mean it has to go. I just say smile and say no thank you. No big deal, it doesn't take more than 2 seconds.
Mickeyrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #30
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Ugh. I hate walking the gauntlet of mall kiosks. It's so uncomfortable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: