Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #121
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I think it either has stay the way it is or the restaurants pay their staff appropriately and tipping goes by the wayside. If it's the latter, prices will certainly be increased to compensate for the higher payroll and increased employer taxes.

As for salary, I can see it two ways: Straight salary for hours worked or a base salary with commissions/incentive for higher sales, efficient table turning, etc. This would be between the employee & employer - the customers are taken out of the equation as they won't be expected to leave tips.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #122
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluvsdisney View Post
I think it either has stay the way it is or the restaurants pay their staff appropriately and tipping goes by the wayside. If it's the latter, prices will certainly be increased to compensate for the higher payroll and increased employer taxes.

As for salary, I can see it two ways: Straight salary for hours worked or a base salary with commissions/incentive for higher sales, efficient table turning, etc. This would be between the employee & employer - the customers are taken out of the equation as they won't be expected to leave tips.

Tipping won't go by the wayside, it would just change the reason why people tip. In all these threads we are told you have to tip because the server's wages are dependent on tips. That is not why tipping started, tipping is suppose to be a reward not pay.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #123
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluvsdisney

It surely is possible, that is exactly how it works in France. And their restaurants are pretty good!!! People will simply leave a few coins unless service was exceptional. And waiters are paid accordingly. So don't tip 20% at Disneyland Paris!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #124
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Tipping won't go by the wayside, it would just change the reason why people tip. In all these threads we are told you have to tip because the server's wages are dependent on tips. That is not why tipping started, tipping is suppose to be a reward not pay.
Do people go around tipping employees at other establishments for a job well done? The dry cleaner, the drug store, the supermarket? I have to admit, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw2012 View Post
It surely is possible, that is exactly how it works in France. And their restaurants are pretty good!!! People will simply leave a few coins unless service was exceptional. And waiters are paid accordingly. So don't tip 20% at Disneyland Paris!
I believe it's possible it's just a very different than the way things work now. There might be some growing pains but I know it works this way in other places and it's just fine.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #125
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad

That's the way it started, yes. It's not the way it is now.

If servers were paid a straight hourly wage they would have no reason to upsell. Restaurants are all about the upsell. From apps, to desserts, from shakes to call liquor it's all about getting the check higher. It benefits the sales of the restaurant and the tip for the server.
Servers first job is as a salesperson. I don't know of a single person in sales that doesn't want to boost their sales. Their commission is the incentive for them, tips are servers commission.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #126
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post

If servers were paid a straight hourly wage they would have no reason to upsell. Restaurants are all about the upsell. From apps, to desserts, from shakes to call liquor it's all about getting the check higher. It benefits the sales of the restaurant and the tip for the server.
Servers first job is as a salesperson. I don't know of a single person in sales that doesn't want to boost their sales. Their commission is the incentive for them, tips are servers commission.
That's an interesting way to look at it. BUT, when you buy something from a sales guy, the commission is included in the price. You don't buy a car and when it's time to write the check they say "ok, that will be another 18% for commission". Restaurants could offer bonuses for number of tables, amount of "sales", whatever.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #127
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
Do people go around tipping employees at other establishments for a job well done? The dry cleaner, the drug store, the supermarket? I have to admit, I don't.

I don't know of anyone who tips at those places but everyone I know tips at restaurants and they aren't tipping because they are making up the difference in a server's wage. They are tipping because of the service.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #128
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I believe it's possible it's just a very different than the way things work now. There might be some growing pains but I know it works this way in other places and it's just fine.
Housekeeping at hotels (Mousekeeping)? The hair stylist? Doormen just for opening the door? Bathroom attendant? Taxi? The guy loading and unloading your baggage from the airport to a Disney resort? Lowes appliance delivery? (not allowed to accept tips, BTW.) Roofer? DirecTV installer? Is this your first time reading the community board here?
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #129
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post

It is the way it is in most of Canada and many other parts of the world. The US is the only place I know that uses a system like this. Servers here still upsell and because people base their tip on the amount of the bill, the tip is higher if they upsell.

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #130
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't know of anyone who tips at those places but everyone I know tips at restaurants and they aren't tipping because they are making up the difference in a server's wage. They are tipping because of the service.
No, they're tipping because it's EXPECTED. Look at the OP... what kind of service did they get? Yet people still felt a tip is necessary.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #131
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
No, they're tipping because it's EXPECTED. Look at the OP... what kind of service did they get? Yet people still felt a tip is necessary.

I agree with you, I don't think the OP should have tipped at all but that doesn't fit with the argument people make that you have to tip in order for the server to get paid.

Here we tip based on the service received not because we are paying the owner's employees.

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #132
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
I agree with you, I don't think the OP should have tipped at all but that doesn't fit with the argument people make that you have to tip in order for the server to get paid.

Here we tip based on the service received not because we are paying the owner's employees.
The original poster got two rounds of drinks an an appetizer. Yes, I'm aware one of the drinks was wrong but she drank it.

Despite the entrée order being lost, in the same conditions I would have tipped - for two rounds of drinks and the appetizers.

That's the service I got.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #133
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
The original poster got two rounds of drinks an an appetizer. Yes, I'm aware one of the drinks was wrong but she drank it.

Despite the entrée order being lost, in the same conditions I would have tipped - for two rounds of drinks and the appetizers.

That's the service I got.

In this case, the OP overall experience was terrible. If you want to break down your service by each individual part of your meal and tip on each part, go for it. Personally I decide the tip based on the overall experience in the restaurant.

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #134
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
In this case, the OP overall experience was terrible. If you want to break down your service by each individual part of your meal and tip on each part, go for it. Personally I decide the tip based on the overall experience in the restaurant.
That's you. You live in Canada where servers earn an hourly wage comparable to similar positions.

In forty states in this country, the legal hourly wage for servers is 1/3 or less the minimum wage (which is still, nationally, almost 25% lower, apparently than Canada's).

I don't agree the original poster's service was terrible. It was mediocre/average. Certainly not outstanding, excellent, great, even good. But it's customary here to tip based on the check. Her check was $33 - they ordered, received, and consumed $33 of food and beverage. In her position, I would have calculated my tip on that amount.

I don't think she's wrong to have tipped $2. I think tipping nothing would have been wrong.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #135
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
That's you. You live in Canada where servers earn an hourly wage comparable to similar positions.

In forty states in this country, the legal hourly wage for servers is 1/3 or less the minimum wage (which is still, nationally, almost 25% lower, apparently than Canada's).

I don't agree the original poster's service was terrible. It was mediocre/average. Certainly not outstanding, excellent, great, even good. But it's customary here to tip based on the check. Her check was $33 - they ordered, received, and consumed $33 of food and beverage. In her position, I would have calculated my tip on that amount.

I don't think she's wrong to have tipped $2. I think tipping nothing would have been wrong.
AVERAGE service? Come on Kaytiee, in what world is average service not only not getting your meal but having to tell the waiter you haven't gotten your meal?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: