Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #31
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Apparently there's more than one memorable line from Forrest Gump!
?? I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
yep, including "well you aint got no legs (much less feet) lt dan"
So how do you get to the foodcourt faster? Run Forrest! Run!
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #32
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
So how do you get to the foodcourt faster? Run Forrest! Run!
Nice, and pertains.

A good one for WDW:

When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go, you know, I went.
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #33
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

I'm one of those ppl that if I go to a park I know im going to walk its totally expected. But when I choose a resort I choose it to relax after a long day of being at a park with billion ppl and 2 small kids. I sorry that's my choice some ppl don't care about the size of a resort and how far it is to the pool or food court. Some ppl want to leave the walking to the parks. Others don't mind it. Doesn't make anyone more right than some one else. I loved the decor of POR I picked the resort for my daughter. She could have cared less about the RR. I learned my lesson lol! Next time deluxe and a smaller resort thank you. Ppl shouldn't be put down for an opinion. And looking at a map sometimes can be misleading. You say to yourself it can "really" be that far. Lol than you get there yup, it is really that far lol

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
Old 12-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #34
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamkat1820 View Post
I'm one of those ppl that if I go to a park I know im going to walk its totally expected. But when I choose a resort I choose it to relax after a long day of being at a park with billion ppl and 2 small kids. I sorry that's my choice some ppl don't care about the size of a resort and how far it is to the pool or food court. Some ppl want to leave the walking to the parks. Others don't mind it. Doesn't make anyone more right than some one else. I loved the decor of POR I picked the resort for my daughter. She could have cared less about the RR. I learned my lesson lol! Next time deluxe and a smaller resort thank you. Ppl shouldn't be put down for an opinion. And looking at a map sometimes can be misleading. You say to yourself it can "really" be that far. Lol than you get there yup, it is really that far lol
Is .25 a mile excessive walking? It's not at any of the resorts people can get out of walking entirely.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

C'mon, guys, whether walking distance is excessive is entirely objective. A walk of a mile is nothing to someone who trains for marathons, and 500 feet can be difficult for someone who is elderly or ill or in pain from, ya know, walking five miles in a theme park all day.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #36
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

As I said in PP I am a runner, but the walk "got to" me. If you wanted to refill your mug, it was a hike *just* to do that. We had a mobility impaired senior (with an ECV) so that magnified our issues (the ECV is still VERY new to her and she stresses over driving it). In the heat, it was a long hike in the sun to and from the bus stop/food court (we were in LM standard rooms). And contrary to other posts, I am NOT a deluxe snob--I have stayed in each of the values (except new AoA) multiple times and all the moderates mulitple times. YES, the hike from the remote places of CBR is much worse, but when you are used to the relatively compact other value resorts, this was a chore.

I went as a traveling companion to the senior lady; in hindsight the person booking the trip should have looked at the resort and considered the distance--it never even occurred to me to do so. If they offered preferred regular rooms, we would have gone that route.

While I don't expect WDW to ever do it, drink stations in each section would be most welcome especially during hot weather. (Yes, we brought cases of drinks, but dang it! I wanted my WDW cherry coke!)

I am a Hard Core Foodie and I was very enthusiastic about the food court choices, but the food sounded much better than it really was and the NOISE level was horrible. The bus-your-own-table experience with real silverware and sorting garbage and recycles into way, way too tiny slots just left me with a bad taste.

In short, if you are considering the resort, I think you should try it! But if long walks and loud food courts are decision makers/breakers for you and your party, you MAY want to consider other options.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #37
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Is .25 a mile excessive walking? It's not at any of the resorts people can get out of walking entirely.
To these people yes. The future is coming!

Disclaimer: I'm talking about the able bodied who complain about walking, not the old, sick and handicapped.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #38
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86

I'm not saying it excessive all I'm saying is "I" prefer a smaller resort. And relax at a resort that I choose to stay in. Some ppl prefer it that way too. I travel with my 82 yr old grandmother we need to plan around her and will do so until she can no longer travel. I like to explore the whole resort and all it has to offer. That's what I'm paying for. Not every one is an athlete if u are that is great. The only time I run is if a clown is chasing me with a knife. Lol

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #39
Mickey'sApprentice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
Nice, and pertains.

A good one for WDW:

When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go, you know, I went.
I love the uplifting Forrest Gump turn that this thread has taken. I'm not too crazy about the judgemental WALL-E references.

I admit that I LOOK a lot like the people on the WALL-E scooters. BUT, I go to Disney and I WALK until I can't then I park myself on a bench until I can go again. Its that simple.

On my last trip, I had a medical reason to have a scooter. Something really interesting happened. For one of the rides, a cast member said...you will need to get off your scooter, walk over here and then over there...etc. So then, they saw my husband take my hand and help me off the scooter, and then saw that I put my arms around his shoulders so that he could help me. i.e., I had a real problem. Suddenly, the obstacle course became much shorter. With that said, had I been riding just because its hard for me to walk all day every day, then the few extra steps wouldn't have been a big deal.

I sometimes wish Disney had 3 lines, 1 for the handicapped, 1 for the able bodied, and 1 for people who aren't normally handicapped but can't walk 10 miles a day without a problem. I guess that is what all the benches are for.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #40
luvthemouse71

Those with a medical issue need the scooters. I don't think anyone is contesting that. But, any able bodied person( and being fat doesn't count as not being able bodied) will benefit in the long run from walking. If the amount of walking at WDW is too much- then I would be rethinking my vacation destination.

I say this as someone who used to wear a size 16. The trip where I came back with swollen ankles and a PF flareup was my wake up call to start eating better and exercising.

I for one think it's a good thing that the drink stations are kind of far away. All that sugary soda doesn't help either.

I'll be at AoA On Friday..can't wait!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #41
Mickey'sApprentice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71 View Post
Those with a medical issue need the scooters. I don't think anyone is contesting that. But, any able bodied person( and being fat doesn't count as not being able bodied) will benefit in the long run from walking. If the amount of walking at WDW is too much- then I would be rethinking my vacation destination.

I say this as someone who used to wear a size 16. The trip where I came back with swollen ankles and a PF flareup was my wake up call to start eating better and exercising.

I for one think it's a good thing that the drink stations are kind of far away. All that sugary soda doesn't help either.

I'll be at AoA On Friday..can't wait!

Perhaps I didn't make my self clear. I am fat and I always walk. I had a scooter because I cracked my ribs.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #42
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

We're not getting into the old 'when is it ok to use scooters' debate. This thread is closed.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #43
luvthemouse71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
Perhaps I didn't make my self clear. I am fat and I always walk. I had a scooter because I cracked my ribs.
I understood what you meant, which is why I stated that those with a medical reason need the scooters. At that point in time, you needed it. Cracked ribs certainly are no joke.( been there, done that, it sucked)

I also saw that you always walk. My post wasn't directed specifically at you. More at the idea that walking is torture.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: