Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrn View Post
We may go for 8 nights instead of 7 because of cheaper flights so may do a split stay 3 at POR and 5 at AKL that way I get to try both
I did the same thing for my upcoming trip...added an extra night making it 8. You actually need that extra day because of the travel days. And "yes" do the split stay. It wasn't so bad switching resorts, but it is nice to be able to try 2 on the same vacation. I would recommend it in your case. Those are currently my 2 favorite resorts, however, I'm now booked at the POLY LV and I'm afraid to fall in love with it, it's quite costly I just had to try it because of some issues I'm having, so the monorail convenience is my excuse . Have a great time whatever you choose !

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
nkereina
Wendy Darling

How often do you go to DTD? We like to go to DTD 2-3 nights we are there for shopping and dinner/drinks. POR is perfect for us because of the boat to DTD. They run very frequently and are a nice way to make the treck to DTD. AKL, on the other hand, you'd have to take the bus which is quite a haul. IMO, with the unreliability of the DTD buses and travel time, it would be enough of a deterrent to only go to to DTD once, if that.

AKL is certainly beautiful but if I'm paying that kind of money for a deluxe resort, I want one of the best amenities that deluxe resorts offer - multiple transportation options. One thing that makes deluxe resorts worth the money is the fact that you can walk or boat to most of the parks from your resort. This is not the case for AKL, and a big negative in my book.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #18
blue65829
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at both and actually liked POR better. I loved the big food court and the transportation (boat to DTD), also the grounds are lovely and I like the quiet pools.

I am probably in a real minority here, and this might sound crazy, but AKL felt too hemmed in for me, like the walkable grounds weren't very large, which makes sense because you get the bonus of the animals, but apparently I need more room to roam.

I concur that if you go pool view definitely request a higher floor, we had "pool view" that was basically a tree and the wading pool.

Overall I guess I just found AKL disspointing.
October 2011 - AKL
September 2012 - finally going to Universal - having mouse withdrawls
August 2013 - WL CL & I get to be at MK on my B-day!
September 2014 - Universal RPR
Feb 2015 - back to the beginning at POR
blue65829 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: