Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Danjocass
Mousketeer

Only Child

For the first time my DH & DD & I are traveling to Disney with my SIL, BIL & 2 neices. We are all very excited since a previous planned trip didn't work out. Now, we do a lot of things together and do travel together for weekend trips. We also do Sesame Place a lot together. Thing is, my DD is an only child and last time we went to Disney (Nov. 2011) it was her first time and she had a wonderful time. This upcoming trip we all think its great that the girls will be together to experience all the magic. There really has never been an issue with my DD feeling kind of left out until we went to Sesame Place this weekend and when My DD & both neices went on the swings. There are only seats for "2" people to sit. Now, my DD is 7 1/2 & one neice is 8 1/2 & the other almost 5. My DD came over to me crying because she wanted to sit with the 8 1/2 year old. My older neice is and my DD are very close (like sisters) I went on with her & she still cried a little after. I explained to her that sometimes they have to ride together and that I will always go with her if she wanted. She just looked at me like, you don't get it Mama. So, How can I make her feel a little better if this happens there? Anyone else experience this? This was the first time this has happend.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjocass View Post
For the first time my DH & DD & I are traveling to Disney with my SIL, BIL & 2 neices. We are all very excited since a previous planned trip didn't work out. Now, we do a lot of things together and do travel together for weekend trips. We also do Sesame Place a lot together. Thing is, my DD is an only child and last time we went to Disney (Nov. 2011) it was her first time and she had a wonderful time. This upcoming trip we all think its great that the girls will be together to experience all the magic. There really has never been an issue with my DD feeling kind of left out until we went to Sesame Place this weekend and when My DD & both neices went on the swings. There are only seats for "2" people to sit. Now, my DD is 7 1/2 & one neice is 8 1/2 & the other almost 5. My DD came over to me crying because she wanted to sit with the 8 1/2 year old. My older neice is and my DD are very close (like sisters) I went on with her & she still cried a little after. I explained to her that sometimes they have to ride together and that I will always go with her if she wanted. She just looked at me like, you don't get it Mama. So, How can I make her feel a little better if this happens there? Anyone else experience this? This was the first time this has happend.
I get it, my three DD's sometimes have issues when there are cousins visiting. They have learned to work through it. We encourage them to take turns playing or sitting with one another, so that no one is left out. Maybe you could just encourage them to all take turns with one another? Most of the rides will seat three small kids easily though, so you might not have too many issues.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
mm1971
DIS Veteran

It is always difficult with three children and two seats. Someone always will be left out. Maybe you could have the two older girls have something special to do at some point together without the 5 yo. Maybe something the younger girl cannot do or doesn't enjoy.

Your DD needs to understand that the 5 year old may not be able to ride alone and that it is not that the older girl does not want to go with her, but that she needs to supervise and be there for her younger sister. I know it is a tough lesson, but it is the situation. I really hope the few times it may happen that it does not take any magic from your trip.

As a PP said, most rides will seat all three of them together from what I remember so it should not be an issue the majority of the time. Other than EE in AK, I can't think of anything they cannot go on together.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

At WDW, a child can only ride without an adult if the child is over the age of 7. (Or is it 8?) Two kids and a small adult can fit in most ride vehicles that would seat two adults.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

The other outcome would have been your DD and the older cousin riding together, and then the 5 year old (possibly) running off crying because no one would ride with her. Thats not fair either. There is no black and white solution to this, and you're probably going to have a hard time since you don't really have a say in what your in-laws kids do. They are going to want to be together because they are sisters, and unfortunately for your DD, that is going to win out 9 times out of 10. Since she seems rather sensitive, you should prepair her, and talk to her about this now, so she doesn't get so upset throughout Disney when you all go. Tell her not to let it ruin her trip, and that she will still have a great time, even if shes riding with "just Mommy."
DisneyLvr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

My sister has two girls and I only have one. We also both have 2 boys but this issue never seemed to come up with the boys when there were an odd number of them.

More often than not, my nieces wanted my daughter to sit with one and not the other. My daughter would get upset because she was torn between two cousins, whom she loves equally.

We solved the problem by taking turns. On ride #1, A rode with B and C rode with an adult. On ride #2, A rode with C and B rode with an adult. On ride #3, A rode with an adult and B & C rode together.

Repeat as often as necessary.

If one of them got upset because she didn't want to ride with the person she was supposed to ride with, then she got to sit that ride out.

Every child of your daughter's age understands the concept of taking turns. Explain it to the girls ahead of time that this is how you will be handling the rides that only allow 2 people to sit together.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

As someone mentioned, the 5 year old can not ride alone. She will have to have an adult, even on rides like Dumbo, and Buzz. It sounds like the issues will be with the 5 year old. It will be good to prepare her for that ahead of time. Three ALWAYS creates issues, especially with little girls whom are related. Maybe have a plan in place for things like who gets to be with whom.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
jennilouwho
DIS Veteran

I agree, just have them take turns. We took my mother in law on a trip once with grandkids and they all fought over who got to sit by grandma. We just had them take turns and it all worked out fine.
jennilouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Danjocass
Mousketeer

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. I am going to talk to my DD about it before the trip. My DH and I pretty much go on anything so she will never ride "alone" the taking turns idea is good and who knows maybe it will work great considering my inlaws go on everything as well and we can all take turns with the kids.. I love these boards, almost like a bit of magic here too! Thanks again! :-)
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjocass View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your advice. I am going to talk to my DD about it before the trip. My DH and I pretty much go on anything so she will never ride "alone" the taking turns idea is good and who knows maybe it will work great considering my inlaws go on everything as well and we can all take turns with the kids.. I love these boards, almost like a bit of magic here too! Thanks again! :-)
Since at least one of the children is under the age limit for riding without an adult, it'll be an easy decision, actually. The 5 year old will always be with an adult.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Danjocass
Mousketeer

Yes she needs an adult but can't she ride with an older child who meets the hight requirement?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
jennilouwho
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure the rule is 7 and under must ride with an adult.
jennilouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
wdwmama19
Earning My Ears

The rule is that if the child is under 7, then they must have an adult with them.
wdwmama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

For the swings at Sesame place, I would have just said the 4 year old was too small to ride alone, so her sister had to ride with her.

It sounds like it will be a slightly different problem in Disney, but I would still just be very practical. If the little one has to ride with an adult, then just say that's the safety rule. That way it's coming from the staff members, not the other girls, so no hurt feelings.

Look for the good in people. Make rainbows. Play the glad game.

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
lan3
Mouseketeer

I think you should definitely take turns. Even if the 5 year old has to ride with an adult, she should be in the turn taking. Most rides seat three so the 5 year old can ride with an adult and one of the girls so she is not left out. Three girls always equals issues!
lan3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: