Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
CSchex
Mouseketeer

Royal Guest Rooms - Standard View or Garden View

We are staying at the POR in January. Contemplating upgrading from a standard view to a garden view. Both are the Royal Guest rooms. Is the view that much better? We will be spending some time at the hotel this trip..

Thanks, everyone!
CSchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

IMHO, paying extra for a veiw at a moderate is not worth the money. Since you don't have a balcony from which to enjoy the view, it just doesn't justify the extra cost. I guess you could put a chair or two outside on the public walkway, but you will have other guests walking by in front of you as they travel to/from their rooms.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I also have a standard view reserved. I won't pay the extra for views in a moderate or value resort.

Sometimes you get upgraded just for the heck of it and you could hope for that. (We checked into All Star Sports in August and were given a preferred room instead of the standard we reserved).
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

At POR, Standard will get you parking lot views and some of the farther rooms. Garden will give you a view of grassy areas, courtyards, or fountains and may be a tad closer to bridges to the main areas.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

POR veiws

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchex View Post
We are staying at the POR in January. Contemplating upgrading from a standard view to a garden view. Both are the Royal Guest rooms. Is the view that much better? We will be spending some time at the hotel this trip..

Thanks, everyone!
Because i will not be spending alot of time at the resort i have decided that paying extra isn't worth it. However if you will spending time at the hotel then perhaps the extra may be worth it. Have a magical trip and Merry Chirstmas and a have bright new year
2012 WDW Riverside Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest Room. Disney cruiseline The Fantasy. 2007 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise pier hotel. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French quater. 2002 WDW@ Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Cruiseline The Wonder. 2000 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. Disneyland 1999 1998,1996 2013 WDW Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest A proud Disney stock holder. A fan for life of the Seattle Mariners and the Seattle Seahawks 2014 superbowl champions
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

I just had a garden view RGR. I thought it was worth the upgrade. I overlooked the fountain in the center of Oak Manor, and could peek at the river if I wanted to. I don't want to look at cars and a parking lot, I see that enough in my real life.

We do spend time at the resort though, and walked the grounds quite a bit. I liked that it felt away from everything because I never saw a parking lot.

If you are a commando tourer or a dawn to dark park-goer, I can see how it isn't worth it, but for me, it definitely was.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Just as I ride buses at Disney (as I do in real life), I don't mind a parking lot "view" in a Mod. All I need to do is walk a short distance away, and the parking lot's gone. That's why I booked a standard RR.

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
CSchex
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

Thanks everybody!
CSchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Patrickprincess
HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

por garden veiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchex View Post
Thanks everybody!
After much thinking it over i have decided to get a garden veiw. I also have the royal guest room and was wondering where they ate located could some one please tell me where they are located? Thanks
2012 WDW Riverside Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest Room. Disney cruiseline The Fantasy. 2007 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. 2006 Disneyland @ The Paradise pier hotel. 2004 WDW @ Port Orleans French quater. 2002 WDW@ Port Orleans Riverside/Disney Cruiseline The Wonder. 2000 Disneyland @The Disneyland Hotel. Disneyland 1999 1998,1996 2013 WDW Port Orleans Riverside Royal Guest A proud Disney stock holder. A fan for life of the Seattle Mariners and the Seattle Seahawks 2014 superbowl champions
Patrickprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickprincess View Post
After much thinking it over i have decided to get a garden veiw. I also have the royal guest room and was wondering where they ate located could some one please tell me where they are located? Thanks
On the first page of the POR thread, you will see a map with a location of the RR buildings. When you click on the building, it will show you which rooms have which view.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrich View Post
IMHO, paying extra for a veiw at a moderate is not worth the money. Since you don't have a balcony from which to enjoy the view, it just doesn't justify the extra cost. I guess you could put a chair or two outside on the public walkway, but you will have other guests walking by in front of you as they travel to/from their rooms.
It is not so much the "stock" answer that you often give about the view. You have to think outside of the box.

In the moderates, such as POR that now have Royal Rooms - it is very similar to CBR and the pirate rooms - it is all about the physical location of the room. They have converted some of the most remotely located rooms to themed rooms to entice people to book them and fill them.

Standard views, especially in Parterre Place, are some of the most remote rooms on-site. While they are quiet and close to the outer loop bus stop and parking, many people will not realize they are far from the food court and main building.

The garden view would put them that much closer to the walkways leading to the front of the main building, and then the food court.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
shenaniganzz
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't pay to upgrade. Essentially we got an upgrade last time. We paid for a RR Standard and while we were near the parking lot, our window looked out into the "courtyard"/gardens. It wouldn't have mattered though, I can tell you we didn't spend any time "appreciating" the view. We had full days at the resort too but still very little time was spent in the room.
shenaniganzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
MARY-IN-OH
DIS Veteran

Plus, does anyone feel a little odd with the curtains open in their mod/value? Maybe it's just me, but you kind of see more of the people walking by than you do "the view". And, I feel like my room needs to be super tidy and everyone better be done with showers and dressed when the curtains are open, LOL, cuzz everyone can see everything in your room!

You mostly see the walkway in front of your windows, unless you actually walk over to the windows and look out of them. When I do that, I get sidetracked waving at passersby and kind of forget about the view.

I have walked out of my room and around the walkway near the room to check out the view from time to time in the morning or evening.

well, just my 2 cents

My DH will be in a royal room on the 5th, can't wait!
mary
Dec 98 ASMu- - March 04 Pop- - Dec 06 OKW/Pop- -Sept 07 POFQ- - Oct 07 ASMo - - May 08 Pop/OKW - - Jan09 SSR- -Sept 09 BWV- -Dec 09 ASMo/OKW - -June 10 Pop/BCV- -Sept 10 AKV Kidani - -MAY 20, 2011 SSR/AKV JAMBO - - SEPT 9, 2011 - CBR & BWV STD VIEW 2 NTS BCV 1BR, and 4 NTS BWV 1BR STD SEPT 16 to 22nd 2012 Feb 5-12, 2013 - 2 nts POR royal room & 5 nights SSR- - Sept 7-8, 2 nts CBR and Sept 9-14, 5 nts at BWV Std view- - - Upcoming: DEC 10 - 17, 2013 SPLIT STAY OKW/SSR w/DH
MARY-IN-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Have to agree with Missytara. I wouldn't pay the upcharge for a view. But I will pay an upcharge to put me closer to the bridges. That usualy means ponying up the extra $$ for riverview. Or preferred, if you don't mind an AB room.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

I wouldn't pay for a water or river view, but I will pay not to look at a parking lot. We had a garden view room on our last trip to POR. For me, it was worth the $10/night to be surrounded by the lush landscaping every time we walked out of our room.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club Upcoming Trips: Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: