Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
HA! We are taking along the 9 year old, so these are probably out. Not that I don't think she'd love it. The kid loves food and knows how to behave, but I do fear we are raising a kid that likes the finer things in life. I feel sorry for her future husband .

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions!!!
With a 9-year old, you'd probably enjoy Ed Debevic's -- at Wells and Ontario. It's a hoot.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
ChitownFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmurfs View Post
With a 9-year old, you'd probably enjoy Ed Debevic's -- at Wells and Ontario. It's a hoot.

I was JUST about to type this same thing!!

Double yes to the portillos chocolate cake!

Cruise March 2013 (RCI-LIberty of the Seas)
11/28/12-12/8/12 art of animation (Nemo)
Spring 04- offsite, Universal/IOA, Discovery, DW
Christmas-New Years 02-offsite (Been there, Done that!)
ChitownFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
You might want to select one (or more) of these AAA Five-Diamond-rated restaurants:

Alinea
Arun's
Charlie Trotter's
Everest
Tru

However, they may be a bit pricy and difficult to get a reservation for.
Trotter's closed. He auctioned off all the equipment this week.

Ed Debevic's is a blast for kids! And I'll put in a vote for the chocolate cake shake at Portillo's.

I'd try to eat at the Walnut Room in Macy's. Get there early and get your name on the list and shop until you're called. The atmosphere is so festive and the tree is so pretty,to me it's worth the wait.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
You might want to select one (or more) of these AAA Five-Diamond-rated restaurants:

Alinea
Arun's
Charlie Trotter's
Everest
Tru

However, they may be a bit pricy and difficult to get a reservation for.
Trotter's is closed. And you are correct that the rest would be difficult to get a reservation.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
wdw_girl_18
DIS Veteran

Superdawg (Milwaukee & Devon)!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #21
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

There is a Roy's which is excellent. It's a favorite of Obama's. Good seafood and sushi if you like that. Lots of good choices for steak. Chop house, Chicago Cut, Capital Grill. Have to get some Italian Beef. As PP said there is a Portillos close to you and an Al's which some say is the best. Chinatown also has some good options along with Greektown depending on your food preferences.

BTW the Brookfield Zoo is not that hard to get to from downtown. The Metra has a stop in Hollywood which is just East of Brookfield. The zoo is within walking distance. However with your short stay it might suck up too much of your time.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #22
windycitymom
DIS Veteran

There are so many choices it will be hard to choose. Ed Debevics is a great choice! Then walk over to McDonald's for dessert. It's two story with an escalator and has a display of toys from different decades. Giordano's is the best stuffed pizza IMO. There is one walking distance from Millenium Park and one within walking distance from Water Tower. Have an Earthquake dessert at Ghiardelli's (across from the Water Tower). Portillo's is a great choice too (try their Italian beef, hotdog with the works and chocolate cake shake). Try Garrett's popcorn too. Check out Navy Pier too - they have Billy Goat's Tavern for a cheeseborger, cheese borger, pepsi, pepsi - remember that from SNL
windycitymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #23
nuttylawprofessor
Green is edgyWhat kinds of goodies have people found so far?
I keep my mickey hidden

Yolk or West Egg are top breakfasts on the way to Navy Pier. They're within blocks of each other.

Heaven on Seven offers awesome cajun food right near your hotel. It's on the second floor at Rush & Ohio.

For small bites of fantastic high-star cuisine without the stuffy atmosphere, try The Purple Pig...be warned, the waits get obscene. It's also right by your hotel, just off Michigan Ave, about a block south of your hotel.

By Lincoln Park Zoo, consider Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder. Instead of Chicago style pizza, they serve pizza pot pie. The Med Bread, salads, and grinders are also fantastic. Get there when they open for little to no wait, and you'll be all set to enjoy Zoo Lights.
nuttylawprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #24
bas71873
DIS Veteran

WOW. Thanks again for all the great suggestions. It is a VERY quick trip, we arrive tomorrow around 1:30 and fly out Sunday at 1:30 so literallly about 48 hours, but I'm definately putting Ed Debevic's on the list. Looks right up DD's alley and since we are doing the zoo lights at Lincoln, Chicago Pizza for dinner it might be.

I think Friday's plan is lunch, hotel check in, strolling down Michigan Ave (and a stop at the AG store which I swore I wasn't going to do, but a friend is on the hunt for some sold out (online at least) items and I told her I'd pop in and see if I could get lucky) and then zoo lights Friday night.

Saturday will be Navy Pier, Macy's and the Christkindle market (weather depending) and whatever else we can squeeze in that people have suggested.

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #25
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaKeke View Post
We love going to the Christkindlmarket! It's like a little German market with ornaments, Christmas gifts, and food. It's located very near the Macy's on State St. (where you can go see their decorated windows and go upstairs to see the big Christmas tree in the Walnut Room)

http://www.christkindlmarket.com/en/

Enjoy your trip!
I loved that but holy moly was it packed to the gills. We went last yr for Thanksgiving when it "opened" and hopefully it will not be as crowded for you.

They have food, drinks, and a ton of ornaments. I would tell you to bring cash.

Enjoy Chicago.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #26
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
I loved that but holy moly was it packed to the gills. We went last yr for Thanksgiving when it "opened" and hopefully it will not be as crowded for you.

They have food, drinks, and a ton of ornaments. I would tell you to bring cash.

Enjoy Chicago.

Good tip. I was headed to bank today to get some cash, but maybe I'll get a bit more. Thanks!

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #27
mom2aandj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post

I think Friday's plan is lunch, hotel check in, strolling down Michigan Ave (and a stop at the AG store which I swore I wasn't going to do, but a friend is on the hunt for some sold out (online at least) items and I told her I'd pop in and see if I could get lucky) and then zoo lights Friday night.
Here's a tip if you want to be in and out of AG as quickly as possible: call 877-247-5223 and tell them you want to check and see if the Chicago store has a certain item (s) which you will then pick up in person. They will connect you to someone at the store who can check, gather up the things if you want to buy them, ring you up on the phone and then have it waiting for you at a special pick up desk that is right next to a set of side doors into the store. Very easy!
Mar 2014
BLT: Mar 2014
CBR: Oct. 2009
Universal
PBH: Oct. 2010
mom2aandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #28
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aandj View Post
Here's a tip if you want to be in and out of AG as quickly as possible: call 877-247-5223 and tell them you want to check and see if the Chicago store has a certain item (s) which you will then pick up in person. They will connect you to someone at the store who can check, gather up the things if you want to buy them, ring you up on the phone and then have it waiting for you at a special pick up desk that is right next to a set of side doors into the store. Very easy!
But then she'll miss the best part ~ wandering around the store looking at everything. Oh, and don't miss the second floor of the store!
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #29
mom2aandj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
But then she'll miss the best part ~ wandering around the store looking at everything. Oh, and don't miss the second floor of the store!
well, yes, obviously she'd miss wandering the store. But the poster indicated she had sworn to not even go to the store, so this was a way for her to avoid it is that's what she wanted.
Mar 2014
BLT: Mar 2014
CBR: Oct. 2009
Universal
PBH: Oct. 2010
mom2aandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #30
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aandj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2aandj

well, yes, obviously she'd miss wandering the store. But the poster indicated she had sworn to not even go to the store, so this was a way for her to avoid it is that's what she wanted.
. Just vary hard to control myself in the AG store. Even more so when DD is tagging along

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: