Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
antkim
"Easy to love"
Figured out how to feel good
More blessings on the way

Chh

I have read lots of great reviews about CHH and really would like to try it next month. My question is specifically about fried shrimp and clam chowder...being from NE we can be a bit snobby when it comes to seafood LOL DH is really the food/seafood snob since he has a fishing boat and eats fresh catch a lot in the summer. For those that really enjoy these 2 menu items do they compare to the seafood we are used to in the Cape Cod/Maine area? Just curious! How about the fried fish basket? I have one son that love fish/chips and another that would eat tuna every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let him! LOL

Personally I think I am leaning towards the Broccoli peppercorn salad.

Thanks for you input. I am really looking forward to trying someplace new and the quiet upstairs dining sounds wonderful too!

Kim
antkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Don't expect fresh New England seafood.

Not bad for fast food fare though.
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antkim View Post
I have read lots of great reviews about CHH and really would like to try it next month. My question is specifically about fried shrimp and clam chowder...being from NE we can be a bit snobby when it comes to seafood LOL DH is really the food/seafood snob since he has a fishing boat and eats fresh catch a lot in the summer. For those that really enjoy these 2 menu items do they compare to the seafood we are used to in the Cape Cod/Maine area? Just curious! How about the fried fish basket? I have one son that love fish/chips and another that would eat tuna every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let him! LOL

Thanks for you input. I am really looking forward to trying someplace new and the quiet upstairs dining sounds wonderful too!

Kim
No, not close, but about what you'd get at most places for the same things. I am from the Gulf coast (LA), and we too are pretty particular about our seafood.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
antkim
"Easy to love"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Don't expect fresh New England seafood.

Not bad for fast food fare though.
LOL obviously I did not think it was going to be fresh NE seafood. I was simply asking for a comparison I guess. Most reviews rave about it which is why I asked.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
antkim
"Easy to love"

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
No, not close, but about what you'd get at most places for the same things. I am from the Gulf coast (LA), and we too are pretty particular about our seafood.
So we are on the same page! I think I will just suggest we eat here and not build it up to DH. He will be happy to have seafood probably since lots of choices are more burgers, pizza etc.

Thanks again
Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

I am a Mainer...and I have had the chowder...its not bad at all...shrimp is sometimes good and sometimes greasy...
BUT do not go to the Cape May Buffet for dinner...cause it was not NE type of seafood that I was expecting..
Have fun and give it a try..

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
antkim
"Easy to love"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumba View Post
I am a Mainer...and I have had the chowder...its not bad at all...shrimp is sometimes good and sometimes greasy...
BUT do not go to the Cape May Buffet for dinner...cause it was not NE type of seafood that I was expecting..
Have fun and give it a try..
Funny you should say that because I have read lots of great reviews on Cape May also but one I read years ago was if you are from NE don't go because it is not the seafood you expect!

I am looking forward to it!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

How do you feel about Long John Silver's? I'd say CHH and LJS are comparable. CHH may be better, but the two are not worlds apart.

I cringe when I see people here saying "We're from (fill-in a region famous for a particular dish here) and was wondering how the (famous dish) is in WDW?"

For that individual, the answer is: Not even close. That doesn't mean it's not good(for most people) but there's no way it will measure up to your hometown specialty.

BTW, I remember when you got the boat! What did you end up naming it?
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Funny you should say that because I have read lots of great reviews on Cape May also but one I read years ago was if you are from NE don't go because it is not the seafood you expect!

I am looking forward to it!
Actually Cape May is one of the places that dh & I truly love. The crab legs are delicious, and we thought the clam chowder was very good. We've gone to Maine quite a lot and had seafood (mostly chowder and lobsters, of course) there and during our trip.

But, we just got back from Disney, and they changed the clam chowder to seafood chowder with shrimp, scallops, clams, and corn I think were most of the ingredients and it was thicker. It was good, but we really missed the chowder.

They asked us on the way out how our meal was, so told them we missed the chowder. They said it we had known, we could have asked our server for some, as that is their *base* for their new seafood chowder. Well, next time we'll know
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #10
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Kim
It's counter service in a theme park - set your expectations accordingly.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #11
antkim
"Easy to love"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
How do you feel about Long John Silver's? I'd say CHH and LJS are comparable. CHH may be better, but the two are not worlds apart.

I cringe when I see people here saying "We're from (fill-in a region famous for a particular dish here) and was wondering how the (famous dish) is in WDW?"

For that individual, the answer is: Not even close. That doesn't mean it's not good(for most people) but there's no way it will measure up to your hometown specialty.

BTW, I remember when you got the boat! What did you end up naming it?
Thanks for the replies guys...guess I won't expect much but enjoy anyway!

The boat was named after me of course! LOL Kimberly Ann!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
stevb
Mouseketeer

CHH is above average fast food fair. I've never had the clam chowder but I'm pretty sure it can't compare to the chowder you can get in NE. IMO it is one of the better CS places in MK.
stevb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
L&Lfan
DIS Veteran

We love Columbia Harbor House especially a table by the window on the second floor overlooking Liberty Square. Food quality is a notch below say, Long John Silver's. Perfectly adequate for a theme park counter service.
L&Lfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
wdwloverz
Tigger, is that you??

It is something different for CS choices, which earns it a point or two. I think the comparison to LJ Silvers is fair, I like LJS and CHH!! Shrimp are good although not consistent in quality and size (I don't know why, but have definately noticed this, even when dining twice in the same week...), the Anchors Away tuna sandwich is yummy, just basic tuna salad done right, on NICE whole grain bread with lettuce and tomato. The Lighthouse hummus sandwich is interesting but very garlicky. The apple crisp is also pretty good!! Im 'going to try the chowder next time we are there. As you mentioned, the seating upstairs also earns this place an extra point or two, very neat!!

Last edited by wdwloverz; 12-15-2012 at 10:27 PM.
wdwloverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

crab legs are just that crab legs..they had said on the menu that it was steamers too..so being a Mainer..I expected clams ..but they were little things that were smaller then my baby fingernail...they were tasty but not like clams from Maine...The chowder wasnt bad...and they had fried shrimp and some meat dishes...
I didnt mean to imply that the food was not good...but just not what I expected...would we go back...I dont think so...but not because the food wasnt good...

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: