Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #31
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

We are planning on Fall 2013. Are they going to yank the rug from under us? I really don't want to have my heart set on sailing and then have the cruise cancelled . --Katie
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #32
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

I would be very hesitant to count on a Fall or Winter 2013 Galveston cruise that one has already booked to actually happen. Just ask all the people who had December 2012 cruises booked on the Wonder out of Los Angeles and had the rug pulled out from under them. People's Christmas and New Year's trips taken away because of such stunningly bad management from the people in charge at DCL. It made me hopping mad and I wasn't even booked on one of those cruises.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #33
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekatiel View Post
We are planning on Fall 2013. Are they going to yank the rug from under us? I really don't want to have my heart set on sailing and then have the cruise cancelled . --Katie
I would hope not, because the by now I"m sure some people have purchased airfare. Weren't the LA cruises canceled almost 12 months out?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #34
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
I think it's more options due to more people wanting to do parks and cruise vacations.

Fly to orlando, go to the parks, cruise, come back... two weeks vacation...
I can't imagine the average family vacations for 2 weeks.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #35
TXinmyheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
I can't imagine the average family vacations for 2 weeks.
Why not? With the cost of airfare, we usually don't go for less than two weeks.
TXinmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #36
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

While many would love to o 2 week vacations many can't afford it or can't take that much time at once or it would wipe out all their vacation time for the years.

We have done some 2 week, but with DH new job it won't be an option for a long long time.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #37
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXinmyheart View Post
This. Flights for a family of four are so high I couldn't justify less than a 7 night cruise, and since my family wants to go to WDW if we're already going to be in FL that has to get added on. So the trip keeps getting postponed due to price, because we don't have a ship we can drive to anymore.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #38
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
I don't disagree that some people do it, but it isn't an average length of vacation. My BIL and SIL do it each year. They are the only people I know. Most folks I know do 7 nights or less. Some do nothing at all and think we are crazy b/c we go 8-9 nights per year. I think for some there is a financial constraint, for others it's time off work. We'd love to do Europe, but no way my DH would take that much time off work at once.

9 nights is perfect for us b/c we can go Fri evening thru the following Sunday evening....only needing 5 days off work/school.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC

Last edited by disneymagicgirl; 12-12-2012 at 10:43 AM.
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #39
TXinmyheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
We'd love to do Europe, but no way my DH would take that much time off work at once.
How sad. I cannot imagine anyone getting to the end of their life and thinking, Gosh if I had only worked more. We work so we can live, not live so we can work.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #40
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
How sad. I cannot imagine anyone getting to the end of their life and thinking, Gosh if I had only worked more. We work so we can live, not live so we can work.

While that makes a nice bumper sticker or headstone engraving, it's generally not reality. I've never worked anyplace where you could take more than a week off at a time for vacation. Most places have fewer people working there than in years past, so it's much harder to fill the gap when someone is gone. If you're like me, you're happy to have a good job with a good company, and you just wring that much more enjoyment and happiness out of your 1-week vacations!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #41
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
I think it's more options due to more people wanting to do parks and cruise vacations.

Fly to orlando, go to the parks, cruise, come back... two weeks vacation...
I get this scenario.......but do not understand why they aren't leaving one ship on the West Coast for the same reason -- Disneyland!

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #42
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Cool I Have to Chuckle

Hi there,

How innovative of DCL to put all the ships out of Florida, they have finally realised that the parks are a big reason, I just find had it's taken this long to work this out. I think this is a shame as we have lots of adverts on TV here in UK for lots of cruise lines, however not even an advert about DCL. It may well be that this the future for DCL and maybe a few adventures elsewhere during the summer months. I DID MAKE SEVERAL COMMENTS ON THE DISNEY BLOG, HOWEVER THEY ONLY PUBLISH "POSITIVE COMMENTS"

Come on DCL you can do better than this.

I did smile when I see people, a few posts back, in the states moaning about airfares, you should try spending a $4000 per trip just to get to Fl, that is why you see so many Europeans in the lower stateroom classes.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #43
TXinmyheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
I get this scenario.......but do not understand why they aren't leaving one ship on the West Coast for the same reason -- Disneyland!
Because they were not making enough money on the West Coast cruises. Plain and simple.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #44
epgirl
Earning My Ears

I also have begun taking two week vacations due to the high cost of airfare. We can kill two birds with one stone!
epgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #45
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
Hi there,

How innovative of DCL to put all the ships out of Florida, they have finally realised that the parks are a big reason, I just find had it's taken this long to work this out. I think this is a shame as we have lots of adverts on TV here in UK for lots of cruise lines, however not even an advert about DCL. It may well be that this the future for DCL and maybe a few adventures elsewhere during the summer months. I DID MAKE SEVERAL COMMENTS ON THE DISNEY BLOG, HOWEVER THEY ONLY PUBLISH "POSITIVE COMMENTS"

Come on DCL you can do better than this.

I did smile when I see people, a few posts back, in the states moaning about airfares, you should try spending a $4000 per trip just to get to Fl, that is why you see so many Europeans in the lower stateroom classes.
Even though many on these boards combine the parks and cruises, I highly doubt it is the norm. Look how many people fly in the day of the cruise and flyout the day they get off. When we are on board and talk to people we rarely hear of someon going to the parks before or after. While many might like to many can't afford to both at once, it ends up a lot of money.

Many would also see the two as two seperate vacations.

Florida in general hold the market for cruises, all lines. People want to go to the carribbean and bahamas. They want tropical. The other cruise lines have had a hard time on the west coast too and have pulled out due to people not wanting to go to the mexican riveria.

IN general DIsney has not had a problem selling 3, 4 and 7 night out of PC so they are going where they know they can sell for now. They have had a rough time with Galvestong and LA and need to make up for it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: