Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Bounce_Tigger
Your super-awesome safari guide for the next two weeks

I have two close friends who are Type I and they both eat more sweets than I do! They don't look for anything that's specifically sugar free (except for soda - they only drink diet, for the most part).

I agree with those that say that you need to ask about specific dietary concerns and not just assume they'll need accommodations.
May 2007 - CSR with best friend and family
Fall 2008 College Program - Attractions
"Grow Eyes For Poachers"
Bounce_Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #17
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

It's nice of you to think of doing this, Tiger, but these guys will manage fine as long as there are reasonably healthy options among the rest of what is being served.

Your first post did make me laugh. I often tell my husband to stop eating my diabetic food and to eat his own food. For instance, I will buy pre-portioned food or make up my own portions. He'll eat several at one time. Also, he likes Cheerios, but I will buy Kashi Crunch cereal for myself. If I don't consume it fast enough to suit him, he will think it's going to go stale and eat it to "help" me. Yesterday I wanted some, but he had eaten it all! Next time I'll tell him it's full of ground-up diabetics.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

Ahh I can't use the diabetic ground up story for my stuff but I just tell them that it is gluten free. LOL It keeps them all away. Thanks for the kind replies. I will tell my son that we will just make the cupcakes and they can just have a little bit of one if they want.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #19
shortbun
Peacenik

I'm a diabetic and there is just no such thing as a diabetic cupcake. You could make the tiny size cupcakes that a diabetic could eat IFthey chose to. There is no such thing as food for diabetics. A diabetic learns to eat regular food healthfully. They can have a cupcake or half a cupcake or no cupcake at all depending on what other carbohydrates they have had that day or the day before. It's all about balance. Small cupcakes, and good ones would make a diabetic happy. Most doctors have cautioned against over use of artificial sweeteners, especially to diabetics. A cupcake with less sugar-angelfood or carrot cake-would also be easier to eat for a diabetic.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
Is the cupcakes portion low carb? Carbs turn to sugar. If the cupcakes aren't low carb then I am not sure what you put in the middle matters as much since they are still getting sugar in a different form. Sorry, just a little thing I get frustrated with. I see so many diabetics eat lots of pasta and bread, then want a sugar free dessert My nutritionist said don't even buy the sugar free stuff since it typically still has the same carbs in it that will turn to sugar. Sugar alcohols also act differently for some people.
My DD's Dr said if you are going to eat it, then eat the real thing, just count for it. It usually takes less of the "real thing" to satisfy you. Now she does use artificial sweetener, but only in drinks that have no carbs such as tea and coffee.

My Dr has never cautioned against the use of aritificial sweetener, and in fact tell her to go ahead and enjoy it. NO problems.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #21
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
Ahh I can't use the diabetic ground up story for my stuff but I just tell them that it is gluten free. LOL It keeps them all away. Thanks for the kind replies. I will tell my son that we will just make the cupcakes and they can just have a little bit of one if they want.
tigercat
Good idea. They will enjoy a "real" cupcake even though maybe less of it, over one that has been altered to make it "better for them" Nice of you to check though.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

I like the advice I am getting. If we were to use sweeteners I would have to go out and buy it just for this one thing as we don't use them at all. They give me migraines. I think we will go with the small cupcakes so that they can enjoy a taste but not a hugh amount. I am learning a lot more about diabetics which is always a good thing. I now know where I can go to get help if I ever need it for this.
Because I have to eat wheat free, I know what it is like to go somewhere and there is nothing for me to eat. I like to make sure that as many people as possible can eat what I make. My 2 granddaughters are allergic to milk so I make sure there are things for them as well, so I am used to special diets.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Quote:
I like the advice I am getting. If we were to use sweeteners I would have to go out and buy it just for this one thing as we don't use them at all. They give me migraines. I think we will go with the small cupcakes so that they can enjoy a taste but not a hugh amount. I am learning a lot more about diabetics which is always a good thing. I now know where I can go to get help if I ever need it for this.
Because I have to eat wheat free, I know what it is like to go somewhere and there is nothing for me to eat. I like to make sure that as many people as possible can eat what I make. My 2 granddaughters are allergic to milk so I make sure there are things for them as well, so I am used to special diets.
tigercat
One thing you can do to make them slightly more diabetic friendly is add a protein. Maybe a nut based filling or frosting? Maybe an extra egg in the batter? Protein slows down the way our bodies process sugar, and most diabetics are advised to always eat carbs along with protein.
I'm sure regular cupcakes will be just fine though.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #24
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
tigercat
YOu are so sweet for trying, but yeah, the sweeteners aren't really goin to do a thing. They are getting carbs anyway. I learned this with Splenda Brown sugar blend, my DD likes it on her oatmeal and I though I would cut carbs. WRONG. Splenda blend=2 g per .5 teaspoon. Brown sugar 4g of carbs per tsp. Really? Now regular splenda wouldn't have any carbs and neither would sweet n low, but as a few of us have stated, they'er getting the carbs anyway, go ahead and make it yummy.

OH and what monkeybug said is true, if you can add in a protein it will slow down the sugar effect of the glucose level.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: