Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #31
Pamlur
newbies DO get tags!!

I have taken Ambien every night for the last 15-20 years, almost since it first came out. I can't sleep if I don't take it, but then, I take it because I can't sleep. Chicken/egg thing? I'm not addicted because I never "crave" it. Am I dependent on it? Maybe. But again, before I started taking it, I couldn't go to sleep.

Benadryl wires me instead of making me sleepy, too. Ditto any form of wine.

Occasionally I'll sleep-eat or sleep-buy, but most of the time I have it under control. I love my sleep!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #32
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

Get a better bed... used to sleep on a futon and couldnt sleep sometimes... now i got a pillow top with 300 thread count sheets, i sleep like a baby! :P

Lunesta also leaves me a disgusting metal taste. I was more awake trying to drink gallons of water to get rid of the taste... didnt try it again.

My mom uses anti-depressant to help her sleep. Doc recommended it over sleeping pills. i think she takes xanax. She has strong sleep meds that i didnt get to catch the name but the pills looks like effexor.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #33
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
A hear a banana works well.
***shakes fist angrily***

I knew telling that story here would haunt me.

So I'm back, and amazingly the PA was attentive and took me seriously. She asked questions and listened to my issues. She ordered some blood work based on some past endocrine type issues and I mentioned the possible menopause possibility. Then she prescribed me Trazidone. I'll let you guys know tomorrow if we have any luck with it. Fingers crossed!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #34
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

I hope that works for you! Not sleeping is so miserable, I've dealt with it all my life. I am sensitive to medications so Rx stuff is out.

Some other suggestions, evaluate your sleep environment. I figured out that when my DH was gone I sleep like a baby. Separate beds is not a possibility right now, but I've got a pillow between us as a buffer and I wear ear plugs. I also have to keep the cat off me, his stirrings keep me awake.

Make sure your room is good and dark, not even blue lights. Turn all the lights down a couple of hours before bedtime and minimize use of computers etc. Reading helps me.

I take melatonin, magnesium, and 5-htp after dinner. And I do my evening grooming before I sit down to read. So when I get sleepy, I can just go crawl into bed. A lot of work, but sleep is worth it!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #35
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

It's always amusing to see everyone touting Tylenol PM, Advil PM, ZZZquill, etc. ...

The active ingredients are all just diphenhydramine (Benadryl). If Benadryl works for you, don't waste your money on name-brand crap... go to CostCo and buy a bottle of 300 diphyenhydramine for cheap (usually for the price of 14/30 "name brand" doses).
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #36
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
It's always amusing to see everyone touting Tylenol PM, Advil PM, ZZZquill, etc. ...

The active ingredients are all just diphenhydramine (Benadryl). If Benadryl works for you, don't waste your money on name-brand crap... go to CostCo and buy a bottle of 300 diphyenhydramine for cheap (usually for the price of 14/30 "name brand" doses).
Actually I could not find anymore Tylenol PM's so bought a generic PM pill instead and saved about 5 dollars. I only take them once in awhile though because they make me groggy in the morning.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #37
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post

That was the most useful "everyday" thing I learned in pharmacy tech class.

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #38
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstrom View Post
That was the most useful "everyday" thing I learned in pharmacy tech class.
Yup yup yup.

I take Claritin (loratidine) for allergies. Claritin® 10mg costs $15 for 30 pills in a retail store. Loratidine 10mg costs $15 for 300 pills at Costco.

Read the labels, people! Save yourself a ton of money.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #39
Domo
DIS Veteran

You could always try sedating antihistamines such as Phenergan (promethazine)? They're available over the counter and really work in many cases!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #40
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlur View Post
I have taken Ambien every night for the last 15-20 years, almost since it first came out. I can't sleep if I don't take it, but then, I take it because I can't sleep. Chicken/egg thing? I'm not addicted because I never "crave" it. Am I dependent on it? Maybe. But again, before I started taking it, I couldn't go to sleep.
I'm in the current situation. I'm trying to slowly ween myself down, taking half a pill a night, and then if that doesn't work, i take the other.
My entire family is on Ambien. My sleep disorders are related to my anxiety, and the fact my mind won't shut down on its own. I confess I don't go straight to bed right after, I let it kick in. Sometimes I get clearing splurges! My sister gets these too!
But she is also a graduate student who is beyond stressed in every aspect, dealing with depression as well.
So I suggest that one!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #41
Domo
DIS Veteran

Interestingly, people who take Ambien et al can sometimes go sleep walking big time. It is not unknown for someone to wake up and discover they've bought several yards of superconductor in their sleep!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #42
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

Wake up!!! By golly, she must still be asleep!

I was on Ambien for awhile and sent lots of interesting emails to people I didn't normally email. I eventually went to a low dose of seroquel, which I still have just in case, but I haven't taken in quite awhile. Benadryl wires me--when I forget and take it for allergies I am awake ALL night.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #43
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Woops! Forgot to give you the update...

It worked pretty good (the Trazodone) on half a pill. I woke up a few times but fell back asleep fairly easily. I'm going to try a whole pill tonight.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #44
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

I like to shop a lot when I take my ambien! I realize that I'm doing it, and I remember it in the morning, I just can't stop my self at times! I also send some very outgoing emails that I'm generally too shy to do!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #45
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

I'm hospitalized a lot and can never sleep when I'm there so sometimes I ask for Ambien. It works pretty well for me. About a year ago I was on a new antidepressant for my migraines (I have a migraine every single day) and it was giving me insomnia. My doctor gave me trazadone or however you spell it. He said to start with one pill and I could work up to taking 6 of them at night. Even taking 6 didn't work for me. I eventually had to change antidepressants.

It's hard to sleep when I'm in pain so I depend on my muscle relaxers to knock me out. I currently can't sleep without taking Zanaflex.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: