Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
That is true about not judging, I could be jumping to conclusions. Its just that I see some of the people who haven't donated buying starbucks almost every shift.

But maybe I'll buy another coat, but not put it in the donation box until the end in case its not needed. There is just a good sale on them this week!
I buy starbucks and go out for lunch.

Last year, we had an annual conferece. At the end, they gave each of us a piece of paper. You had to pledge your donation to St. Jude Children's hospital before you could leave. I and another manager were about the only two who made it clear that we wouldn't donate and left. I am sure there were people judging me.

I have nothing against St. Jude. It's just not in my budget which includes enough donation to other charities.

Last edited by KennesawNemo; 12-12-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, that was my point. I understand people give to a lot of different places, and not everyone gives to the same cause. I just think that since it's something we are doing as a store, they could easily skip a coffee one day, buy a pair of gloves, and help contribute. Maybe they will, who knows. But I just wanted to vent.
Did they get to vote on you "doing it as a store"? If not, then they should not feel pressured to skip a coffee one day or anything else.

Other than wanting a pat on the back, I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread - you donate as much (or as little) as you can afford. The end.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
BeachLove
Mouseketeer

You donated enough, don't over extend yourself when the budget doesn't allow it. Just don't start telling your co-workers to quit the Starbucks or eating out to donate. It's their money.

Oh yeah, don't vent about donating here. It goes downhill real quick. If they want to donate, great. If not, don't start giving people the stink eye or making them feel guilty.
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

You are doing fine, the others are doing fine too.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo

Last year, we had an annual conferece. At the end, they gave each of us a piece of paper. You had to pledge your donation to St. Jude Children's hospital before you could leave. I and another manager were about the only two who made it clear that we wouldn't donate and left. I am sure there were people judging me.

I have nothing against St. Jude. It's just not in my budget which includes enough donation to other charities.
Good for you! No one should be forced to donate to anything. Give what you are comfortable with to who you wish. In my house my husband and I each donate to different things. I would not expect him to donate to my causes and he does not expect me to donate to his.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #21
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

I also donate at Starbucks, so the hard-working employees can keep their jobs. In exchange, they give me a cup of coffee. Win-win!!
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is true about not judging, I could be jumping to conclusions. Its just that I see some of the people who haven't donated buying starbucks almost every shift.

But maybe I'll buy another coat, but not put it in the donation box until the end in case its not needed. There is just a good sale on them this week!
Donate more if you want to donate more, but please don't judge others on how much you see them donating. Perhaps that person drinking the Starbucks donated five coats and twelve toys at his church because he knows that the gifts from there will be donated to someone in his church. Just because you don't see the participating doesn't meant that they aren't. And even if they aren't, it's not really your business.

Honestly, I get stretched thin this time of year with all the various charities asking for donations. I give some now, but I save the bulk of my donation budget for other times of year, especially the money I donate to the food bank...I have read so many times that they get so much food this time of year, but then during other times of the year (like in the summer) their shelves get very bare...so I make a point to make by biggest donation then. Maybe your coworkers are doing the same.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Surely, OP, there's some little luxury you could give up? Maybe give up your internet? Sell your computer or smart phone? You could donate that money.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
ashley0139
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
Most people, including myself, donate what they can afford and most don't go on a message board to brag about it and look for pats on the back. Your post sort of diminishes your good intentions and the donations you intend to give...IMHO.
Seriously. Thank you.

Pre-Trip Report 2009: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2293006

Pop Century October 19-26, 2011

Pre-Trip Report 2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2796928
Trip Report 2011:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867080
ashley0139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
Most people, including myself, donate what they can afford and most don't go on a message board to brag about it and look for pats on the back. Your post sort of diminishes your good intentions and the donations you intend to give...IMHO.

Give what you can and feel comfortable with and don't worry about what your co-workers are doing with their money and how/if they choose to donate.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
I also donate at Starbucks, so the hard-working employees can keep their jobs. In exchange, they give me a cup of coffee. Win-win!!
Not juding...but you can also donate at the Gap or the Children's Place or Sears, buy a hat or gloves, have those hard working people keep their jobs as well, and donate to the charity...that would be win-win-win!

I seriously dont care what charity one chooses to donate to or not donate to but I feel comparing donating to buying a cup of coffee is silly to this discussion.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #27
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
Not juding...but you can also donate at the Gap or the Children's Place or Sears, buy a hat or gloves, have those hard working people keep their jobs as well, and donate to the charity...that would be win-win-win!

I seriously dont care what charity one chooses to donate to or not donate to but I feel comparing donating to buying a cup of coffee is silly to this discussion.
Perhaps you missed the sarcasm intended in my post. I'll be more direct: I spend my money as I choose. How my colleagues spend theirs is none of my business.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #28
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennesawNemo View Post

Wow.How awful to try to force people nto donating like that--good for you and you and the other manager for refusing to be manipulated like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
Donate more if you want to donate more, but please don't judge others on how much you see them donating. Perhaps that person drinking the Starbucks donated five coats and twelve toys at his church because he knows that the gifts from there will be donated to someone in his church. Just because you don't see the participating doesn't meant that they aren't. And even if they aren't, it's not really your business.

Honestly, I get stretched thin this time of year with all the various charities asking for donations. I give some now, but I save the bulk of my donation budget for other times of year, especially the money I donate to the food bank...I have read so many times that they get so much food this time of year, but then during other times of the year (like in the summer) their shelves get very bare...so I make a point to make by biggest donation then. Maybe your coworkers are doing the same.
I am the same way. Between Christmas and 5 6 family birthdays (including both of our own kids) this tme of year we have little leftover--but we give about as much as we spend on the holdays during each other quarter of the year to organizations we care about and who can use the help year round

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
Perhaps you missed the sarcasm intended in my post. I'll be more direct: I spend my money as I choose. How my colleagues spend theirs is none of my business.
I didnt miss it...you can certainly choose to spend how you see fit I was just offering an alternative that inluded 3 wins!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #30
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
I didnt miss it...you can certainly choose to spend how you see fit I was just offering an alternative that inluded 3 wins!
Why? Why should they go donate money instead of buying a coffee? You do what you want and let others do as they see fit. Do you not think anyone who goes to Starbucks daily donated anything? Do you not have any extras in your life? If so, by your logic you better give them up and go buy piles of mittens instead.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: