Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #451
jodipaige2004
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Gah... they changed the course. I'm pouting.

From website: Half Marathon Course Description

The course for this race packed with pixie dust will begin on Disneyland Drive where runners will pass under Downtown Disney® on their way into Disney California Adventure® Park. Runners will experience the glitz and glamour of the Park's Hollywood Boulevard, before racing down Route 66 into Cars Land, and winding around the glistening Paradise Bay. The race will continue down the famed Main Street U.S.A. and pass the home of Tinker Bell and her pixie pals, Pixie Hollow, before it makes its way around the Rivers of America. After Disneyland® Park, the race will cut through Downtown Disney® by the Disneyland® Hotel and then it is on to the City of Anaheim. Runners will race through the enchanting, historic neighborhoods of downtown Anaheim, down the Anaheim Center Street Promenade and past Anaheim Ice on their way towards City Hall. Before returning to the Disneyland® Resort runners make their way past the Anaheim GardenWalk, and then it's time for their "Fairy"-tale finish near Disney's Paradise Pier® Hotel.
Is this for the Tink? No Angel Stadium? I thought that was the best part...I am doing Princess this year at WDW but was thinking Tink for 2014. Bummer if the course is not as fun.

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun
jodipaige2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #452
MotoXPrincess99
Yep, mine is new too
I just googled
Drive-by girl
Today is a GOOD DAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipaige2004

Is this for the Tink? No Angel Stadium? I thought that was the best part...I am doing Princess this year at WDW but was thinking Tink for 2014. Bummer if the course is not as fun.

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun
Only the Disneyland Half in September runs through the stadium. Tink Half stayed more north of Disneyland.
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #453
niclodn
Mouseketeer

I've been more of a lurker than a poster here, but I just did my first 13+ mile training run on Sunday! I didn't GPS it, but it was somewhere around 13.25 miles and I finished in 2:38. I have to admit that I'm pretty proud of myself given that I just started running last February and up to this point I'd never run farther than 10 miles. I did learn a lot during this one and thought I'd share in case anyone else is in the same boat...

1. A 30/30 run/walk interval works best for me on long runs at this point. I was pretty much able to maintain that for most of the run with just a few extra walk breaks.
2. I run my best between miles 5-10. My per mile pace was almost a whole minute faster during this part of my run than that of the 5K I ran on Saturday!
3. Body glide, body glide, body glide! I cannot use too much of this stuff on long runs -- I had chaffing from my sports bra and shirt sleeves that started around mile 8. Not fun.
4. I need to remember to check the weather forecast BEFORE heading out for a long run. I also need to remember to take my visor/hat if there is even a slight chance of rain (otherwise rain and sweat run into my eyes and blind me...).
5. I do not particularly like to run in the rain. Well, let me clarify. I don't mind running when its sprinkling -- that's actually kind of refreshing. I do not, however, like carrying around 10 pounds of water logged clothing and a small pond in my shoes while running. I found this out when it started to pour around mile 9. And about 3 miles from home...
6. And most importantly, I CAN run a half marathon and not die! I was pretty achy Sunday evening, but that was all pretty much gone by Monday. I feel great today and am even looking forward to the 4 miler on the schedule for tonight

My real test will be in 2 weeks. I will be braving the arctic tundra like conditions of northern Indiana for my 14 mile run. Okay, well maybe "arctic tundra" is a bit of a stretch, but it will certainly seem like one given that I'm used to running in 60-80 degree weather in NC! LOL!
niclodn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #454
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipaige2004 View Post
The Tink course is fun! No Angel Stadium, but we get to run through downtown Anaheim and more residential area which is a lot better to look at then the industrial area between Ball and the Stadium. It also seemed like there were more people out for Tink than DL, w/ the residential areas there were people on their front lawns cheering. You should come out for '14, you won't be disappointed!!

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #455
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
The Tink course is fun! No Angel Stadium, but we get to run through downtown Anaheim and more residential area which is a lot better to look at then the industrial area between Ball and the Stadium. It also seemed like there were more people out for Tink than DL, w/ the residential areas there were people on their front lawns cheering. You should come out for '14, you won't be disappointed!!
I'm with Kim...the Tink course is FUN !! I actually like much more than the DL 1/2 course.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #456
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by niclodn View Post
I've been more of a lurker than a poster here, but I just did my first 13+ mile training run on Sunday! I didn't GPS it, but it was somewhere around 13.25 miles and I finished in 2:38. I have to admit that I'm pretty proud of myself given that I just started running last February and up to this point I'd never run farther than 10 miles. I did learn a lot during this one and thought I'd share in case anyone else is in the same boat...

1. A 30/30 run/walk interval works best for me on long runs at this point. I was pretty much able to maintain that for most of the run with just a few extra walk breaks.
2. I run my best between miles 5-10. My per mile pace was almost a whole minute faster during this part of my run than that of the 5K I ran on Saturday!
3. Body glide, body glide, body glide! I cannot use too much of this stuff on long runs -- I had chaffing from my sports bra and shirt sleeves that started around mile 8. Not fun.
4. I need to remember to check the weather forecast BEFORE heading out for a long run. I also need to remember to take my visor/hat if there is even a slight chance of rain (otherwise rain and sweat run into my eyes and blind me...).
5. I do not particularly like to run in the rain. Well, let me clarify. I don't mind running when its sprinkling -- that's actually kind of refreshing. I do not, however, like carrying around 10 pounds of water logged clothing and a small pond in my shoes while running. I found this out when it started to pour around mile 9. And about 3 miles from home...
6. And most importantly, I CAN run a half marathon and not die! I was pretty achy Sunday evening, but that was all pretty much gone by Monday. I feel great today and am even looking forward to the 4 miler on the schedule for tonight

My real test will be in 2 weeks. I will be braving the arctic tundra like conditions of northern Indiana for my 14 mile run. Okay, well maybe "arctic tundra" is a bit of a stretch, but it will certainly seem like one given that I'm used to running in 60-80 degree weather in NC! LOL!
Welcome !!!! Congrats on your training !!!!

Arctic tundra ......I also think anything below 60 degree weather is the "arctic tundra".
Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #457
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

I am signed up with daughter for race. I'm slightly worried about getting swept. I'm right at cut off. Ill just have to do what I can. I'm will be crying if I can't finish lol
Leskash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #458
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Gah... they changed the course. I'm pouting.

From website: Half Marathon Course Description

The course for this race packed with pixie dust will begin on Disneyland Drive where runners will pass under Downtown Disney® on their way into Disney California Adventure® Park. Runners will experience the glitz and glamour of the Park's Hollywood Boulevard, before racing down Route 66 into Cars Land, and winding around the glistening Paradise Bay. The race will continue down the famed Main Street U.S.A. and pass the home of Tinker Bell and her pixie pals, Pixie Hollow, before it makes its way around the Rivers of America. After Disneyland® Park, the race will cut through Downtown Disney® by the Disneyland® Hotel and then it is on to the City of Anaheim. Runners will race through the enchanting, historic neighborhoods of downtown Anaheim, down the Anaheim Center Street Promenade and past Anaheim Ice on their way towards City Hall. Before returning to the Disneyland® Resort runners make their way past the Anaheim GardenWalk, and then it's time for their "Fairy"-tale finish near Disney's Paradise Pier® Hotel.
This is different. It used to go through DL at the start and DCA toward the finish. This as both parks at the beginning. I'm a bit bummed by this as I always loved looking forward to finishing through one of the parks. WDW does this and the early DL halfs did this as well. It does give them more time to clean up and prepare for park opening though.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #459
kirstie101
DIS Veteran

I'm so excited to run through Carsland when its all lit up!!!

Kirsten
kirstie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #460
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie101 View Post
I'm so excited to run through Carsland when its all lit up!!!
It's short, but very memorable. Almost worth stepping to the side and walking through. The neon and rock work really pops in the morning.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #461
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Hello folks! I haven't read through everything on here, but just a quick question!! When did the registration open up for the Tink this year?? I am planning to do Tink in 2014 and I would like a general idea of when to register Thanks!!

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #462
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie
Hello folks! I haven't read through everything on here, but just a quick question!! When did the registration open up for the Tink this year?? I am planning to do Tink in 2014 and I would like a general idea of when to register Thanks!!
I think it was like May or June but in the Spring there will be a place to sign up to receive emails about when the registration will open.
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #463
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Opened June 12 sold out July 12

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #464
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Quote:
Opened June 12 sold out July 12
Thank you so much! I know the DL races sell out quicker, so I want to make sure I jump in on it ASAP See you all in 2014!!

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #465
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
One big tip is to make sure you don't try to do too much mileage in a short period of time or increase your weekly total mileage by a lot, you could get injured that way. If you have your run/walk ratios you could try to push yourself a bit each week if you're close to the cut off time 1 or 2x a week. For example if your ratio is minute/minute try minute and 5/10 sec? That way you can push yourself a bit, but not where it's something crazy you can't keep up with the whole run through and it's like a mini speed workout too. Hope that helps a bit!
This is a super helpful idea -- thank you! We're practically neighbors, btw -- I live on the Peninsula
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: