Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Buffalo2Disney
Should we be HYSTERICAL?

This is getting ridiculous ... pick your lunch meal in ADVANCE!!

SOURCE

Because I will know in advance before my vacation just exactly what I want to eat for lunch. Ridiculous.

Buffalo2Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

When they say "prior to your arrival", my guess is they mean the morning of or maybe the day before your actually going there for lunch -- kind of like if you want breakfast in bed. You select what you want the day/night before.

ErinsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo2Disney View Post
SOURCE

Because I will know in advance before my vacation just exactly what I want to eat for lunch. Ridiculous.
DH and I always check the menus of the places we want to eat QS and TS before our trip and already know (for the most part) what we will be ordering. Helps us with our food budget too. But it clearly isn't for everybody, and it doesn't appear that Disney is trying to make it for everybody. Simply offering an additional service for those who wish to use it.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo2Disney View Post
SOURCE

Fellow Buffalonian! I'm with you when I am at the parks and don't have a TS meal booked, I have no clue what time I will be hungry for lunch much less what i'll want hours from when I have to place the order.....i guess if it works great but if not there are other QS places I can decide on when I get hungry. Can't Wait to try BOG though for dinner !

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

This doesn't look even close to a 180 day ADR or anything like that.

Be Our Guest is stinking popular. It's about a 20-30 minute wait just to get in to order lunch, and people are going there because they want to experience the restaurant, which means the menu is a secondary consideration for many and they've already planned to eat there for lunch. I can see where this would be appreciated by those who are offered it because it means their time in line will be cut down so long as they can figure out what they want to order ahead of time...and it doesn't sound ridiculous considering the restaurant is being overrun.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

Just to add, I don't remember how CS worked in WDW but if its anything like a typical CS that's all over -- its annoying to no end when people stand around talking about the menu and can't make up their mind, and are holding up the line for 10 minutes. I can only imagine the chaos that must create with the amout of people going in and out of BOG daily.

ErinsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
kanderson89
Mouseketeer

I am stifling a philosophical rant about this and the Fastpass+ system....about how hyperscheduled our lives are and how kids can't cope with unforeseen glitches or unstructured time, as a result. In my line of work I see it every day, unfortunately.

OK......tongue bleeding......

WL - 2015
WL - 2014
WL - 2013
AKL - 2012
WL - 2011
WL - 2010
Ft Wilderness - as a kid in the 1970s
kanderson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Thumbs down

I personally wouldn't do this. Plus the article said that the lunch line starts at PARK OPENING?????????? Who would stand in line for 2-3 hours to eat at ANY CS? Crazy- first we have to reserve our TS 180 days in advance, soon have to have our ride times picked before we get there, and now when and what we will eat for CS? Whats next? Restroom reservations?

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

It's not all CS. It's just Be Our Guest. Which is a special case.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Some of you really have to let those knickers untwist before you strangle yourselves. This is a test. It is only a test. It is not mandatory for everyone who ever wants to eat there. It will in all likelihood be an option that you can choose to use if you want to. No one is going to force a smart phone in your hand and make you use it.

I agree that these 'advance' CS ADRs (because that is essentially what they are) will likely have a short window- perhaps 24 hrs at most. While I'm not so OCD that I have our orders figured out in advance of our arrival, I have got our CS spots picked out. I do this at the same time that I plan our park days and make ADRs. So this would work for us, and I'm all for using the fastpass or express lines whenever possible. For those fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants types, then just don't do it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
For those fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants types, then just don't do it.
This. Even if Disney holds this over after the TESTING phase, you don't HAVE to use it.

Think about Disney World, people. You don't HAVE to do anything. You have choices. This is just one more of them.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
jeanico2000
Mouseketeer

It's certainly going to be nearly impossible to be spontaneous during a Disney vacation if this keeps up! Having to make ADRs for dinner so far ahead is already bad enough, IMHO. And by the way, it's true... I have seen people line up at park opening for lunch at BoG. That's a very expensive meal if you factor in the price of 1/2 a day wasted park admission! My DD and I lined up just after 11AM on Monday (12/10), and the CM was saying the wait would be approx 45 to 60 minutes. We were inside within 20 - 25 minutes and really, really enjoyed our experience! Great food, great atmosphere, friendly service, beautiful restaurant!
jeanico2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

If I know I want to eat there and know what I'd like to order, I'm all for this if it saves me from waiting in line for food.

As said above, if you don't like it then don't reserve a meal.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
DH and I always check the menus of the places we want to eat QS and TS before our trip and already know (for the most part) what we will be ordering. Helps us with our food budget too. But it clearly isn't for everybody, and it doesn't appear that Disney is trying to make it for everybody. Simply offering an additional service for those who wish to use it.
I am the same way. We have a short list of where we want to go and a good idea of what we will order (because that is why we picked those places). We also usually eat at the same time for lunch daily (when they open). So it wouldn't really be a difficult thing for us to do.

It's a new service. If it doesn't work for you then don't use it. But it is nice for those it will work for.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #15
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
This. Even if Disney holds this over after the TESTING phase, you don't HAVE to use it.

Think about Disney World, people. You don't HAVE to do anything. You have choices. This is just one more of them.
I agree completely.
It is one choice for those who are interested. If it isn't for you, don't do it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: