Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

While it is true that if money were truly no issue, what's to stop you from eating and drinking whatever you want, when I was there last July I wondered if the DxDDP wouldn't have been good for us, even as a "break-even" proposition. I don't think anyone should even consider the DxDP unless you're planning on eating at a signature pretty much every night and you should throw in a couple character meals in there, too. I've enjoyed it, and didn't think it was too much, when we did either breakfast or lunch and then a signature for dinner.

The signatures are pricey, and getting pricier all the time it seems, so I often wondered, especially when we ordered appetizers and entrees, if we wouldn't have been better off with the DxDDP.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

We do the DXDP on our trips. Mimicking what a PP said, our children enjoy the character meals. We'll do a TS breakfast and TS dinner - most being character meals and some shows thrown in there.

A pp mentioned that it's about 60 - 90 minutes for a meal which is totally true. But for us at least, if we weren't meeting the characters during meal times we'd be waiting in line at the parks for 15 minutes each which can also add up. We get to meet nearly every character and the kids are eating in between instead of waiting in line and getting antsy. It really helps open up our days for rides/parades/etc.

Wasting food wise - I'm not a big dessert person but we all love apps. I definitely won't finish my desserts because I'm full, but I do get to try new ones that I wouldn't normally order. Yes, it's wasting food when I don't finish - but since the DXDP saves us money I'm not going to pass it up.

Even though we do the DXDP, I'd still be in favor of eating and ordering whatever you want and versus going with a DP at all. Alcoholic beverages? Don't mind if I do!

Last edited by aaarcher86; 12-12-2012 at 10:28 PM.
aaarcher86 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
HadesTX
Whoa. Is my hair out?

We had the deluxe plan last year & really enjoyed having it. We were able to try many of the signature/TS places we wanted & used our snack credits at F&W. I was worried it would cut into our time too much, but it was nice to sit & relax a bit since the parks were so busy while we were there. We probably wouldn't do it again though. I drove myself crazy before the trip making/changing the reservations.

WL 12/13
POR 9/11
POR 10/10
CBR 06/07
GF 02/98
Off site 7/87
HadesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #19
akaler2010
Mouseketeer

DH and I did this last year and loved it. Taking tine out to eat at a sit down meal made us slow down, relax, and enjoy each others company. It also allowed us to eat at all the signature restaurants we wanted (almost every night), and I ate filet mignon probably 5/7 dinners!

I don't know if we would ever NOT get the deluxe plan when it's just us traveling. Can't say the sane if we had kids. However, we are big eaters, DH is a foodie, and I love dessert. The great food is the main reason DH will go back to Disney.
akaler2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #20
Twende
Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....

We did the deluxe plan 2 years ago and we did enjoy it. We mostly ate character breakfasts and the signature dinners. It was a lot of eating but we managed and did enjoy it.

Our next trip is planned as a split reservation. The first 2 nights will be deluxe and then the next 5 will be the CS/TS/Snack plan. This way we can have the best of both and cut the cost a little bit.

I have considered getting TIW but we have a large group and trying to figure out how to fairly split the bill is just too much for me. With the dining plans every family pays for their members and then the only hassle is splitting the tip bill. I handle that by guessing what people will eat and then figuring an approximate tip share for each family. I ask that they pay this to me before we arrive and then all tips are placed on my room key/credit card.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

We always do it. We tend to do early breakfast and signature dinner. As a family of 5 including 3 children we usually save around $500. We don't find it to be too much food and the left over snacks are always appreciated to take a few Disney snacks back home. Character meals tend to be expensive therefor makes it worth our while. Yes some find it a waste of time to do character meals and signature meals but to use it's a way to save time as we are not waiting in line in the hot weather to seea character and signatures are our discussion moment when we talk about the day, what to do tomorrow and so on. We also love our Appetizers and desserts. We usually end up sharing our dessert. The girls also share often their signature meals ( 2 meals for 3 kids, light eater) and will often share a lunch QS between the 3 of them. Now ask me when they are all Disney adults and still light eaters and I'm sure my answer will be different
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #22
nkereina
Wendy Darling

If money was no issue, absolutely! We did DxDP on our last trip and loved it. Yes, it was a lot of food but it was great to make all the ADRs I wanted and to stop for a QS or a snack when we wanted, and not have to keep track of credits because we had more than enough. It was truly "all inclusive" and we didn't pay OOP for one food item. We did have credits left over which we were able to convert to snack credits and use to bring home things like rice krispie treats, etc. Because of the amount of left over credits, it makes more sense for us financially to do regular DDP and pay OOP for anything we want above and beyond.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
If money was no issue, then why would you bother with any dining plan? Why wouldn't you just charge all of your meals to your KTTW card and eat and drink whatever you wanted?
Agreed. Did it this past August. Made so much more sense to us. And still did 2 dinner shows, CRT, lobster at Narcosses, etc. But didn't have to get a dessert I didn't want. Didn't want refillable mug. Didn't want anything but water (except for wine/beer) with meals. If money no object, why restrict yourself to a "Plan". Will probably spend around the same amount of money anyway. But if I had kids under 3 or even under 10, or had kids 10+ who eat like adults, I might feel differently. Paying for DDP or DDxP for a 12 year old who eats like a child doesn't make financial sense. Nor does giving Disney my money days in advance for food I did not eat.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
CraigInPA
Since June 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post
For the Deluxe Dining, you have to eat a good amount of food to 'break-even' and probably have at least 2 reservations per day as Table Service places to have ordered enough food. Assuming everybody in your party wants to sit down twice each day with the ability to overeat, and assuming that nobody in your party misses a meal, or skips an appetizer and/or dessert, and has zero [0] snacks remaining in their account - you get an OK discount (10%'ish). You can maximize your return beyond 10% with Dining Plan if you are diligent about re-filling your mugs.
Wow! I guess you really don't like the dining plans! And, I guess my family "over-eats" and doesn't miss ordering everything in the deluxe entitlements, since we regularly save 25-35% off the out of pocket price. We've done deluxe dining several times and keep every receipt, so the savings is real and absolutely quantifiable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCubed View Post
If you're enamored by Signature Restaurants and/or Character Meals, and if you plan to spend more than $500 (the break-even from $100 fee) at Table Service restaurants - Tables in Wonderland Card (TiW) may be able to offer a better dining discount. TiW 20% discount seemingly works best, relative to Dining Plan, if your meals include some alcohol.
One can only obtain a TIW card if they are a member of DVC or have an annual pass. If you are an out of Florida resident and want to buy an AP, the cost is over $600. To determine the payback minimum, you'd have to add the premium paid for the AP over the price of individual tickets to the price of the TIW card. So, for non-Florida residents staying 10 days, you'd have to spend $1800+ on food before you'd break even.

The original question was whether DxDP was something you'd take if money isn't an object. For my family, while the cost is substantial to buy DxDP for a 10 day trip of 6 people, it's still a no-brainer. We're buying DxDP in order to use all of the entitlements: character dining, table service dining, and signature restaurants because it's cheaper to do that than pay out of pocket or to buy an AP and TIW.
CraigInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
If money was no issue, then why would you bother with any dining plan? Why wouldn't you just charge all of your meals to your KTTW card and eat and drink whatever you wanted?
Exactly, then you could order what you want, appetizer, dessert or not and never feel like you were wasting food or credits! That's the real issue for me with these plans, I can't eat that way and much less orchestrate ADR's so far in advance! It takes away every bit of spontaneity!

I hate to waste food, in the times we live in where so many go hungry, I can't bring myself to do it!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #26
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigInPA View Post
Wow! I guess you really don't like the dining plans! And, I guess my family "over-eats" and doesn't miss ordering everything in the deluxe entitlements, since we regularly save 25-35% off the out of pocket price. We've done deluxe dining several times and keep every receipt, so the savings is real and absolutely quantifiable.
I cannot get the math to show a consistent 35% discount by using the Dining Plan unless you go out of your way to order the most expensive items, eat at least 2 sit-down meals each day, and/or re-fill your mug regularly.

Can you really eat over $100 of food every day? It's not so easy.

CA Grill (and most Signatures), Average:
Appetizer - $14 + Entree - $40 + Dessert - $12 + Beverage - $4 = $70

Of course, if you eat at Narcoossee's every night, you could eat $100 in lobster. But beyond that, you need to eat an additional $30/day to get to $100. This requires an additional Table Service meal. Most proponents of the DxDP suggest they do Character Meals to satisfy the need to spend the additional $30 for breakfast or lunch. Like I said, it requires [2] sit-down meals each day to get you to $100 of spending. Making and managing all those ADR's is not a vacation for some people.

Oh, I know I missed the snacks with a daily $10 value ($5 x 2 snacks). So now I'm back to - you need to eat [2] sit-down meals (and all 3-courses of the most expensive choices) to break even....and then you need to consume [2] snacks each day to get ahead.

So let's look at the math again:

Unless you try very hard and/or enjoy eating at least [2] sit-down meals each day - you pay $100 for what might be a bit more than $110 worth of value. Of course, you should also factor in gratuity. And think about the cost of both food and gratuity for food you might not have ordered had you not purchased the DxDP.

As to Tables in Wonderland (TiW), I cannot argue with the cost analysis to non-DVC members or AP holders. However, before I'd jump into paying for a DxDP, I would consider the cost of 1 person in my party obtaining an Annual Pass to receive room, dining, and shopping discounts.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2016?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2014?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigInPA View Post
One can only obtain a TIW card if they are a member of DVC or have an annual pass. If you are an out of Florida resident and want to buy an AP, the cost is over $600. To determine the payback minimum, you'd have to add the premium paid for the AP over the price of individual tickets to the price of the TIW card. So, for non-Florida residents staying 10 days, you'd have to spend $1800+ on food before you'd break even.
I'm not sure your math is correct.

An Annual Pass might cost $600, but paying for a 10-day Park Hopper is $400. For the additional $200, this hypothetical person can buy the AP and receive the room discounts (up to 35% at Deluxe Resorts), dining discounts (10% in many places; 20% with $125 TiW), and shopping discounts (10% off at just about every store). The 'hidden' discounts in an Annual Pass may very well be cost effective for a group staying for as long as 10 days.

If this hypothetical person purchased an AP + TiW for a 10-day stay, with certain assumptions, the savings are comparable to any discount package that you can purchase from Disney (whether or not Dining Plan is included).

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2016?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2014?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #28
sweeteypie1118
DIS Veteran

We did deluxe this past Thanksgiving trip. It was our first time doing deluxe. We got free dining, then upgraded to deluxe. We always ate 2 meals a day, not 3. We would do a lunch and a late signature restaurant, or a breakfast and sig. restaurants. I don't feel that it took up too much time, but I was definitely stuffed! We used up all our snack credits. We would pick up pastries often and have them the next morning for a quick breakfast. Healthy..I know I'm not sure I would do it again though since I did always feel stuffed and passed up on a lot of snacks I would have liked to try in the middle of the day. I definitely wouldnt be able to do deluxe in the summer when its so hot. The heat really takes away my appetite. I'm glad I did do it this time though since it gave me the opportunity to try so many signature restaurants.

This time...Port Orleans French Quarter

Ressies at Liberty Tree, Narcoossees, Tusker House Breakfast, Yak&Yeti, 50's Prime Time, HOB Gospel Brunch, Rose & Crown, Crystal Palace Breakfast, California Grill, San Angel Inn, Biergarten, Dine w/ Imagineer Brown Derby, Via Napoli, Kona Cafe,TT Dessert Party
sweeteypie1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #29
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteypie1118 View Post
We did deluxe this past Thanksgiving trip. It was our first time doing deluxe. We got free dining, then upgraded to deluxe. We always ate 2 meals a day, not 3. We would do a lunch and a late signature restaurant, or a breakfast and sig. restaurants. I don't feel that it took up too much time, but I was definitely stuffed! We used up all our snack credits. We would pick up pastries often and have them the next morning for a quick breakfast. Healthy..I know I'm not sure I would do it again though since I did always feel stuffed and passed up on a lot of snacks I would have liked to try in the middle of the day. I definitely wouldnt be able to do deluxe in the summer when its so hot. The heat really takes away my appetite. I'm glad I did do it this time though since it gave me the opportunity to try so many signature restaurants.
100% agree... we did Deluxe in September and the heat really took a lot out of us. We ended up cancelling ADRs last minute because we were not hungry, even though we had lunch several hours before. I agree that it didn't take us much time to eat a TS breakfast or lunch and then a later TS dinner. I wouldn't want to do 3 in a day though.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #30
IrishPixies
Earning My Ears

I'm on the DxDP this week I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I enjoy eating good food at nicer restaurants so I am doing an early table service lunch and a late signature dinner each night. Yes, it is a lot of food but when I eat out at home (not often) I order an appetizer and entree and usually get a dessert somewhere along the way. I'm on vacation which means I want to eat special meals and try new things (a burger from Cosmic Rays isn't my personal choice). The deluxe plan lets me do this without thinking about cost.

I hit the break even point with lunch today and I've got 6 meal credits and 9 snack credits left to use. And I have not ordered the most expensive items at most meals. I expect a $150-200 savings this week.
IrishPixies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: