Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #31
HMANSION LOVER
PIN TRADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene1974 View Post
First...this is by no means to be disrespectful or to get anyone else. So, please don't think I'm trying to start drama, because I am so not doing that.

Second...for the families that bring very young babies, why do you bring a baby with you to DLR or pick your vacation as DLR?

When we were there in October, we were standing in line and the family behind us was just the husband, wife, and their 3 month old daughter. The baby was not too happy, she was crying and each of them took turns leaving the line to take care of her. Cute baby, but she just didn't seem too happy to be there, she was just crying her little lungs out and tears coming down her eyes.

So, that's why I ask...what is the reason that families (more or less those with no other children) bring a baby to the parks?

Granted, I have no kids, just a dog (can't have kids), but watching this family and others, how much fun are you able to have if you have to keep tending to a baby who really has no clue what is going on around them?

Again...not flaming or being disrespectful. I truly want to know what the logic is behind families bringing pretty much a newborn to DLR? To me, it would make more sense around 4-5, when kids can remember the trip, not as a newborn.

I hope this makes sense. It's just something I've been wondering about ever since seeing that family.

Thanks!
Charlene
Many years ago, I was a Bond Trader. Long story short had an excellent year and the owner of the company knew DW and I were WDW fanatics. As a Christmas Bonus he gave me an all expenes paid trip to WDW. Airfare, Stay at WL and meal plan as well as the time off there, 10 days, paid. At the time my DS was 5 and DD was 11 months old. Tell me you would say no and take a chance of insulting your boss. We packed the bags the stroller and the diaper bag and had a great time. DD was very easy. Napped anywhere and really enjoyed all the stimulation. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but already have all the kids I want and no longer have a very generous boss

Me DW:: DS15 DD:: 10
1999 WDW Music
2000 WDW Off property
2004 WDW Off property
2008 WDW Wilderness Lodge
2011 WDW Boardwalk Villas
2013 DLR PPH and DLH
HMANSION LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #32
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

I'm one of those that wouldn't take a baby to DLR. I don't have anything against babies being there, but it wouldn't be a fun trip for me, to be honest. I am a big believer in family vacations but we held off on Disneyland until the kids were out of the baby stage. We don't live in the area and it just didn't appeal to us as parents to plan a trip to DL with a baby. We did take a 6-week-old baby to Hawaii (planned and paid for the trip before we learned of the impending birth) and compared to that experience, DL probably wouldn't seem too bad

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #33
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

I'm also one that wouldn't take a baby. I have a few reason why "I" wouldn't take one:

-- It's not a one day spur of the moment trip for us. We live in Canada and plan our vacations carefully. So for us, it isn't like the zoo. Although I'd love it if it were! lol

-- Like the poster above me said, it wouldn't be as much fun for me. As much as I claim we go to DL for the kids.......it's just as much for me. lol

-- I wanted my kids to remember the vacation. Again, it's a vacation for us, not a day trip. If I'm spending 10k or more on a vacation I sure as heck want them to remember it! lol

I'm totally for people that do it but it's just not for me. We've taken then several times since their first trip and have enjoyed every second of it. I waited until my daughter was 6 or 7 the first time she went and my son came with us when he was 7 the first time he went.

DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas 2012

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 15 DS 11
StyledSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #34
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

Well, we didn't go for our baby. We went for us, and we happened to have a baby. The baby does the same crying, needing attention thing wherever we were... so why not at Disney? Our son was 5 months old when we went for the first time. He enjoyed the stimulation and it was actually the perfect time to go. He loved watching things but wasn't mobile at the time, so he didn't care that he was in the stroller or in the carrier. He'd nap whenever he got tired. It was awesome!
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13 next trips: Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #35
kerickson
VGC Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMe View Post
I'm one of those that wouldn't take a baby to DLR. I don't have anything against babies being there, but it wouldn't be a fun trip for me, to be honest. I am a big believer in family vacations but we held off on Disneyland until the kids were out of the baby stage. We don't live in the area and it just didn't appeal to us as parents to plan a trip to DL with a baby. We did take a 6-week-old baby to Hawaii (planned and paid for the trip before we learned of the impending birth) and compared to that experience, DL probably wouldn't seem too bad
It's funny, took my DS at 9mo and DD at 2yrs to Disneyland, but said I'd never take a baby, or even toddler to Hawaii! Never appealed to me to have a beach vacation with young kids (mommy wouldn't be able to relax )
We finally went for the first time as a family this June (DS is now 6 and DD 8), and because of our first family trip to Disneyland (when we became DVC members), we stayed at Aulani and were able to bring along another family to stay with us!

kerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #36
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

I always brought my daughter where ever we went. I didn't wait for near 35+ years to leave her home. But then I always brought a babysitter with us. Poor baby sitter went around the US with us as husband played ball in summer at lots of tournaments. Daughter and Babysitter were so close they even fought like sisters LOL -- And we loved Suzie like a family member and she felt the same.

I know it was a luxury to have someone travel with us to help me with daughter even though I did most of care. It was nice to know I had help and that I could spend time with husband with just him and me.

Happy 2 B Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #37
starshine514
DIS Veteran

I think Disneyland is a great place for the "under three" set. First, you can carry the baby on to nearly every ride (try that at Legoland, my two-year-old got to ride a total of 2 rides all day because of height requirements), babies love to be out and look around (my girls were so much easier when we were out than they were at home), and you can get awesome pictures with your tiny one!

That being said, my youngest was almost 3 when we went on our first Disney vacation (and caught Disney fever), but not going earlier was for a variety of reasons (including DH's health). If we had a new one now, I'd prefer not to go while pregnant (since DH gets motion sick, the girls couldn't ride anything with a HR other than Soarin' without me along with), but would probably be taking our new addition before their first birthday.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #38
Lucille1963
DIS Veteran

I can't think of a better place to bring a baby!
Our trip when our son was 7 months old was wonderful. What other vacation destination is set up to accommodate children as well as Disney? All the restaurants are child friendly, there are changing tables everywhere (including mens restrooms), baby care centers, room for strollers, lots of easy activities and shows, a quick walk back to our hotel and an easy going atmosphere. It really felt like a vacation! Lots of relaxing!

That being said, I can't imagine doing the same trip at WDW! Too much work!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #39
Meech Loves Mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyDisneyDaddy View Post

First, life doesn't stop when you have kids.
Well said.

To the OP: It's hard to understand when you don't have kids. Before I had mine, I asked the same questions. If/When you have kids someday, you will understand!

DH and I like to travel and we weren't about to stop just because we had a baby. We took our older DS to Hawaii at 5 months, WDW at 7 months, Rome at 11 months. My younger DS went to WDW for the first time at 6 months.

Do they remember any of these trips, proabably not! But because of all these experiences, my kids are really adaptable and are great travelers now.
I feel like all of the traveling they do helps make them well rounded people!

~ May 2014 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Feb 2014 Disneyland Resort (Solo Trip!)
~ May 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Dec 2012 Disneyland & Disney California Adventure
~ May 2012 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Oct 2011 WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ May 2011 WDW Swan
~ Dec 2010 WDW Coronado Springs
~ Sept 2009 WDW Port Orleans French Quarter
~ Oct 2008 WDW Hilton at Downtown Disney
~ Nov 2005 Disneyland
~ May 2002 WDW Off Property
~ March 2001 WDW Off Property
Meech Loves Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #40
gunka
DIS Veteran

We took our DD (now 4) at all ages including 2 months. Had great times and memories. Maybe this makes the difference - we live in So Cal and stayed on property - being able to go back to the hotel at any time is huge. DD needs a nap or is getting hot/cranky, bail out of the park and go back to the room or pool. Yes, she cried, but as many other posters put she would have done that at home. Did she remember - no, but we have great pictures that she loves seeing now (and so do we).
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #41
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

We took my DD for the first time on her 2nd birthday but that we just because we weren't AP holders yet. By the time my DS was born, we had been AP holders for 2 years so we weren't going to stop going to DLR just because we had a baby.

In fact, DS had colic so I spent the first two months of his life carrying him around trying to sooth him. I would only go out for an hour at a time because I had to go when he was sleeping (otherwise he would wake up and start crying no matter where we were).

I finally decided I couldn't take being in the house anymore so we booked 3 nights at the Grand Californian, even though we live 30 minutes from DLR. I just needed to get out (and that was close enough that we could go home if needed). So the trip was 100% for me

As it turned out, DLR cured the colic Well, I'm sure DS was just getting to the point where he was outgrowing it but I'll always say it was that Disney Magic He slept all night, only waking once to eat. He didn't cry at all in the park, except when he was hungry. We used a combination of stroller and Baby Bjorn and he was just the happiest little baby while we were there.

I loved that trip so much that I extended our stay another night because I didn't want it to end

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #42
Joluru
Mouseketeer

We've had at least one kid 3 or under for the past 7 years. If we waited for them to be old enough to remember the trip, the oldest wouldn't get to experience Disney until he was nearing his teens!

And I agree that young babies are portable and enjoy seeing a new, bright, sparkly environment. They're going to do the same stuff (eat, poop, sleep, look around) whether you're on the couch or on vacation. I'd rather take care of that and also enjoy some rides and attractions!

I'll also say that the first 5 years are the most impressionable, even if they're not the years the kids remember the most when they're grown. They're learning how to be people, and what you do with them when they're tiny shapes that.

A kid who grows up with a family that travels, whether to Disneyland or anywhere else, grows up thinking it's normal and fun to try new experiences, leave the house and explore the world, get out of your comfort zone, etc. They don't have to be old enough to explain all that in order for it to sink in. It's the same reason you have a first birthday party for a kid - they understand and feel the love and happiness, the excitement, etc., even if they can't remember and talk about it later, and it shapes how they view, interact with, and experience the world.

We're taking our first Disneyland trip in February, but we've taken our kids all over the West - road trips up and down the west coast, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, and a few states farther in. It can be more challenging to travel with a little one but I'd much rather take them than stay home.
Joluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #43
bcla
DIS Veteran

I've got to say bringing my 2 YO was a wonderful experience. Before, anyone in a mascot style costume produced a total freak out. We went to pro and college games with mascots and my kid cowered when this strange costumed thing tried to be friendly. All of the mascots realized the fear and didn't press on, but I was hoping that eventually the fear would go away.

Costumed versions of Mickey, Donald, Pluto, and Goofy were totally accepted. My kid didn't want to leave.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #44
charlene1974
Earning My Ears

I truly hope no one was offended or took offense to my question. I truly had no intention of that.

I just always wondered why people brought their babies. Seeing it, to me it just seemed like it wouldn't be any fun for the parents, constantly having to take time out to take care of the baby, not getting to ride all the rides. I didn't realize that a lot of the rides did allow small children on them.

I wanted kids, but found out at 15, that was never going to happen. At 38, I still haven't come to full terms that I'll never be a mom, but that's another point all together.

Anyways, if I did offend anyone by asking my question, then, I truly do apologize, because that was never my intention.

Charlene
charlene1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #45
DizMe
Here we gooooo...
It's amazing how that happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerickson View Post
It's funny, took my DS at 9mo and DD at 2yrs to Disneyland, but said I'd never take a baby, or even toddler to Hawaii! Never appealed to me to have a beach vacation with young kids (mommy wouldn't be able to relax )
We finally went for the first time as a family this June (DS is now 6 and DD 8), and because of our first family trip to Disneyland (when we became DVC members), we stayed at Aulani and were able to bring along another family to stay with us!
Oh, you're so right!! It was a nightmare. The only reason we took her was because we had already booked and paid for everything before we knew I was pg. We couldn't get our money back so we took her along. I spent the whole vacation sitting in the condo, as she would scream whenever we tried to go out. It certainly wasn't the beach trip we'd planned for! We took her to DL and Hawaii at age 4 and she loved both by then. As a baby, nope!

I have 5 kids and by choice never took a baby to DL. Others, obviously, don't find it a hassle but it wasn't something that interested me. Age 4+ is my preference.

DizHe and DizMe DizWees DizHe & Our 4 Princesses
DizMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: