Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
constancefamily
Earning My Ears

Deluxe Dining Plan

If money was no issue, would you do the deluxe dining plan? Why or why not? How would you use your credits?
constancefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by constancefamily View Post
If money was no issue, would you do the deluxe dining plan? Why or why not? How would you use your credits?
We did the DxDP last year and enjoyed it. We tend to like TS rather than QS and we like appetizers more than desserts, so both lent themselves to the DxDP.

That being said, it's a lot of food (be prepared to feel wasteful at some point when you can't finish everything). And you spend a lot of time in restaurants.

We mainly did breakfasts and signature dinners, and never did three TS meals in one day.

We enjoyed the plan, but we now use the Tables in Wonderland card because it's a little more flexible and it covers alcohol too.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

We find the regular DP too much food, so I can't imagine doing the DxDP unless we did signature meals every day, like the PP suggests.

Also, TS meals can eat up 60-90 minutes each and we don't want to spend upwards of 3-4 hours A DAY inside restaurants. None of Disney's food is that good!

And finally, when the weather is hot and our appetites are dulled, we often share a CS meal on days when we are going to eat a buffet dinner. This would mean wasted credits on those days, which my frugal side just could not tolerate.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
meredith1
DIS Veteran

We do the deluxe dining plan every visit. We have young children that love the character meals and my H and I like TS for dinner.

We typically to an early morning pre park opening breakfast (characters) for the kids, use snack credits for midday and a nice TS for dinner. So we are eating a good breakfast at 7:30/8:00 and then, eating another good meal around 6:30/7:00 in the evening. It's perfect for us!

We always end up with lots of snack credits in the end. We just use those on snacks we can bring back home with us...they always get eaten.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by constancefamily View Post
If money was no issue, then why would you bother with any dining plan? Why wouldn't you just charge all of your meals to your KTTW card and eat and drink whatever you wanted?
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
If money was no issue, then why would you bother with any dining plan? Why wouldn't you just charge all of your meals to your KTTW card and eat and drink whatever you wanted?
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
ErinsMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I totally agree with this.

ErinsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

You have to eat a good amount of food to 'break-even' with Dining Plans.

For the Deluxe Dining, you have to eat a good amount of food to 'break-even' and probably have at least 2 reservations per day as Table Service places to have ordered enough food.

Assuming everybody in your party wants to sit down twice each day with the ability to overeat, and assuming that nobody in your party misses a meal, or skips an appetizer and/or dessert, and has zero [0] snacks remaining in their account - you get an OK discount (10%'ish). You can maximize your return beyond 10% with Dining Plan if you are diligent about re-filling your mugs.

But the question - if money were no object....I would be comfortable prepaying and not having to worry about reconciling any bills at the end of my stay. Regardless, for the way my family dines, we shouldn't feel compelled to order too much food or outside our comfort zone to simply 'break-even'.

If you're enamored by Signature Restaurants and/or Character Meals, and if you plan to spend more than $500 (the break-even from $100 fee) at Table Service restaurants - Tables in Wonderland Card (TiW) may be able to offer a better dining discount. TiW 20% discount seemingly works best, relative to Dining Plan, if your meals include some alcohol.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
You took the words right out of my keyboard. If money was no object, I would eat wherever I wanted, which would include the Swan and Dolphin restaurants as well as V&A, and never look back. If I were on the DxDP, I would be skipping these places.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

There is no way we would get the deluxe. We always get the regular and are always full. I know we would enjoy the restaurants more if we were actually hungry!
Peter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This! I have read way too many trip reports of people on the DxDP that told of being sick of food, just barely tasting some meals, and a bite out of desserts just to taste it, etc. I can't stand waste to this extent. We don't do any DP's and we eat what we want for far less than the cost of the plan.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Cinderella1122
DVC member since 2008

I have done DXDP several times. We purchased it again for next week. We are all adults with no children and prefer signiture dining. We have an early lunch and a late dinner booked for every day of our stay. It is a lot of food. We often get an app to split, our entree, and dessert. We find that we still save money even though all of us aren't getting an app.

June 2014 - All Star Music
December 2014 - Saratoga Springs
June 2015 - All Star Music
December 2015 - Bay Lake Tower
Cinderella1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

No way. It's too much food, too many reservations to keep track of, too much time spent inside of restaurants.

As PPs have said, if money were no object, I'd eat exactly as I wanted and not even bother with the dining plan. In fact, I'm considering not bothering with the dining plan on our next trip. Then I won't have to worry about maxing out every single meal, getting desserts I couldn't eat or didn't want, and wasting a ton of food.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

When Disney's signatures reach the same quality as the Swan/Dolphin restaurants, I might consider it. No, not even then. Too rigid for my style.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: