DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place
 
bookwormde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,551

Thanks for the analysis.

How does housekeeping go up close to 25% in one year and only at 2 resort (BWV & BLT)?

Any one do the 2br equivelent weighted average for all the WDW resorts yet?
__________________
bookwormde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
dizfan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: WI
Posts: 1,758

Is there some reason house keeping varies in cost so much between resorts?

I could see AKV and BLT being higher because of the extra bathroom, but that does seem to be the case.
Is it shorter stays, which require more cleaning?
dizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizfan View Post
Is there some reason house keeping varies in cost so much between resorts?

I could see AKV and BLT being higher because of the extra bathroom, but that does seem to be the case.
Is it shorter stays, which require more cleaning?
In order to do any resort-to-resort comparison, you really need to start by looking at the variations in number of points required for a night stay.

For instance, let's say OKW had housekeeping dues of $1 per point and it cost 25 points per night for a 2 bedroom. In that example, you're basically contributing $25 per night for housekeeping services.

Meanwhile a BLT 2 bedroom costs 50 points per night and housekeeping is only $.50 per point. 50 points x $.50 is the same $25 per night for housekeeping.

You can't just assume that the $.50 charge for BLT means owners are paying less.

To do any meaningful comparisons, you'd have to try and normalize the data across every resort. Look at the weighted average point cost per night for a given room class--remembering to account for the different "views" (since a BLT theme park room doesn't actually cost more to clean than a Standard View)--and then apply that normalized data to the dues charges. It's a pretty daunting project.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
dizfan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: WI
Posts: 1,758

Thanks Tim
dizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Rob S.
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
In order to do any resort-to-resort comparison, you really need to start by looking at the variations in number of points required for a night stay.

For instance, let's say OKW had housekeeping dues of $1 per point and it cost 25 points per night for a 2 bedroom. In that example, you're basically contributing $25 per night for housekeeping services.

Meanwhile a BLT 2 bedroom costs 50 points per night and housekeeping is only $.50 per point. 50 points x $.50 is the same $25 per night for housekeeping.

You can't just assume that the $.50 charge for BLT means owners are paying less.

To do any meaningful comparisons, you'd have to try and normalize the data across every resort. Look at the weighted average point cost per night for a given room class--remembering to account for the different "views" (since a BLT theme park room doesn't actually cost more to clean than a Standard View)--and then apply that normalized data to the dues charges. It's a pretty daunting project.
I've done that calculation for the resorts that I own (SSR, AKV, BLT & VWL). Using the information in the budget, I calculate the number of points at each resort along with the number of points in each vacation home (2BR equivalent). I've calculated the annual cost of housekeeping per vacation home in 2013 as follows:
SSR - $11,668
AKV - $13,219
BLT - $17,344 (was $13,328 in 2012)
VWL - $12,150

The BLT number does stand out as high when compared to the others.
__________________
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
wdrl
DIS Veteran
 
wdrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BLT, AKV, Aulani
Posts: 2,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
I've done that calculation for the resorts that I own (SSR, AKV, BLT & VWL). Using the information in the budget, I calculate the number of points at each resort along with the number of points in each vacation home (2BR equivalent). I've calculated the annual cost of housekeeping per vacation home in 2013 as follows:
SSR - $11,668
AKV - $13,219
BLT - $17,344 (was $13,328 in 2012)
VWL - $12,150

The BLT number does stand out as high when compared to the others.
How did you adjust for the view category differences at AKV and BLT? Also, how did you apportion housekeeping charges between the two-bedroom vacation homes and the Grand Villas?
__________________
wdrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Rob S.
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
How did you adjust for the view category differences at AKV and BLT? Also, how did you apportion housekeeping charges between the two-bedroom vacation homes and the Grand Villas?
These are just averages. Looking at BLT, the total housekeping budget is $4.9M and there are 281 "Vacation Homes". Just doing the simple math indicates that the AVERAGE annual cost for each vacation home is $17,344. The view category would have no impact. I'm not sure how the Grand Villas would have an impact but I don't think it would be material as those are a small percentage of the total.
__________________
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #23
KingRichard
DIS Veteran
 
KingRichard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
I've done that calculation for the resorts that I own (SSR, AKV, BLT & VWL). Using the information in the budget, I calculate the number of points at each resort along with the number of points in each vacation home (2BR equivalent). I've calculated the annual cost of housekeeping per vacation home in 2013 as follows:
SSR - $11,668
AKV - $13,219
BLT - $17,344 (was $13,328 in 2012)
VWL - $12,150

The BLT number does stand out as high when compared to the others.
50% more seems like a big difference!
__________________


GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #24
JWG
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
50% more seems like a big difference!
Due to high point values, are people staying (on average) fewer days at BLT requiring more frequent full cleanings and thus driving up the costs?

As a point of reference, Disney will tell you that a 2BR takes 2 hours to clean (fully clean). Meaning, a Mousekeeper could only clean 4 rooms a day if all 2 BRs.

I agree the difference is ridiculously high. My recommendation, ask about it tomorrow at the condo meeting.
__________________

JWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
aggiemullins
Do I have to grow up?
 
aggiemullins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 183

I'm curious if anyone grilled Claire in the meeting last week on the housekeeping issue? I know from Tim's twitter feed he said they did say they had large increases in housekeeping pay and benefits, but 25% is ridiculous. I hope somebody called them out on it.
__________________
Mike

aggiemullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #26
zavandor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: An Italian in London
Posts: 887

We can only hope that this increase is due also to a better service in the future. Members complain form time to time about housekeeping issues. Maybe we'll see an improvement.
zavandor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #27
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiemullins View Post
I'm curious if anyone grilled Claire in the meeting last week on the housekeeping issue? I know from Tim's twitter feed he said they did say they had large increases in housekeeping pay and benefits, but 25% is ridiculous. I hope somebody called them out on it.
There was no line of questioning directed solely at the housekeeping cost.

Someone did bring up the impact of higher employer costs driven by "Obamacare" (which is gradually rolling out through 2014) and the DVC reps said Disney is already working to comply with the current laws. So that's likely part of it.

The new bed sheets are going to be more costly. More items to be laundered...more labor to handle the materials...more frequent replacement cost.

Disney reached new labor agreements with several unions a couple years ago and I'm sure pay & benefit increases of some sort were included. DVC cited a figure of wage & benefit costs rising as much as 20% for some Florida-based employees.

This didn't come up in the meeting but I also wonder what impact the so-called "fiscal cliff" had on the budget. As I understand it, payroll taxes are set to rise 2% for the first $113K in wages for all workers on January 1st. That tax is part of our dues and I assume DVC would have to take the possibility into account when calculating. Dues may be impacted in other ways if a deal isn't reached by 12/31.

Fortunately if these tax rates are eventually rolled back, any dues excess would go into the reserves. The 2014 budgets would benefit from the lower tax basis.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #28
dizfan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: WI
Posts: 1,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
As I understand it, payroll taxes are set to rise 2% for the first $113K in wages for all workers on January 1st. That tax is part of our dues and I assume DVC would have to take the possibility into account when calculating.
I believe the payroll tax holiday passed in 2010, was a 2% cut on the worker portion and not the employer portion toward Social Security. If it expires, it should not have any impact on dues unless it was part of the union contract.

However, it will make for some upset employees to see 2% less in take home pay.
dizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #29
CRobin
DIS Veteran
 
CRobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizfan

I believe the payroll tax holiday passed in 2010, was a 2% cut on the worker portion and not the employer portion toward Social Security. If it expires, it should not have any impact on dues unless it was part of the union contract.

However, it will make for some upset employees to see 2% less in take home pay.
That is correct. The soon expiring "payroll" tax cut impacted employees only, not employers.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
CRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #30
sweetdana
DIS Veteran
 
sweetdana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,747

BLT washes blankets every turn on the room, most do not wash conforters every night. Certainly an extra loan of laundry/labor would add something along with the extra bathroom.

I also have a thought.. lots of people just try BLT, and if it is only for a night or 2 this would bring up the average. If someone stayed 11 nights in OKW, they would have 1 full cleaning and 2 1/2 cleaning. .. in BLT it may be 4 sets of people trying 1-2 nights and a 5 nighter. I bet the average "nights" pp is much lower at BLT. I know about 4 people who put 1 or 2 days there to try it before going to there home resort. .. and 1 person who popped by for a night on there way to a beach resort. Saying I am staying only 1 night.. maybe BLT. ..

I dont know this is the reason for AKV.. but I think it is a good bet on BLT.

The newness is wearing off too.. so that may slowly wash out and next yr go down a little. If it keeps up, it is plausible to put a 3 day min on non blt owners, or resale purchasers, or something to assist and brining it back for the owners... as if this is why, it is not really fair to the actual owners paying the dues.
__________________
There is only 1 thing I love more than holding my DD's hand.. It is holding her hand and watching her grow up. ... added a new DD for double the fun!


sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: