Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
deanimal
DIS Veteran

Disembarkation tips

We're going on our second Disney cruise in February, a four night on the Dream, and I was wondering if any veteran cruisers could tell me how they spend their last morning. We have a late afternoon flight, so there's no rush to leave, and it seems to me that there must be some better way to spend your last hour or two on the ship than sitting around a crowded lounge, then shuffling along in a line through the lobby towards customs.

I know we have to be out of the rooms fairly early, and I don't want to get in the way of the staff; I know they have a lot to do to turn the ship over, but we do want to enjoy the ship for as long as we can. We'll only have a couple of small carry ons, and we'll have two preschoolers with us. Does anyone have a favorite spot that they like to hang out while the boat empties? Is there anywhere nice to stroll around? I'd much rather spend my last little while relaxing somewhere with a nice view, even if it's just an alcove somewhere, than crowded into a windowless lounge with a bunch of other people who are already focused on catching their flights and getting home. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated!
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
nic100308
DIS Veteran

I'm totally with you. Our first cruise is in January and while our flight isn't super late (2:55pm) we don't have to rush off the boat. I'm curious how long we can "hang out".
"My dearest friend, if you don't mind... I'd like to join you by your side. Where we can gaze into the stars... And sit together, now and forever. For it is plain, as anyone can see. We're simply meant to be." Jack and Sally

nic100308 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
tastefullyjenn
Mouseketeer

well, for our two disembarkations we found it to be more relaxed than I expected. Both times we didn't want to rush exactly --first trip we had afternoon flights, the second we were headed to WDW.

We got up, finished packing carryons, had leisurely breakfast at Cabanas and said goodbye to friends, and meandered down to leave the ship/go through customs around 9am. We waited in fairly small and quick moving lines by then. I suspect there's a rush at the beginning and at the end. Lingering too long on the boat is not unique so I suspect there's a line then! Remember, nothing is open...the stores are shut since they are in port, and the pools are closed too. I suspect deck 4 is quiet!
tastefullyjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #4
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

The first time we sailed this year we rushed around like mad people packing to get suitcases out on time in the evening. The kids were grumpy and crying when we left in the morning. Then we took an unexpected second trip and just waited until the next morning. There was plenty of time to pack, eat breakfast, say good bye to the ship etc. But there's really not much to do onboard. We headed out and went to a local place for breakfast. Then we went to Cocoa Beach. They have public showers there so we could get ready for our flight at 5. There was a sub shop across the street so we had a little picnic on the beach. It is was lovely.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Hanging around a crowded lounge? On DCL? Not my experience on 25+ cruises.

OK, first if you have main dining, talk to your head server the night before and see if he can seat you for late breakfast. If not, eat in Cabanas. They stop serving at 8:30. Unless you are concierge, you are required to be out of your cabin at 8 and off the ship at 9. We ate breakfast and then just enjoyed a cup of tea on the deck.

I will warn you that you won't be the only one waiting till the last minute to get off the ship, which does make the lines a little longer right about 9. Also, if you are using DCL transportation, they hold the last bus till they are sure they have everyone; sometimes this bus doesn't leave for MCO till 9:45 or even later. I was not happy to get off the ship at 8:45 and still be sitting in a parking lot an hour later.

My suggestion, if you have a late flight, is to rent a car. This lets you stroll Downtown Disney, hang out at Cocoa Beach, or whatever. The other option is a day room at the Hyatt ($100) so the kids can nap, swim, or whatever. Remember that you'll need to be at MCO at least 2 hours before your flight.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The only port where you will have to wait on the ship for your luggage tag to be called is Vancouver. Everywhere else you simply get in a short line and walk off the ship. Things are also not quiet that last morning. You will pull into PC usuallky well before your breakfast time and we have always been woken before we had to be up. If you don't pack your bags and put them out the night before then you will be carting them around the ship with you and leaving them outside the MDR for breakfast if that is where you eat. On our 7 night cruises we keep a small collaspsible hamper under the desk and I put that in a trashbag in a suitcase on morning 4. On the afternoon of day 5 I pack up everything other than what we will need for 2 dinners, our day on CC, clothes to wear off the ship and PJs. After we get ready for dinner on day 6 the bags go in the hallway. We are left with just what will fit in a couple carryons and have the entire evening to enjoy dinner, the show, Till we meet again and relax.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
The only port where you will have to wait on the ship for your luggage tag to be called is Vancouver. Everywhere else you simply get in a short line and walk off the ship. Things are also not quiet that last morning. You will pull into PC usuallky well before your breakfast time and we have always been woken before we had to be up. If you don't pack your bags and put them out the night before then you will be carting them around the ship with you and leaving them outside the MDR for breakfast if that is where you eat. On our 7 night cruises we keep a small collaspsible hamper under the desk and I put that in a trashbag in a suitcase on morning 4. On the afternoon of day 5 I pack up everything other than what we will need for 2 dinners, our day on CC, clothes to wear off the ship and PJs. After we get ready for dinner on day 6 the bags go in the hallway. We are left with just what will fit in a couple carryons and have the entire evening to enjoy dinner, the show, Till we meet again and relax.
San Pedro you wait for the luggage tags to be called, also.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
chateau
DIS Veteran

I spend my last morning NOT going to breakfast, but eating what I've stashed in the fridge (and my hot beverage) in the room, relaxing!!! Aaah, fond memories!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
deanimal
DIS Veteran

It's good to know that things are more relaxed at port Canaveral. We were on the Mexican Riviera cruise and arriving at San Pedro felt a little bit like a cattle call. I just know that with only four days this time, I don't want to spend my last morning in a herd!
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Hanging around a crowded lounge? On DCL? Not my experience on 25+ cruises.

OK, first if you have main dining, talk to your head server the night before and see if he can seat you for late breakfast. If not, eat in Cabanas. They stop serving at 8:30. Unless you are concierge, you are required to be out of your cabin at 8 and off the ship at 9. We ate breakfast and then just enjoyed a cup of tea on the deck.

I will warn you that you won't be the only one waiting till the last minute to get off the ship, which does make the lines a little longer right about 9. Also, if you are using DCL transportation, they hold the last bus till they are sure they have everyone; sometimes this bus doesn't leave for MCO till 9:45 or even later. I was not happy to get off the ship at 8:45 and still be sitting in a parking lot an hour later.

My suggestion, if you have a late flight, is to rent a car. This lets you stroll Downtown Disney, hang out at Cocoa Beach, or whatever. The other option is a day room at the Hyatt ($100) so the kids can nap, swim, or whatever. Remember that you'll need to be at MCO at least 2 hours before your flight.

How to the rules differ for concierge the morning of disembarkation?
princessmommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

Just an idea for after you arrive at the airport. We always try to get a nice relaxing lunch at McCoys in the Hyatt Regency. Their food is really good, and they are accomodating of carry on luggage. After lunch there are very comfortable seating group areas at the hotel to relax at before it is time to go to the gate.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommyx3 View Post
How to the rules differ for concierge the morning of disembarkation?
Concierge cabins can order a very limited menu room service breakfast on the last day (no room service in normal cabins), and concierge guests have a later "must be out of the cabin" time.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: