Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #31
criddla
Earning My Ears

I should have mentioned our cruise date is March 9th too! We are first time cruisers and so the date to book online is quickly approaching......I'm just not sure if this tour is something I should book as soon as I am able.....
criddla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
ldo
DIS Veteran

we have done Bacardi on our own 2X prior and enjoyed it--but I think for kids, I would not do it--at one point you go into a bar and the bartender talks about the history of Old Cuba and the Mojito--interesting for adults, but I would take kids to the Fort and walk around Old SJ.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #33
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

We did do the horseback riding excursion through the rainforest and it was just OK. They do not have their horses go single file so the whole way they are jostling each other for their space in a free for all and you end up fighting them if you get a.... spirited one. My horse kept biting the other horses and running me up against other people and vegetation - my knees got pretty bruised up. My husband on the other hand had never ridden before so he got a horse that would barely go. I was in the front and he was in the back the whole time so it was a little lonely... They also did not warn us about the mud so I ruined my new sneakers which is probably my own fault I suppose. I didn't even consider it and the mud STAINS badly. I was very glad I didn't wear pants as they would have been similarly ruined.

There was no food or water although they did try to sell $2 bottles of water at the river stop. Its just a quick one to let the horses rest a bit - no one got in the water or swam or anything, it was pretty dirty there - a couple benches and an outhouse. I did rinse my legs off and try to clean my shoes a bit in the river though I just got them muddy again.

I am glad we did it - my husband knows he doesn't like horseriding now at least, lol - but we would not do this again and wouldn't recommend a newbie do it since the horses can be a pain to control. They trot and mine even went off at a gallop at one point which was a bit out of my comfort zone.... they wanted to get back quickly and kept trying to pass our leader which they weren't supposed to do.

OH! And someone was injured as well - his horse bit another horse and that horse kicked out and caught the kid in his leg. He was not badly hurt but it still DID hurt and he was bleeding from a cut on his leg. Just unruly is I guess how I would describe it. I'm not turned off of horses mind you, but I would not go with that place again.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #34
KaryCam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by criddla View Post
I should have mentioned our cruise date is March 9th too! We are first time cruisers and so the date to book online is quickly approaching......I'm just not sure if this tour is something I should book as soon as I am able.....
My family is scheduled for the March 9th cruise also.
Have you joined our cruise meet thread? You should. You'll find a nice group over there and find other families that have kids the same age as your's.
Hope to see you over there.

Our plan for SJ is to go to both Forts on our own. Looking forward to it.
2013 Spring Break Cruise - East Caribbean (San Juan) - Fantasy
2011 Christmas Cruise - West Caribbean - Magic
KaryCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #35
Rambler5678
DIS Veteran

We took a private tour with Carlos and had a great time. He picked us up and droped us off at the entrance to the port.

https://customtourspr.com/About_Char...#About_Charlie
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #36
Jane1967
Disney Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler5678 View Post
We took a private tour with Carlos and had a great time. He picked us up and droped us off at the entrance to the port.

https://customtourspr.com/About_Char...#About_Charlie
I see there are a few different options. Which one did you do?

Disney Wonder February 2009
Disney World February 2009
Disney Wonder June 2009
Disney Dream June 2011
Disney Fantasy March 2013
Disney World May 2014
Disney Fantasy May 2015
Jane1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #37
dhluvsDisney
DIS Veteran

Anyone do the surfing? My 2 boys are scheduled to surf in January and were wondering about it?
2012 - Jan OKW/DCL Magic/BCV
2011 - Jan SSR/DCL Magic
2010 - May OKW
2010 - Dec/Jan POR/DCL Magic/AKV
2009 - May OKW
2009 - 08/08 Dec/Jan POR/Magic/SSR
2008 - 07/08 Dec/Jan POR/Wonder/BWV Apr/MayOKW
2007 - May OKW / Oct OKW
2006 - Oct CB/OKW/BCV
2005 - May WL/BC / Dec/Jan POFQ/WL
2004 - Aug. AKL/BWV
2003 - Oct. Cor/AKL
2002 - May WL/BC
2000 - Jan/Feb DL/Poly/Contemp
1999 - May BC/Poly
dhluvsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #38
Rambler5678
DIS Veteran

The gentleman I am talking about is Carlos Medina. I read about him on www.tripadvisor.com and cruise critic/San Juan , PR Boards. This was NOT a disney excurtion nor a taxi driver just wanting to give you a tour as you exist the port gate. Mr. Medina has a custom van that is as comfortable as a limo lol. On the tour it was two adults and two childern one 8 and the other 18 months. He furnished a car seat for her. He as several tours you can take or you can mix them up as time allows. He charges by the hour not the tour and has a 4 hr minimum length. If you do at least 4 hours, he will drop you off for lunch and pick you up and not charge the hour your dining. He is friendly and professional. He takes lots of pictures that he emails to you back home and also sends you a CD of the pictures. He also furnished water/sodas and snacks as part of the pkg. The special part was that he knew the day we toured was my wifes B/D and he stopped at a backery and got her a piece of cake with a candle to blow out. Singing happy birthday in Spanish at no extra charge lol.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #39
Meredith71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
We did do the horseback riding excursion through the rainforest and it was just OK. They do not have their horses go single file so the whole way they are jostling each other for their space in a free for all and you end up fighting them if you get a.... spirited one. My horse kept biting the other horses and running me up against other people and vegetation - my knees got pretty bruised up. My husband on the other hand had never ridden before so he got a horse that would barely go. I was in the front and he was in the back the whole time so it was a little lonely... They also did not warn us about the mud so I ruined my new sneakers which is probably my own fault I suppose. I didn't even consider it and the mud STAINS badly. I was very glad I didn't wear pants as they would have been similarly ruined.

There was no food or water although they did try to sell $2 bottles of water at the river stop. Its just a quick one to let the horses rest a bit - no one got in the water or swam or anything, it was pretty dirty there - a couple benches and an outhouse. I did rinse my legs off and try to clean my shoes a bit in the river though I just got them muddy again.

I am glad we did it - my husband knows he doesn't like horseriding now at least, lol - but we would not do this again and wouldn't recommend a newbie do it since the horses can be a pain to control. They trot and mine even went off at a gallop at one point which was a bit out of my comfort zone.... they wanted to get back quickly and kept trying to pass our leader which they weren't supposed to do.

OH! And someone was injured as well - his horse bit another horse and that horse kicked out and caught the kid in his leg. He was not badly hurt but it still DID hurt and he was bleeding from a cut on his leg. Just unruly is I guess how I would describe it. I'm not turned off of horses mind you, but I would not go with that place again.
Thanks so much for the review. That did not sound like an enjoyable time. We were actually looking at the other horseback riding excursion so hopefully that one might be better. We have some experienced riders and some beginners in our group. I am going to have to think about this some more.
Meredith71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #40
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler5678
The gentleman I am talking about is Carlos Medina. I read about him on www.tripadvisor.com and cruise critic/San Juan , PR Boards. This was NOT a disney excurtion nor a taxi driver just wanting to give you a tour as you exist the port gate. Mr. Medina has a custom van that is as comfortable as a limo lol. On the tour it was two adults and two childern one 8 and the other 18 months. He furnished a car seat for her. He as several tours you can take or you can mix them up as time allows. He charges by the hour not the tour and has a 4 hr minimum length. If you do at least 4 hours, he will drop you off for lunch and pick you up and not charge the hour your dining. He is friendly and professional. He takes lots of pictures that he emails to you back home and also sends you a CD of the pictures. He also furnished water/sodas and snacks as part of the pkg. The special part was that he knew the day we toured was my wifes B/D and he stopped at a backery and got her a piece of cake with a candle to blow out. Singing happy birthday in Spanish at no extra charge lol.
I was going to use him and he came highly recommend by some friends. I talked to him a couple of times he is really nice and will customize a tour to what you want he is really concerned with your happiness.
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #41
Disneycup
Mouseketeer

We just got off of the Fantasy as well. We did the Rainforset hike and waterfall adventure. We were really disappointed when we weren't able to do the waterfall adventure part because the waterfall was so flowing dangerously full at the time. It was not the fault of the excursion company and was just bad timing as they had a lot of rain in the days prior to our stop. It seemed like a lot of money to take a hike in the rainforest. They did provide a drink and a snack and an umbrella (thankfully)! The guides were both informative and good. My kids didn't have a great time and the hike was uphill a lot of the time. We would never do it again but the waterfall was beautiful as was the forest .
Disneycup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #42
Happy100
Mouseketeer

Fort question

I booked my son and i on the fort excursion through Disney. I see a lot of people plan to do on own. If we did it on our own is there tour guides in the fort to take you through it and tell you the history of it or is it a do it on your own and read the plaques?

Disney Wonder 8/24/15 "Finally Gold"
Disney Fantasy 3/29/14
Disney Fantasy 12/15/12
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 2/12/12
Disney Magic 7 day Western 10/16/10
Disney Wonder 4 day Bahamas 8/22/09
Happy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post

DD was wanting to do this. Now I have some thinking to do. Thanks for the review.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: