Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Lovely review! Thank you for sharing!

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
AdelineandSidney
Earning My Ears

Dining room photos?

Do you have any photos of the whole dining area rather than just a narrow view of 1 table?
AdelineandSidney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

I really enjoyed reading your review, and a big thank you for posting it so promptly for all of us eager readers. I was wondering if you had any more photos of the interior? I'm trying to get a better sense of how the decor was changed from BdP. Any photos or description would be so gratefully appreciated!
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM | 2015 DL: D23 Expo
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Building on the points....

One of the liberating dimensions to blog-writing (discussion thread commentary) that I really appreciate is that there is the opportunity to just post the basics (like I did last night), and then continue to develop the report - or even go back and modify the original posting to include the new information where it can be more useful to the first time reader. So, having posted all the pictures immediately following the meal - at the request of some Dis-Foodie-Friendies in a FB group who have reservations for later this week - I also thought of several additional points while sleeping!

===================================

Children - One of those points that occurred to me this morning was the lack of young children in the restaurant - and that led me to realize that there was no children's menu contained in the menu I received. I do not know if there was a separate childrens menu. The only family I noticed had two children around the age of 10 - and it looked like the entire family ordered the filet (served butterflied - which usually means they ordered it well done - which usually means .... but not always, of course). I did not notice if the kid's portion was adjusted for age or not. I did not see any high chairs available for use - but it is possible they were stored out of sight (or shared, downstairs at CdF). I would say this is a new arena for discovery - meaning those who need to know should probably find out while still in the vacation planning stages.

Of course, who knows how MP will adapt over time to the demands of the customer base. It is a tricky business to have tourists (more specifically, tourist families) be a large percentage of your clientele.

===============================

Dress Code - there basically isn't one. Yeah!!! I know there are advocates for a dress code commensurate with menu prices, but I am not really one of them - for this restaurant. I appreciate that when the restaurant opened in the 80's that people still dressed for dinner, but a few things occur to me:

1. It is not practical for a restaurant embedded in a theme park - think about having to wear a suit (dress coat, or even "business casual") and having to walk probably a mile (from parking lot) in the 8-months-a-year oppressive Florida heat (sweating through, most likely) wearing dress shoes (ouch) - who wants to do that? How many are actually going to do that? Practically speaking, the logical, largest customer base will the ones who are there for the park. Add rain to the heat, and you have quite "the look" when you arrive at the door.

2. This 2012 - times have changed - I've lived through some of the most amusing sartorial debates of the 20th century (my favorite = leisure suits vs designer jeans - which would God find more offensive in church?; c. 1980). I have a closet full of industry-and-era appropriate work garb (Wall St banker suits, law office suits, manufacturing, health care, and on and on) and could not be happier that today, most days, I wear jeans - except, of course, when I work from home - two computers going, headset conference calls, snow swirling outside - then I can even wear PAJAMAS to work. Do I miss the dress up days - wearing a seersucker suit, pressed body-part-to-body-part in an un-air-conditioned NYC subway in August, soaking through in minutes? Never. Nor any variation, thereof.

3. When there are rules, and I am aware of them, I follow them - interestingly enough, the single most consistent question / comment from readers that I get on Victoria and Albert is about the dress code - nobody wants the bother of having to pack dress clothes for a single meal, especially in these days of baggage charges when most of us are trying to fit everything into a carry-on. We OWN jackets, but we never pack them (for reasons noted above) - we just borrow them once we are there. That said, we are facing the same dilemma for Remy's next month, and they don't have jackets to borrow. (Mom, I haven't worn a jacket in years and I've moved 5 times since then; I have no idea where it is..... yada yada).

4. All of that said, not knowing what to expect, I wore theme park clothes for 80 degrees and 100% humidity, and brought a change (white linen pants, black top, black sandals) in one of those backpack-string-thingies (if they have an official name, please educate me). I checked in, scooted to the ladies room (upstairs, another "yeah"), and did my quick change. I appreciated having slacks in air conditioning, but it was not required, and probably not worth the effort (in hindsight).

Last edited by ehagerty; 02-26-2013 at 08:19 PM.
ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKittyMarie View Post
I really enjoyed reading your review, and a big thank you for posting it so promptly for all of us eager readers. I was wondering if you had any more photos of the interior? I'm trying to get a better sense of how the decor was changed from BdP. Any photos or description would be so gratefully appreciated!
I do have only one other shot of the interior, taken with available light, therefore, a little pixelated (blurry).

I did not take too many pictures, because:
1. I was trying to be relatively unobtrusive and not overly-flash-happy, since I actually had a request (one time only) from another patron (different restaurant, this year) to stop taking pictures - and I didn't want to risk being cut off from taking the food pictures.
2. There is not that much different in the dining room (can't speak for the kitchen) - it is still the same space, layout, windows - yes, the colors, fixtures are different, but I found the changes relatively subtle, compared to what a "complete rehab" can sometimes mean.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #21
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy 2 B Me View Post
Your food reviews are a delight to read. I so enjoyed the food primer for us less then foodies. please never stop reviewing the wondrful restaurnts you select for your dining adventures. Once again You are pure delight when posting your experiences.

Thank You
Patty
Patty - you are too kind - but to you and all the commenters, thanks. There is a fair amount of effort that goes into posting and sometimes it can be discouraging to realize that, with number of posters on the DIS these days, that a post like this can be on page 3 within hours, and lost from view!!!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
I do have only one other shot of the interior, taken with available light, therefore, a little pixelated (blurry).

I did not take too many pictures, because:
1. I was trying to be relatively unobtrusive and not overly-flash-happy, since I actually had a request (one time only) from another patron (different restaurant, this year) to stop taking pictures - and I didn't want to risk being cut off from taking the food pictures.
2. There is not that much different in the dining room (can't speak for the kitchen) - it is still the same space, layout, windows - yes, the colors, fixtures are different, but I found the changes relatively subtle, compared to what a "complete rehab" can sometimes mean.

Thank you very much for this additional information! I totally understand wanting to be unobtrusive, and especially in a quieter restaurant where obnoxiously taking photos would be quite noticeable. Nevertheless, the one photo and your thoughts on it being a subtler renovation helps a lot!
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM | 2015 DL: D23 Expo
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #23
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Another thought ...

It occurred to me that some context might be in order....

I do not consider myself a foodie, per se (no pun intended; I wish); more specifically, I do not consider myself qualified to be a foodie. I like to cook, I like to eat, I like Disney, I worked as a waitress in fine dining for a couple of years (back in the day), and I read a lot - hence, over the course of 20 years, I have some perspective on what I like to eat, when at Disney. I also like to take pictures (worth a thousand words, easily). Toward that end, I hope everyone finds these posts useful.

I am noting this caveat, because I realize there is a ton of creative, culinary work being done that I am NOT actively scheduling, experiencing, or reporting on beyond the Disney borders. (E.g, Grant Achatz interview on youtube - Nov 27, 2012 - thanks to DIS FB poster - very interesting). I'm OK with that - there are only so many hours and dollars - but I have this inclination to acknowledge the considerable limits of my capabilities in this regard.

On the other hand, ask me anything about karate or managing global IT projects and I feel pretty confident that I am an expert....

Last edited by ehagerty; 12-27-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #24
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Yet another thought ...

... while I was reflecting on the experience, while falling asleep

MP is kind of unique in that it is the only "fine dining" restaurant that has to use "kids" from the exchange program to serve the customers. Most of the signature restaurants have a permanent staff of long term servers (Jack and Sherry at VnA, Izzie at AP, several good ones at CG) who come up through the Disney ranks, earning those positions over time. But, World Showcase, by design, brings in the equivalent of exchange students for these positions.

This is not much of an issue at Le Cellier, because it is basically a steakhouse (with good steaks - not taking anything away from its busines model), and service expectations for a steakhouse can be relatively easily met. ("I speak English, it's protein." I'm simplifying, for entertainment value.)

But to take young adults, with limited service experience, limited cuisine training, different primary langauge - train them to be skilled representatives of the establishment in short order - only to have to turn over that investment every 9-12-18 months - that would be a huge challenge for me. More accurately, it WAS a challenge for me, because, back in those restaurant days mentioned in the post directly above, I would be asked to train the new hires....

That said, the very steady, very experienced management team is always circulating on the floor to assist in making your dining experience what it needs to be.

p.s. I suppose it could be true at Tutto, but I have not eaten there lately.

Last edited by ehagerty; 01-04-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

I am really enjoying reading your posts and am really excited about trying MP this Friday night.

P.S. - I have been at Remy on both the Dream and the Fantasy and recall men's jackets hanging behind the hostess stand. Did they change this? I hope not. It was very convenient for my DH who will bypass fine dining if he has to pack a jacket.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #26
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKittyMarie View Post
Thank you very much for this additional information! I totally understand wanting to be unobtrusive, and especially in a quieter restaurant where obnoxiously taking photos would be quite noticeable. Nevertheless, the one photo and your thoughts on it being a subtler renovation helps a lot!
I suspect the interior is not entirely complete (in looking at BnP pictures, such near-term enhancements could include such things as curtains, wall hangings, table lamps) - but, not knowing what the final design is intended to be, I appreciated what was there and will consider anything new that shows up a bonus!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #27
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthasor View Post
I am really enjoying reading your posts and am really excited about trying MP this Friday night.

P.S. - I have been at Remy on both the Dream and the Fantasy and recall men's jackets hanging behind the hostess stand. Did they change this? I hope not. It was very convenient for my DH who will bypass fine dining if he has to pack a jacket.
Enjoy your meal Friday. Introduce yourself to the managers early in the meal - let them know any expectations you have (even if your only expectation is an opened-ended "great meal"), so that they can assist in making sure they are met, while operations are still being worked out - besides, they are very nice, and enjoy the social engagement part as much as we do!

Thanks for the tip about Remy's jacket-to-borrow - the DCL reservation agent said there was no room to store jackets for this purpose (last March) - maybe they changed (adapted to customer need), maybe it was always the case and she did not know. Based on this, we will probably not pack. I'll need 3 - did they have more than one or two?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
Quin
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for the pictures and for your initial impressions. If you can post some shots of that menu that happened to come back to the room with you, it would be wonderful too..........our ADRs were made for our May trip a few weeks ago, and actual menu shots would help me decide whether to try to talk DH into dropping one of our current dinners for this one instead.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #29
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Thanx for the pix of the dining area - glad to see things haven't changed much!

We always loved the coziness of BdP and it seems that it still retains the charm for "mature diners". I was a bit leary about what might happen when they closed for reno to try and be more "family friendly". Then again, the menu and prices may still keep them away in spite of their attempts to woo them, lol!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #30
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your review & pics! If you are able to post menu pictures at a later date, I would love to see them.

I had been to BdP for kid free date nights in previous years. I'll have to if we can manage another one next trip, at MP. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: