Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #31
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianjovigirl View Post
When the furnace people call here.............i dont have a furnace
When the computer repair people call here..........i dont have a furnace
When the lower your interest people call here........i dont have creditcards/loans.............
When the carpet cleaners call here.........i dont have carpet

You get the picture and now i hardly get any calls
Why do the computer repair people care if you have a furnace?

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #32
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher
How they "deserve to be treated?" Wow. Complain to the company, then. THEY deserve your nasty treatment, not the telemarketer who was handed a phone list and told to get to work.

Again ... complain to the company.

And the hourly employee on the other side of the phone knows that you just worked all night ... how?

Telemarketing IS an honest living, most of the time. The people doing it are trying to feed their families just like you.

Again... COMPLAIN TO THE COMPANY. The person on the other end of the phone is just trying to earn a living.

Sadly, I think your post will fall on deaf ears. It is spot on though.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #33
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post

And the hourly employee on the other side of the phone knows that you just worked all night ... how?
Exactly! They don’t know anything about me. I didn’t give them my phone number. So they should not be calling me to sell me things like fake car warranties, time shares, credut card protections (for a credit card I don’t even have), etc.

Quote:

Again... COMPLAIN TO THE COMPANY. The person on the other end of the phone is just trying to earn a living.
Oh, believe me, I DO complain to the company. In writing AND by phone. You know as well as I do, in the slimy world of phone sales, it just doesn’t matter. Plus, WHY should I have to put out any effort in this situation?

Quote:
How they "deserve to be treated?" Wow. Complain to the company, then. THEY deserve your nasty treatment, not the telemarketer who was handed a phone list and told to get to work.
Oh yes. If you call my house to sell me items and you don’t even know me, I will treat you like you deserve to be treated.
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #34
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Worker Sue View Post
Well, you can act like you want to act and I will act like how I want to act

I don't do whistles or toilets, etc. But I am sharp tongued. I will ask you why you are calling my home and I will not be nice to you.

I don't want strangers calling my home trying to sell me their wares. Period.

I don't respect any profession that harasses a stranger in their own home to earn their living. Sorry if that offends you.
Great that you don't respect the profession. Take your anger out on the company, not the human being on the phone.

There've been some great suggestions here - remind them not to call you, don't answer the phone, say "no", just hang up.

But deliberately use one's sharp tongue to berate the human being on the phone earning a living? No. Save that for the company.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #35
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Quote:
Exactly! They don’t know anything about me. I didn’t give them my phone number. So they should not be calling me to sell me things like fake car warranties, time shares, credut card protections (for a credit card I don’t even have), etc.

Oh, believe me, I DO complain to the company. In writing AND by phone. You know as well as I do, in the slimy world of phone sales, it just doesn’t matter. Plus, WHY should I have to put out any effort in this situation?

Oh yes. If you call my house to sell me items and you don’t even know me, I will treat you like you deserve to be treated.
Your phone number is public information.
If you have a business relationship with the company, they're exempt from the DNC list.
If you've changed your phone number, the new number needs to be registered.
If you've moved and kept the same number, you need to reregister.
I think (this is all from memory) if your phone has been shut off for any reason, you need to reregister.
All this information is available when you Google Do Not Call.

I don't know or care what you do for a living, but I hope nobody has such a low opinion of your job - or you for doing it. Why you should put grown-up effort into stopping telemarketing calls to your home is you want them to stop. Yelling at the individual callers isn't going to do that.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #36
Pixie Dust for Me!
Anyone seen tink lately, I'm running a bit low on dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
One time we got a call from a guy selling cemetery plots. My DH listened politely for a few minutes and then said. "I'm sorry. I dont need one. I'm immortal!"
I did this once too...with a slight difference...I informed him that I worshipped Satan and needed to know what accomodations their cemetery provided for me. Yep, he hung up and I never got that call again.

I also had Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking on my door, every day for about a week while I was home on pregnancy related bedrest. After the 4th person came on the 4th day, I infomed him that I was Wiccan and wanted him to come and see my soon-to-be born child's bedroom that has a specially chosen pentagram light fixture, with furniture that I had carefully arranged to form a pentagram along with the red gown I'd chosen to celebrate the Wiccan equivalent of a child's blessing day. He practically ran from the porch and I never saw another Jehovah's Witness at that house again.

As for callers today, I usually let them start with their routine and then I say oh, I'm sorry, I'll be right back....I come back 20+ minutes later and hang up the phone.

Yes, I have caller ID, but I work from my home and get work related calls from numbers I don't always recognize.

KC

We now get to hear "Welcome Home" since we are DVC members!!

Also see my DS at TheDuckStopsHere
Pixie Dust for Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #37
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post

Yelling at the individual callers isn't going to do that.
Where did I say that I yell?

I find it very intrusive when an stranger calls my home to sell me something.

If you are that individual who chose a job that consists of calling me, I will in no uncertain terms let you know why I do not want you to call my home.

I don't think my line of thinking is out of the norm.

Last edited by Social Worker Sue; 12-12-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #38
kaytieeldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust for Me!
As for callers today, I usually let them start with their routine and then I say oh, I'm sorry, I'll be right back....I come back 20+ minutes later and hang up the phone.
Why?? Just say no, tell them to put you on their Do Not Call list, and hang up.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #39
Piper
DIS Veteran

Unfortunately, they must be able to make SOME sales or the calls would stop! I just tell them no and please remove me from their list. If they call again, I ask to speak to a supervisor and repeat.

I don't like the "charity" organizations that ship address labels, stickers, etc to you that you didn't request and then ask for a donation. If they saved all the money they spent on postage and "Junk" that people don't want, they would have a lot more money to put towards their "charity!"
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #40
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post

I don't like the "charity" organizations that ship address labels, stickers, etc to you that you didn't request and then ask for a donation. If they saved all the money they spent on postage and "Junk" that people don't want, they would have a lot more money to put towards their "charity!"
They are the WORST! Here is an interesting fact about one particular "charity" telemarketing company that wants you to mail donation requests to your neighbors:

"InfoCision also kept 78 percent of the donation money that it collected last year in its nationwide neighbor-to-neighbor program on behalf of the American Diabetes Association."

Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #41
kaytieeldr

Quote:
Where did I say that I yell?

I find it very intrusive when an stranger calls my home to sell me something.

If you are that individual who chose a job that consists of calling me, I will in no uncertain terms let you know why I do not want you to call my home.

I don't think my line of thinking is out of the norm.
Well, based on the people I know - if 'you' are the individual who "chose" that job instead of being/remaining on unemployment, 'you' are still a human being. It doesn't matter why the person being called doesn't want to be called. It just matters that you don't want to be called - and that takes takes eight words: "Put me on your Do Not Call list." Nine words if you want to be polite and say goodbye.

Let your frustration out on something else.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #42
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Well, based on the people I know - if 'you' are the individual who "chose" that job instead of being/remaining on unemployment, 'you' are still a human being. It doesn't matter why the person being called doesn't want to be called. It just matters that you don't want to be called - and that takes takes eight words: "Put me on your Do Not Call list." Nine words if you want to be polite and say goodbye.

Let your frustration out on something else.
Um, why would I do that? I will let my frustrations out on the person that is frustrating me by being rude and intrusive by calling my home to sell me something.

I know you think you are right in this situation, but you will not change my mind or how I react to a stranger that takes it upon themselves to bother me in my own home.

If you want to be treated with respect by me, do not work for a company that calls my home. I don't enjoy that and I will tell you as much. And if you choose to work for a company that promotes bothering strangers, be prepared to be treated as a purposefully bothersome, intrusive, annoying person should be treated.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #43
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Loved these two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee View Post
I had a lot of fun with those selling windows. I asked a bunch of ridiculous questions, including... "Once my new windows have been installed, what type of view will I have?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimnoid View Post
One time we got a call from a guy selling cemetery plots. My DH listened politely for a few minutes and then said. "I'm sorry. I dont need one. I'm immortal!"
I've done different things depending on my mood.

I've done the polite, "No thanks."
I've done the "pick up the phone and hang up right away".
I've let the machine pick it up.

I've also done:
Telemarketer: "Hi! With our credit card you can get an introductory interest rate of 5%"
Me: "Wow! 5%! That's great! I'd love to get 5% interest!"
TM: "Yes! And that's not all! After 6 months the rate only increases to 8.5%"
Me: "8.5%? That's awesome! Think how much money I'll make!"
TM: "That's right! And after 12 months the rate will be fixed at 14%!"
Me: "Do I have to wait the 12 months to get the 14%?"
TM: "Umm... Yes. But you get 5% for the first 6 months and 8.5% for the next 6 months."
Me: "Yeah, I know. But can't I get the 14% right away? Let's see if I put $10,000 on the card I would make $1,400 right?"
TM: "Ummm... No, it's better to start with the lower interest rate."
Me: "No, if I'm only making 5% on my $10,000 that's only $250 after 6 months. I'd rather make more. Hey! Can I put more than $10,000 on it? I'd love you to pay me even more."
TM: "Pay you more?"
Me: "Yeah! You said you'd give me 5% then 8.5% and then 14% interest. But I want the 14% interest right away."
TM: "Oh... <click>"
Me: "Hello?...."

I've also interrupted a young sounding woman in the middle of her spiel with:

"Excuse me, is the only reason you're calling to sell me something, 'cause I'm really not interested but if you'd like to talk about something else I'm okay with that."
We then had a nice conversation about the cities we live in and friends and family we have living in each other's city.
She said I made her day.

So it's not all bad.

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #44
kaytieeldr

Quote:
Um, why would I do that? I will let my frustrations out on the person that is frustrating me by being rude and intrusive by calling my home to sell me something.

I know you think you are right in this situation, but you will not change my mind or how I react to a stranger that takes it upon themselves to bother me in my own home.

If you want to be treated with respect by me, do not work for a company that calls my home. I don't enjoy that and I will tell you as much. And if you choose to work for a company that promotes bothering strangers, be prepared to be treated as a purposefully bothersome, intrusive, annoying person should be treated.
Then just don't answer the phone. These people are WORKING (sorry to shout, but it doesn't seem to be clear). They're employed. They're earning a living. They're not on unemployment or welfare. Again, that human being doesn't care why you don't want to be called. The employer cares THAT you don't want to be called.

Or hang up.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #45
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
These people are WORKING (sorry to shout, but it doesn't seem to be clear).
Oh. It’s very clear. I don’t think it is clear to you that I am against the part of their job that involves ME. I don’t want to be a part of THEIR job. Shrug. If they want to call my home and make ME a part of their employment, I will handle it in a way that makes them know I do not want to be a part of their job.

Quote:
”Then just don't answer the phone” “Or hang up.”
Shrug. That is how you handle it. Good for you!

I handle it in a different manner. Thank you for you suggestions, though

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: