Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #76
IloveDMB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post

However, I look at someone using my telephone line without my permission as theft.
I'm curious, when you call the police to report the theft, do they come to you or do they have you come down to the station to fill out a report?
IloveDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #77
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveDMB View Post
I'm curious, when you call the police to report the theft, do they come to you or do they have you come down to the station to fill out a report?
You are honestly curious about that?

Everyone is giving their opinions. I gave mine.

That's yours?

Another wonderful day at the Dis.

Good God, I'm sure if we wait long enough you'll give us a gem like "I know you are but what am I?"

Last edited by Bob NC; 12-12-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #78
Axel
Introduce a Little Anarchy. 1979-2008
Pi a la ModeJack, I swear…

My favourite story about something like this is from my mother. It was a telemarketer (a legitimate one actually trying to sell a real product) not a scammer, though.

We lived in Georgia at the time (and my mom hated it there). The woman called and asked if she would be interested in buying a cemetery plot nearby. My mom's answer?

"I wouldn't be caught dead in Georgia!"

They both had a good laugh at that one.
September 1996::WDW 25th Anniversary::Fort Wilderness\\October 1999::Millenium Celebration::FW\\November 2001::WDW 30th Anniversary and 100 Years of Magic::FW\\December 2004::Purchased DVC::FW\\ November 2005::WDL 50th Anniversary::Saratoga Springs Resort\\December 2006::Year of a Million Dreams::SSR\\August 2007::Pirate and Princess Party::Boardwalk\\November 2007::YoaMD::SSR\\February 2008::with Lissy::Villas at the Wilderness Lodge\\August 2008::with Nora::Old Key West\\December 2008::with Shianna::SSR\\February 2009::What Will You Celebrate?::Beach Club Villas\\January 2010::Un-Birthday:::Animal Kingdom Lodge\\May 2010::Dad's 65th/With Molly::OKW\\January 2011::Un-Birthday::Bay Lake Tower\May 2011::With Nora::BCV\\May 2012::One More Disney Day::OKW\\January 2013::Damon's First Trip::OKW\\March 2013::Spring Break with Sarah::OKW\\May 2013::College Grad!::VWL\\July 2014::ACTUAL BIRTHDAY TRIP!!!::Villas at the Grand Floridian\\October 2014::Food and Wine Festival::OKW\\December 2014::Christmas with Dan and LouAnn::OKW\

You must always remember to smile.

restaurants eaten at: 143/251
my blog
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #79
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Then just don't answer the phone. These people are WORKING (sorry to shout, but it doesn't seem to be clear). They're employed. They're earning a living. They're not on unemployment or welfare. Again, that human being doesn't care why you don't want to be called. The employer cares THAT you don't want to be called.

Or hang up.
I'm curious what a poster who apparently makes her living as a social worker would suggest they do instead of that minimum wage telemarketing job? People who takes those jobs don't normally do it because it's their first choice. They do it to feed their families.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #80
1001 Ghosts
Could you guess that the Haunted Mansion is my favorite attraction?

Quote:
Do you know what ironic means?

Doesn't apply here.
Actually, it does.

In fact, quite a bit.
1001 Ghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #81
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001 Ghosts View Post
Actually, it does.

In fact, quite a bit.
I don't understand how.

I have only told what I do. I haven't told others their opinion is wrong.

I've been told my opinion is wrong, others opinions are right, and that I should do things that I don't want to do, such as turn off my ringer on my phone. Or turn my phone off.

Look, some folks don't mind their phone ringing all the time with people they don't want to talk to, that's fine. I don't feel the same way.

The one thing I am NOT doing, however, is telling people what they should do or think.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #82
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
I'm curious what a poster who apparently makes her living as a social worker would suggest they do instead of that minimum wage telemarketing job? People who takes those jobs don't normally do it because it's their first choice. They do it to feed their families.
They should just quit their jobs and sit home and collect welfare. That's a much better option.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #83
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001 Ghosts View Post
Actually, it does.

In fact, quite a bit.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #84
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
By the way.....All I did was give my opinion of what I think about telemarketers.

It's obvious who the people are that don't believe there should be ANY other opinions except theirs.
Hey ... all I did was offer an opinion of your opinion.

Hello, Kettle. I'm Pot. We're both wearing black today. Who'd have guessed?

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #85
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There is only one little thing that makes me curious.

If so many people don't mind telemarketers, if there are so many simple solutions for dealing with telemarketers, I wonder why the public overwhelmingly demanded the Do Not Call Registry.
Where does it say that people don't mind telemarketers? No one here is jumping up and down and saying telemarketers are swell! Send me more! I imagine that the public overwhelmingly demanded a Do Not Call Registry because they didn't like getting telemarketing calls and, like some here, didn't want to use one of the many simple solutions that were available.

However ... what I (and others) are taking issue with is how some folks treat the people whose job it is to make the telemarketing calls. If you don't like or don't want the calls -- and you don't want to simply turn off your phone or let it go to VM -- complain to the right people. Make sure your info is up to date on the registry. Get an unlisted number. Whatever. But don't curse out or blow whistles at or play tricks on the person who is just trying to make a living. Just because you don't like the job they do doesn't mean the person is worthy of contempt.

I'm not a fan of stores that have people standing on street corners spinning cardboard arrows around, and I hope I'm never in a position where that's the only job I can get. But I hold no ill will against the people doing the actual spinning (unless they hit me with their arrow).

Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #86
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rence View Post
I am on the federal do not call list and the state do not call list. I am well aware of the exemptions to the do not call list (Political calls, legit surveys etc.) Any telemarketer that calls me and does not qualify under one of the law's exemptions - is breaking the law and intruding upon my time.

As such I will do as I please if they call me. I did not ask to be called. In fact by placing my number on two different do not call lists - I have explicitly instructed them not to call me. If they call me anyway - watch out! If they are working for a dishonest organization that ignores the do not call list - they need to get a new job - or suffer through the abuse. There are legit telemarketing jobs - get one of those - and stop working for crooks.

The most effective response that I have found is to feign interest in what they are offering (new windows, sell my timeshare etc.) and then just when they think they've got a sale I go "But - I am on the do not call list and by calling me you have shown yourself to be a dishonest businessman and because of that I will not do business with you"
So ... you don't like these kinds of calls because they intrude on your time. Yet you take the time to listen to the pitch and feign interest, just so that you can give them your little quote at the end. Why waste your time listening to the pitch, if time intrusion is the reason you hate the callers? And why berate them for being dishonest, when you're doing the same thing by feigning interest?

I know you think you're teaching them some sort of lesson, but all you're really doing is stooping to their level.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #87
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

This thread got weird -- and that's saying a lot these days.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #88
SheilaHeartsDisney
Yay Me!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want more stories!!!! Not whatever is currently going on here.

Whenever a telemarketer calls we ussualy have the celebrity sound boards ready to go. The best is probabaly when Samuel L. Jackson answers the phone. He's got a line for everything that could possibly come up. Mr. Rogers is another good one.
SheilaHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #89
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Worker Sue View Post
I am sorry, but if you are a telemarketer calling people who are on a Do Not Call List, I will treat you like you deserve to be treated. If you are a telemarketer calling MY home when I did NOT invite you to call me or personally give you my number, I will treat you like you deserve to be treated. If you are a telemarketer who calls me at 8:30am after I just worked all night, I will treat you deserve to be treated.

Earn a living in an honest job. I dont think calling MY house and disrupting MY schedule to sell YOUR garbage is an honest living.

As far as not answering they phone, they just keep calling back again and again. A Do Not Call list is just that. I will not treat you nicely if you call my home to scam me or sell me things.
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Then react like a mature adult. You're on the Do Not Call list? See the post at the top of the page on which you posted for how to deal with that. First, familiarize yourself with what is and isn't covered. If you have a business relationship with a company, they're exempt until/unless you specifically notify them to remove you from their call list.

In fact, familiarize yourself with the Do Not Call list restrictions. There are instances where you may have been removed.

Someone calling you at 8:30 AM after you just got home from work is identical to them calling someone with a nine to five job just after that person got home from work. Your shift schedule doesn't make you unique or exempt.

Honest job? It's great that you have an "honest" job. I do, too (one that likely meets your criteria). Have you met the economy lately? My friends who work in telephone sales have honest jobs. They're not on unemployment or welfare.

If you have an issue, deal with the company. The employee doesn't make the rules or set the working conditions.

Scams are illegal. Treat potential scammers any way you want. Telemarketers are trying to earn an honest living. Again, a simple "no" and hanging up is effective.

Face facts. The DNC list is worthless. There are too many loopholes for legitimate organizatiions, and the crooks just do their own thing.

The outfits that use the robocallers with a human in the backround simply flaunt it and do what they want. AGs in several state have gone on record that they simply can't stop this abhorant practice.

The people who work for these outfits are lawbreakers oure and simple. Why should we treat them with respect.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #90
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

It's so easy to say "no thank you" and hang up. It's easy and kinder and a lot less stressful than trying to make a stranger miserable.

What a thread.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: