Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #31
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I think my kids wouldn't be attending, nor would they be socializing with any kid whose family vaguely thought this was appropriate.
Okay, you're going to have to explain the rest a bit. Not attending is fine, but not permitted to socialize with the kids? That doesn't seem a bit extreme?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I think it's pretty self-explanatory. We don't own guns, don't hang out with people who own guns, and any family who thinks a gun-themed party for children is a good idea isn't anyone I'd want my kids near. YMMV.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #33
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Okay, you're going to have to explain the rest a bit. Not attending is fine, but not permitted to socialize with the kids? That doesn't seem a bit extreme?
Maybe he/she has an irrational fear of their child being in a home where there are guns. I am not sure how anyone would know because I know if you walked into my house you would never know the amount of guns my husband owns because they are all safely and securely put away. My kids have no idea where they are or the info they would need to unlock them.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #34
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

I wonder if they offer different themed targets. Like princess, monster, Dora, Ninja Turtle....
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #35
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
I think it's pretty self-explanatory. We don't own guns, don't hang out with people who own guns, and any family who thinks a gun-themed party for children is a good idea isn't anyone I'd want my kids near. YMMV.
But how do you know that any kid your child may be friends with doesn't have a parent with a gun? You know not everyone that owns a gun is looking to be a gansta right? Some people actually use them for sport.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #36
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4

This is a pretty common opinion in the area where I live, close to a major city. I grew up in redneckville, lol, where most of the guys in my high school class were out "sick" the first days of turkey or deer season. Almost everyone I knew grew up around guns. But in a city area, guns are perceived to be associated with gangs and criminals. When the topic occasionally comes up, most coworkers and friends are horrified that I shot a gun at age 6. The only ones who aren't are those who came from a similar background.

I know how to handle guns safely, so I don't perceive them as a threat (unless of course, they were to be used in that manner) or a reflection of whether I should be friends or not with someone.

It really depends completely on your perspective, and everyone is going to be different. This poster wouldn't be friends with me or my family. That's ok. Everyone has a right to determine how to raise their children.

WDW Trips: First trip January 2004! 1/2005, 1/2006, 2/2006, 1/2007, 12/2010, 1/2013
DLR Trips: First trip January 2006! 9/2007, 8/2010, 9/2011, 9/2012, 4/2013, 12/2013, 8/2014

Upcoming:
WDW January 2015 for 4 days for DD2's 3rd birthday
DLR August 2015 for 5 days for DD5's 6th birthday
tiffjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #37
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutter View Post
I wonder if they offer different themed targets. Like princess, monster, Dora, Ninja Turtle....
You forgot Mickey
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #38
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
You forgot Mickey
You're going to get in trouble for that one
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #39
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Ok, so, do you ask people if they own guns before you hang out with them? How exactly do you know if they own guns or not? Are your kids allowed to hang out with kids whose parents are police officers?
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #40
traviesojmt
DIS Veteran

Location: Wherever the USAF sends us, which is currently Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
Ok, so, do you ask people if they own guns before you hang out with them? How exactly do you know if they own guns or not? Are your kids allowed to hang out with kids whose parents are police officers?
Or military? While we actually do not own guns, many of our military friends do own weapons. My DH would actually like to teach our DD how to safely and appropriately handle a gun. Her mom on the other hand (me) is a bit more opposed. I can't imagine refusing to associate with people because they own guns.

Regarding the party, if my DH was attending my one of my children, then I would not be opposed. He is trained in how to fire and handle a weapon. I would not let them attend without him though.
1996 - Day Trip**2000 - All-Star Sports**2001 - POFQ**2005 - Shades of Green/Animal Kingdom Lodge - 12 DAYS YEAH** Aug 2006 - POFQ - 10 Days** Feb 2007 - Pop Century - 10 days**June 18-21, 2007 - Beach Club Resort - 1st trip without the kids.**June 20-July 2, 2008 - SOG**May 26-June 6, 2009 - Beach Club/Contemporary**May 30-June 4, 2010 - POFQ **May 28-June 8, 2011 Coronado Springs**May 29-June 8, 2013 - Beach Club/Animal Kingdom Villas
traviesojmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #41
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
This
Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #42
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
This is a pretty common opinion in the area where I live, close to a major city. I grew up in redneckville, lol, where most of the guys in my high school class were out "sick" the first days of turkey or deer season. Almost everyone I knew grew up around guns. But in a city area, guns are perceived to be associated with gangs and criminals. When the topic occasionally comes up, most coworkers and friends are horrified that I shot a gun at age 6. The only ones who aren't are those who came from a similar background.

I know how to handle guns safely, so I don't perceive them as a threat (unless of course, they were to be used in that manner) or a reflection of whether I should be friends or not with someone.

It really depends completely on your perspective, and everyone is going to be different. This poster wouldn't be friends with me or my family. That's ok. Everyone has a right to determine how to raise their children.

I think a lot of city folks might be shocked to find out just how many OTHER city folks own guns and hunt. A few weeks back my boss had some clients in for a duck hunt. Staying in the same lodge were deer hunters from NYC. One of the guys was complaint of having to haul all his gear 2 miles through Manhattan on foot (shortly after Sandy).
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #43
tiffjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4

I think a lot of city folks might be shocked to find out just how many OTHER city folks own guns and hunt. A few weeks back my boss had some clients in for a duck hunt. Staying in the same lodge were deer hunters from NYC. One of the guys was complaint of having to haul all his gear 2 miles through Manhattan on foot (shortly after Sandy).
Probably. But I live near San Francisco (originally from Upstate NY) and it is a bit... unique in regards to such things.

WDW Trips: First trip January 2004! 1/2005, 1/2006, 2/2006, 1/2007, 12/2010, 1/2013
DLR Trips: First trip January 2006! 9/2007, 8/2010, 9/2011, 9/2012, 4/2013, 12/2013, 8/2014

Upcoming:
WDW January 2015 for 4 days for DD2's 3rd birthday
DLR August 2015 for 5 days for DD5's 6th birthday
tiffjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #44
superme80
DIS Veteran

That would be awesome if my kids were older. I personally am not a big fan of guns, but I am ok with my kids learning gun safety and proper shooting. They can even go hunting when they're older...as long as I don't have to clean anything.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #45
Gumbo4x4

Public Safety Announcement here for those who no only oppose the party, but also oppose having your kids arround the kind of folks who would host such a Statistically speaking, your kids would be the most likely to pick up a gun and play with should they discover one. Regardless of your stance on guns, I recommend the NRA's Eddie The Eagle safety videos. It might be the most important thing they see.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: