Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #46
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
The problem is not that we cannot read correctly, but that you contradict yourself. You cannot say that you are not judging and then make a judgment on people who buy coffee at Starbucks. Just because you don't say it to their faces, it doesn't mean you aren't judging.

I don't get the appeal of judging how others spend their money, but once again, if you do judge away. Just stop trying to tell us that you aren't doing so.

ETA - Should we check with you evertime we want to say something tongue-in-cheek? Or just if it is about Starbucks? Or maybe just about donations?
I am not contradicting myself but if you want to think so then so be it. I am done here bc this is the pile on Mkrop thread now when I actually agreed with most of you. So twist and spin away....

And I think anyone who claims not to judge in some way how people spend their money is full of baloney.

The poor girl in the OP is just trying to do something nice for some kids and people are piling on here. She is young and frustrated and wants to help. I dont think she was looking for a pat on the back like some of you are claiming. She wants the drive to be a sucess for the kids, yes I think it is important to have her realize that people may not be able to donate at this time or donate elsewhere. But certain people are taking it too far.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #47
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

I also very rarely drink at Starbucks.

I also don't go to Disney World every year.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #48
Sam81
Mouseketeer

In my humble opinion you need at least 5-6 pages to have a real brag thread.

This year we adopted a local person's unborn son. We plan to provide all food and clothing when they turn 12. Top that.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #49
Sam81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
You people must be the Starcrack nutjobs that people talk about. It is a cup of coffee!!!! but if you want to compare it to a investment than go ahead bc that is what our DVC membership is for us. Also memories and time with my family is priceless, and I would sacrifice a million cups of coffee if I drank the stuff to make those happen.

If you bother to read correctly you will see that I am on your side that the OP should not be judging, bc people should feel able to to donate or not donate where they see fit. I said I would NEVER tell my coworkers, friends or family members outside of my immediate family how to spend their money! But YES it MY PERSONAL OPINION ONLY, I think spending all that money on a cup of coffee daily is ludicrous, but if that Starbucks means that much to you have at it. I am glad I dont drink the stuff bc $4+ for a coffee that you can make at home and put in a travel mug is not something I would NOT want to spend money on. My DH thinks the stuff is gross and bitter so I dont get the appeal, but once again if you enjoy it drink up!!!!

My point once again was dont say you are helping employees and stimulating the economy as your excuse for not donating....bc you could do that if you were so inclined at another store and contribute to the charity! But once again if you cant or do not want to give to this particular charity for WHATEVER reason than dont! I am sure you give what you can elsewhere as you see fit! Just dont say even tongue in cheek that is is bc you are helping Starbucks and their employees
Timeshare? Investment? Can I interest you in a bridge?
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #50
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

A regular cup of Starbucks coffee costs way less than four bucks. The fancier drinks do cost that much but this idea that everything at Starbucks costs four dollars or more is ludicrous.

Anyway, I think that I will help the economy and buy a chai tea at Starbucks today. My throat is bothering me and that stuff helps.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #51
Laugh O. Grams

DIS Veteran

"Did I donate enough"? Ugh.

Simply put, this thread has "tacky" written all over it.
Laugh O. Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #52
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I prefer when people give silently and anonymously. Announcing your donation just makes it tacky.

I think the same of celebrities who jump on disaster band wagons. It just screams "look at me". If you want to give millions of dollars to some relief effort do it. I don't want to know you did it though.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #53
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
My older son's school fill stockings for a Christmas party for foster kids who are medically fragile. I sent in some donations. When I went to the stuffing night, I realized that not many people sent stuff in for older teen boys. I wish I had known that, I would have sent more stuff in.
I like the idea of waiting to see what needs to be filled in!

My daughter is a patient at Shriners and we learned, older teens tend to be forgotten (they go up to age 18 - 21) as well as newborns! Seems, everyone instantly thinks "Childrens Hospital = 8 - 10 year olds"...luckily for us, she's a kid at heart so the ducky blanket she got when she went in for surgery was great (although super short since it wasn't made for a teen)...however, if I were a 16 year old boy -- don't think that would have made him feel too good.

I talked to the Donations Coordinator & she did say those were the 2 groups almost everyone forgets about -- newborns & older teens.

I have a feeling it is probably that way with most charity drives...so depending on what age the school goes up to, I would fill in if you feel you want to give more. I would also make sure to get a variety of sizes. I know at our grade school, I have known kids that were tiny but I have also known kids that were tall as the adults in 1st/2nd grade even!!!!! They could easily wear adult sized coats & my guess is both ends of the spectrum are going to be forgotten and you will get lots of the average sizes.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #54
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I prefer when people give silently and anonymously. Announcing your donation just makes it tacky.

I think the same of celebrities who jump on disaster band wagons. It just screams "look at me". If you want to give millions of dollars to some relief effort do it. I don't want to know you did it though.
At least, with the celebrites, there are fans who will donate to whatever because their idol did. Or because, if they call into the telethon thingie they might get to speak to a "star".

I agree wtih you, but will cut the stars a wee bit of slack.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #55
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

Timeshares are an investment?

Donations should come from the heart. No need to post or share with the world how much you have donated. That just makes it sound like a brag. And no need to worry about what co-workers are or are not donating. It's none of your business.

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Nik's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #56
Duckfan-in-Chicago
DIS Veteran

I'll tell you, if there's one thing I *HATE* it's people judging how much I've given to charity.

So I made a really nice hoodie out of cancelled check stubs to various charitable organizations. I'm thinking of putting it on Pinterest.

As for the coffee thing, this topic is also one that just cheeses me off. I've spent many an afternoon going right from the spa to a Starbucks with friends where we'll throw buckets of water on anyone who walks out with a cup and scream about supporting corporate greed.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #57
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfan-in-Chicago View Post
I'll tell you, if there's one thing I *HATE* it's people judging how much I've given to charity.

So I made a really nice hoodie out of cancelled check stubs to various charitable organizations. I'm thinking of putting it on Pinterest.

As for the coffee thing, this topic is also one that just cheeses me off. I've spent many an afternoon going right from the spa to a Starbucks with friends where we'll throw buckets of water on anyone who walks out with a cup and scream about supporting corporate greed.
I tried that once and totally ruined my Coach bag when the water when spla****y-splash in the wrong direction. Thankfully, my iPhone was okay.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #58
ksjayhawks
DIS Veteran
Dorothy and Toto have taken all my glory!

I think you have been very generous!

Don't be critical of the others at work. You have no way of knowing what other organizations that they have donated to. We are donating at work also, however I have already donated through church and three groups I am in plus my husband's work. I probably won't donate this year at work.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #59
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfan-in-Chicago View Post

I want you to know a donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund ("money for people"). Happy Festivus.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #60
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
I want you to know a donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund ("money for people"). Happy Festivus.

I also made two donations - 50% of my paycheque to PETA and 50% to my church (I believe in DOG in case anyone is interested).
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: