Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Ford is not discontinuing the full size van. They are restyling it, and switching the name from Econoline to Transit, and it will look more like the Dodge Sprinter. And the switch isn't due until the 2014 model year.

But that's for an entirely different chore than what OP needs. That said, thanks for the correction on the 2013's. I was under the impression last year was it. Personally I prefer the GMCs over the Fords in this segment right now. They ride and drive much nicer IMO.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
But that's for an entirely different chore than what OP needs. That said, thanks for the correction on the 2013's. I was under the impression last year was it. Personally I prefer the GMCs over the Fords in this segment right now. They ride and drive much nicer IMO.
Not sure how it's for a different chore, they are just restyling and renaming the Econoline. You can get it with seats, and without just like you can now.

GMC/Chevy van reliablity is so poor, none of the coach builders that make TV live truck will even modify one. That happened about a decade ago. They stopped using Dodges 20 years ago, but since Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes models hit the market, they have resumed using them. Some will build on Suburbans, but if you could get on my FB page I could direct you to the photo of 3 of our competitors Suburbans in getting new trannies (2) and a new engine, all under 50,000 miles. Oh, full disclosure, my family car is a Suburban, one of the least reliable vehicles I have ever owned.....great layout, lousy mechanical parts.
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
airhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ford is not discontinuing the full size van. They are restyling it, and switching the name from Econoline to Transit, and it will look more like the Dodge Sprinter. And the switch isn't due until the 2014 model year.

Oh boy... glad I'm buying now lol
airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Not sure how it's for a different chore, they are just restyling and renaming the Econoline. You can get it with seats, and without just like you can now.
It's a tall van now, much more suited to cargo - as is the case with the Sprinter.

Quote:
GMC/Chevy van reliablity is so poor, none of the coach builders that make TV live truck will even modify one. That happened about a decade ago. They stopped using Dodges 20 years ago, but since Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes models hit the market, they have resumed using them. Some will build on Suburbans, but if you could get on my FB page I could direct you to the photo of 3 of our competitors Suburbans in getting new trannies (2) and a new engine, all under 50,000 miles. Oh, full disclosure, my family car is a Suburban, one of the least reliable vehicles I have ever owned.....great layout, lousy mechanical parts.
Not sure where you get that info, the GM vans are actually rated higher than the Fords. GM however does not build as many van chassis (dual rear wheels) as does Ford. So, it's probably more a case of what's available. That said, the Conversion Van industry is absolutely dominated by GM with probably 10 of them built for every 1 Ford. Sorry you've had issues with *your* Sub & with those of competitors. Every manufacturer has their share of lemons. That said, the general consensus on all the truck forums I frequent however is that Ford is at the very bottom of reliability when it comes to late-model truck/van engines (Dodge for transmissions) and it's not even a contest. The 4.6/5.4 tendancy to spit spark plugs is well known and the 6.0 diesel (now discontinued) is considered a complete failure in every respect.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
tvguy

Quote:
It's a tall van now, much more suited to cargo - as is the case with the Sprinter.

Not sure where you get that info, the GM vans are actually rated higher than the Fords. GM however does not build as many van chassis (dual rear wheels) as does Ford. So, it's probably more a case of what's available. That said, the Conversion Van industry is absolutely dominated by GM with probably 10 of them built for every 1 Ford. Sorry you've had issues with *your* Sub & with those of competitors. Every manufacturer has their share of lemons. That said, the general consensus on all the truck forums I frequent however is that Ford is at the very bottom of reliability when it comes to late-model truck/van engines (Dodge for transmissions) and it's not even a contest. The 4.6/5.4 tendancy to spit spark plugs is well known and the 6.0 diesel (now discontinued) is considered a complete failure in every respect.
Going to bed, but will look up and post sales figures and reliabiliy rankings later. We run V-10s in E350 1 tons. I'm not talking heavy duty chassis models, talking vans bodies. Only issue we had was with the sliding doors, which is why Ford only offers them now on the E150, you have to get side by side doors on the E250 and E350, they just don't hold up in commerical use.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Going to bed, but will look up and post sales figures and reliabiliy rankings later. We run V-10s in E350 1 tons. I'm not talking heavy duty chassis models, talking vans bodies. Only issue we had was with the sliding doors, which is why Ford only offers them now on the E150, you have to get side by side doors on the E250 and E350, they just don't hold up in commerical use.
The GM version would be the 6.0 V8 with the 4L80E transmission, both of which are pretty much considered the best gas-engine/tranny combo going in full-size trucks & vans. The 4L60E in 1500 series vans doesn't have a great rep, but that wouldn't be available in the 1-tons.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
tvguy

Quote:
The GM version would be the 6.0 V8 with the 4L80E transmission, both of which are pretty much considered the best gas-engine/tranny combo going in full-size trucks & vans. The 4L60E in 1500 series vans doesn't have a great rep, but that wouldn't be available in the 1-tons.
Apparently the coach builders that build TV live trucks disagree. Here's an article on the major manufacuters sticking with the E350, while converting some Transits, but still exclusive Ford.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/5...e-not-dead-yet

And those Blue Super Shuttle Vans at the airport, after a 2 year experiment with Chevy/GMC 3500 Vans, the company is back to E350 CNG vans with 5.4 Liter engines exclusively due to reliability problems with the GM vans.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #23
airhead
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys. I feel pretty equipped with E-wagon info now lol. Hoping I get a good deal today. Wish me luck!!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
airhead
DIS Veteran

more questions

I'm going to order my van tomorrow but have one small question: Running boards,do I need them or are they a hindrence. I'm in the process of "building" my van and don't want accessories I don't need. Looking for some feedback....thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #25
tvguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead View Post
I'm going to order my van tomorrow but have one small question: Running boards,do I need them or are they a hindrence. I'm in the process of "building" my van and don't want accessories I don't need. Looking for some feedback....thanks
We don't have them on our work vans, they would be nice. There is a nice handle on the window pillar to pull yourself in. I have them on my Suburban, they are great. I would consider them.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #26
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

It depends on how you drive. My grandfather ripped the running boards off the first time he drove his to work. They sit right at curb height.

Unless you are really short, there is a built in first step that is lower then most trucks. It works just fine for my 5'4" mom.

Have you test drove one yet? You should before you invest too much time in picking your options. There is a big handling/ feeling difference between the E-150 and minivans and current trucks.
Also, some people don't like sitting as high up, in my dads 94 E-150, I can see over Suburbans and most drive up ATMs screens are at your knees.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #27
airhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
It depends on how you drive. My grandfather ripped the running boards off the first time he drove his to work. They sit right at curb height.

Unless you are really short, there is a built in first step that is lower then most trucks. It works just fine for my 5'4" mom.

Have you test drove one yet? You should before you invest too much time in picking your options. There is a big handling/ feeling difference between the E-150 and minivans and current trucks.
Also, some people don't like sitting as high up, in my dads 94 E-150, I can see over Suburbans and most drive up ATMs screens are at your knees.
Thanks for the feedback!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: