Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #31
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Thank you both for your prayers - we greatly appreciate it.

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
angel's momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #32
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel's momma View Post
Angel will be having a minor outpatient surgery 12/18 to remove her central line. It will be such a relief to not have to care for it anymore, and she will be able to swim again once it's healed.
That is WONDERFUL news!! And a great present for Angel. I know it has been hard, especially discovering so much was unnecessary. Praying for happy days and accurate diagnosis from now on.
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #33
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Angel will be having a minor outpatient surgery 12/18 to remove her central line. It will be such a relief to not have to care for it anymore, and she will be able to swim again once it's healed.

Glad she is getting her line out! Will be thinking of you all. How did the meeting go with her wish granters??
NEmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #34
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Thank you so very much Judy & Melissa.

Thanks for asking about the wish granters. I've been wanting to post about it, but RL has been crazy, hope to get to it soon.

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #35
girangel
Mouseketeer

I met with my wish granters Saturday. They seemed very nice.

My wish is to go on a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on the Disney Fantasy.

When I started researching Disney cruises, I didn't realize there were so many different itineraries! I picked this specific cruise because it offers an excursion on Grand Cayman for a dolphin encounter and turtle farm that I would really like to do. The Fantasy also offers special shows at the beginning and end of the cruise, and the Muppet interactive activity. There's also the special animator's night at Animator's Palatte on the Fantasy. I thought this specific cruise is the perfect cruise for me.
2006 Sept. 26-Oct. 3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct. 8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
girangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #36
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

When we found out that the wish process would actually be starting soon, we started gathering cruise information here on the DIS, and we found the Wish Trippers thread. We found out that Disney only sponsors 4-night Bahamian cruises on the Disney Dream for Make a Wish. Angel was a little disappointed, but decided to go ahead and make her specific wish and see what happens. If her 1st wish is not granted, she will still be extremely happy if she can go on the Disney Dream, which she made her 2nd wish.

Since we still have to limit visitors in our home, we met the wish granters at a church in town. They were very nice, but I'm not sure if some of the things they said is accurate.

They said that we should know if her wish will be granted before Christmas, and that she should be able to have her first wish. I know that it does vary from chapter to chapter, but I know that Melissa is still waiting to hear about Carter's wish because cruises take longer to approve, and I've already mentioned about the Dream being the usual MAW cruise.

Angel would like to be able to cruise in May, so we assumed 2013 would definitely be out of the question, but her wish granters said we may be surprised, and that we should start the process of getting passports just in case (I have to get a certified birth certificate from out of state first).

We are very excited that Angel was able to make a wish, but DH & I are both rather nervous about the cruise though.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #37
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by girangel View Post

When I started researching Disney cruises, I didn't realize there were so many different itineraries! I picked this specific cruise because it offers an excursion on Grand Cayman for a dolphin encounter and turtle farm that I would really like to do. The Fantasy also offers special shows at the beginning and end of the cruise, and the Muppet interactive activity. There's also the special animator's night at Animator's Palatte on the Fantasy. I thought this specific cruise is the perfect cruise for me.

What an amazing wish! I sure hope it is granted!

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 7 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 4 Kara DD 4
Lilfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #38
NEmel
Mouseketeer

YEA!! That is the iternery we like as well, I want to see Cozumel. I have to go get the boys passports as well today. I have seen some wish trips that do 7 day cruises, so I think it just depends on the chapter. Lets hope you hear something quick!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #39
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Thanks Jackie & Melissa.

I hope your family gets that itinerary too Melissa.

I can't believe I forgot to post our exciting news - Angel hasn't had any headaches since Sunday night. We're very hopeful that they won't return, and that she can return to school when 2nd semester starts 1/7.

We've had a very hard day today. We had a lot problems with one class where the teacher consistently did not give her all the material she needed, and she did very poorly because of that. She is a very good student, and this is the only class that was problematic. I have been trying to resolve the issues for over a month now, and the school gave the final answer today, which was clearly not in Angel's best interest. She is stuck with a grade that she did not earn, and it will negatively affect her GPA.

Last edited by angel's momma; 12-21-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #40
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks Jacike & Melissa.

I hope your family gets that itinerary too Melissa.

I can't believe I forgot to post our exciting news - Angel hasn't had any headaches since Sunday night. We're very hopeful that they won't return, and that she can return to school when 2nd semester starts 1/7.

We've had a very hard day today. We had a lot problems with one class where the teacher consistently did not give her all the material she needed, and she did very poorly because of that. She is a very good student, and this is the only class that was problematic. I have been trying to resolve the issues for over a month now, and the school gave the final answer today, which was clearly not in Angel's best interest. She is stuck with a grade that she did not earn, and it will negatively affect her GPA.
AWESOME news about the headaches!!!! Hope everything with school works out!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #41
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Thanks Melissa.

Monday we had clinic, and Angel's ANC went from 840 last time, to 2130. Hgb went up a little more too. No improvement on platelets, but at least they didn't drop.

Tuesday she had her central line removed. Monday night I realized that we didn't get the call we were supposed to get that day to go over the specifics for her surgery. Admitting did call on Friday to pre-register her, but the surgeon's nurse was supposed to call Monday. We got to registration at 7:30 (we live an hour away), got checked in, and were given her itinerary. That's when I saw that the surgery was scheduled for 1:30, not 9:30 like we had been told. I do realize that they sometimes have emergencies come up that push the whole schedule back, but that's not what happened - they knew about the change in advance but didn't call us. Now we were there much earlier than we needed to be, and Angel had fasted since midnight (she actually set the alarm so she could get up & eat at 11 ). She wasn't hungry, but was already thirsty & would have to wait 4 extra hours. I asked if we could leave the hospital & come back in a few hours, but they didn't want us to do that. They made some calls, and said they would try to bump her up, but couldn't make any promises. They did take her back to peds pre-op rather quickly, and it was really nice, and had a TV for her to watch.

Angel was excited to finally be having the line removed, but she was pretty nervous about the IV, and then having to have her blood drawn normally again (she's only had one other IV, and a blood draw - both the day of her diagnosis). 2 nurses came in to do the IV, and both said that Angel had nothing to worry about, because they could see that she had excellent veins. Angel said it didn't hurt as much as she had expected. What she didn't see, that I did, was the nurses sharing concerned looks, and shaking their heads. The IV was in, but wasn't working. The nurse couldn't get a blood return, so she decided to flush it, and that's when it really got painful, so they removed the IV. The other nurse said she'd do the 2nd one. The nurse had some difficulty getting it in, and the nurse & I could tell that Angel was in a lot of pain, but she didn't complain at all. There was a blood return this time, but the nurse couldn't get it to stop bleeding, and then her arm became swollen, so the nurse had to remove the IV. The nurse went and got some other staff, and said that there was no way anyone was going to try a 3rd one while Angel was awake, because she had been through enough already. They decided that Angel's weight was low enough that they could use some options they usually only use on younger children. Then the anesthesiologist came in & told us she was very concerned about removing the line at all, because they may not be able to draw blood through Angel's veins. She asked us a bunch of questions, and when we told her that the clinic Dr. had just told Angel yesterday that she could chose to have her blood drawn with a finger prick, that was enough for her to let Angel have the line removed. She said that she could actually use the line to put Angel under, then they could put in the IV for the 3rd time while she was asleep.

This is her arm after 3 IV atttempts:

This is her line:

Nurse told us that it would probably be around 11 when they could get her into surgery, which was better than 1:30.

5 minutes later the Dr. came in and said they were ready for her. He said that there was a possibility that scar tissue may have grown around the line cuff, and that would determine how long the surgery would be. They took her at 9:30 - which is when it was originally scheduled.

Surgery only took about 5 minutes. Dr. came and told me that there wasn't any scar tissue, and they hadn't even had to use any stitches.

She was really happy that they brought her juice in recovery in a Disney Cars Tervis style cup with a twisty straw, that she could take home.

It was really nice not to have to do dressing changes this week, after having done them 3 times a week for 10 1/2 months.

I know it's a month late, but Angel had wanted me to post a Thanksgiving picture, and I didn't get the pictures on the computer until now. Here she is playing Pin the Hat on the Turkey. She's had the headband she's wearing since she was 2, and wears it every year.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #42
Irelandsmom
Earning My Ears

MAW Trip

Hi Angel and Angel's Mom! My daughter, Ireland, had a MAW trip too on a Disney Cruise. We did the Disney Dream in 2011. Our wish trip granters came by the house in December and then scheduled the trip in April- so I'm pretty sure they can schedule you in May without a problem. Also, we did have a few problems with our wish granters - mostly just mis-information and not returning phone calls for months. Our wish granters were college kids and definitely new to the process. When the wish granters came to the house they told my daughter that because she was an only child she could bring a friend on the cruise or both of her grandparents. Well she chose her grandparents and was so excited to be able to call them and tell them the good news after the wish granters left. About 2 weeks later the wish granters called and said Ireland could only choose one grandparent to go on the cruise- she was heartbroken! How could she choose only one after being told that both could go, and now which one???? Lots of crying and disappointment! I called our local chapter director because at this point I was getting really frustrated- so much of the information we had been given had changed and now the trip was causing my daughter more grief than joy! Anyways, they did allow both grandparents to come. All of this to say that although MAW is an awesome organization and we LOVED the trip, the granters are volunteers and can sometimes be the opposite of helpful So if you have questions with the process- call the PAID staff...you will get the answers you need! Also, don't be afraid to speak up. I know that it is difficult because this is a gift from MAW to your child and you feel like you really shouldn't direct the gift-givers on how to do their jobs- but again, many of the wish granters are fumbling through the process and don't know what they are doing. I'm pretty sure our wish-granters were volunteering for college credits as some sort of internship program, not because it was their life-long dream to help kids with their wishes But just so you know, when the details are ironed out- it will be smooth sailing when you get on the ship- DCL knows how to make a MAW trip the best! If you have any questions about a DCL MAW trip - I will be happy to help!
Irelandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #43
Maryrn11168
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by girangel View Post

My son's wish was a Disney- and Make a Wish granted him a 7-night Eastern on the Dinsey Magic. I know what gets granted differs by chapter, but 7 nights do get granted. He loved it and we all had a great time!

Honeymoon-Swan 1997,AKL 5/02, Off site 11/02, Hilton Head 8/03, OKW 11/03, Hilton Head 8/04, BCV 5/05, Boardwalk 5/06, Vero Beach 8/07, VWL 5/2008, Magic Western 10/08, BWV 11/08, HHI 8/09, Magic Eastern 3/10, SSR 10/10, Vero Beach 8/11, Dream 5-night 8/11, BLT 8/11, Disney 1/2 Marathon 1/12, 5/12 SSR, 6/12 Magic Weekend Getaway, 7/12 BCV, 9/13 DVC Member Cruise, 10/13 BCV, 2nd 1/2 Marathon BCV 1/14
Maryrn11168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #44
Irelandsmom
Earning My Ears

Ireland's TR

I forgot to put in a link for Ireland's trip report on the Dream, if you are interested:
http://irelandsmakeawishtrip.blogspot.com/
Irelandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #45
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Sounds like surgery was quite the ordeal Glad that it went fast and everything worked out! Have you applied for passports? We did ours on the Dec 12th and I just got notice that they are almost done and should be here by the 29! Yea something the goverment does fast. :cool1

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: