DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Question about reserving a 2 BR Lockoff @ BLT

Hi - I need some advice... we have a cruise planned in November, leaving Miami on 11/29.

I am planning to visit our home resort, BLT in November. Staying 11/24 and checking out 11/28, Thanksgiving day. Normally - my family of 6 would only need a 1 BR because my baby is just 1. This will require 120 points.

The plan is to drive the 2 hours to VB, stay 1 night there (38 pts), and then leave morning of 11/29 to drive the remaining 2 hours to Miami for our cruise.

My brother's family of 3 is joining us in the cruise. I've asked them if they want to join us in WDW before or after the trip - and they can't decide if they're doing it before OR after (at least not this early enough for the 11 month window).

So, if they come with us - I would need to book us a 2 BR requiring 165 points. If they decide not to come, that would be a waste of 45 points.

My options:
  • Option #1: Book a 1 BR now for my family, and then change to a 2BR once they decide. Save 45 points but risk availability?
  • Option #2: Book a 2 BR now, potentially waste the 45 points and just enjoy the extra space. Add their names in the reservation once they've decided?

It seems option #2 is the safer bet. But I don't want to waste 40 points if not needed

My question is this:

Can I book a 2 BR lockoff @ the 11 month window - and then if they decide not to come, downgrade that to the 1BR, so essentially releasing just the studio part of the lock off without risking the 1 BR of my reservation? Not sure if it works this way, or if they have to release the whole 2 BR, and give that to people in the waiting list waiting for a 2BR - and then find me ANOTHER 1 BR.

The other complication is that - they may only arrive on 2 of those 4 nights. So, if they do come - I just need the studio part (the 2 BR lockoff) for the 2 days they're there saving 11 points.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

Last edited by myxdvz; 12-11-2012 at 11:27 PM.
myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Nope, you would have to rebook and the chances of getting it are slim to none if you wait past 7 month booking.

They are either going to have to decide and commit or you are going to have to risk it and possibly have points left used for the 2 bedroom.

Personally my family of 3 books a two bedroom, so for me it would not be a waste of points.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Nope, you would have to rebook and the chances of getting it are slim to none if you wait past 7 month booking.

They are either going to have to decide and commit or you are going to have to risk it and possibly have points left used for the 2 bedroom.
OK. That's what I thought.

Another question: If they will only be there 2 of the 4 days - do I need to add them to the reservation? Or can I just have them sleep in my room without doing so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Personally my family of 3 books a two bedroom, so for me it would not be a waste of points.
We did this in 2010, booking a dedicated 2 BR @ OKW (my brother joined us for 1 night) and it was too big! My kids are still small and they always want to "sleep with mommy/daddy" while we're on vacation

However, I am realizing that we are getting too big for a 1BR, so I am in the processing of getting more points to be able to book 2 BRs consistently.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

Last edited by myxdvz; 12-11-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Sammie
DIS Veteran

you can wait and add them after you arrive but it is always a good idea to add them, which won't be any problem unless you are doing the dining plan as everyone has to be on it.

If you don't add them, they won't have any ID for extra magic hours or keys to the room.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

You may want to consider booking a 1 bedroom and studio separately. They most likely will not be connecting, but they can have their own room. If they don't come, cancel the studio. Or try later to get a 2 bedroom.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
You may want to consider booking a 1 bedroom and studio separately. They most likely will not be connecting, but they can have their own room. If they don't come, cancel the studio. Or try later to get a 2 bedroom.
I've run some numbers:

2 rooms 11/24 - 11/28
  • 1 BR Std: 120 pts
  • 1 Std Studio: 64 pts (or 34 pts if they only stay the 2 nights)
* Total points is 184 or 154

Pro: I can cancel the Studio or cancel the days that they're not there without wasting points
Con: If they end up staying all 4 nights, we used 19 pts more than a 2BR lockoff (165)

If they end up staying the whole 4 nights - can I call later and merge the 2 reservations into a 2 BR lockoff, thereby using only 165 points?

OTOH, I guess wasting 19 points (if they stay 4 nights) is better than wasting 45 (if they don't stay at all)...

OMG! I'm such a points pincher/stretcher... I need that add-on ASAP!!!

June 2014 HHI

Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
drusba

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post
If they end up staying the whole 4 nights - can I call later and merge the 2 reservations into a 2 BR lockoff, thereby using only 165 points?
No, that would be a new reservation and thus you would have to cancel both rooms and then reserve a 2BR.

Any time you are attempting to change room category, such as from 1BR to 2BR lock-off, 1BR and studio to 2BR lock-off, 2BR lock-off to a 1BR or a studio, or even a 2BR dedicated to a 2BR lock-off, you have to cancel what you have and make a new reservation which you will only be able to do if the new room category is still available at time you attempt the change.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Another thing to keep in mind is if you reserve the 1 bedroom and studio separately, you are not guaranteed that they will be close to each other. We did this very same thing last year at BLT, and our 1 bedroom was on the 12th floor, and our guest's studio was on the 4th floor. This was after the front desk assured us that our guests would get the studio next to us when they arrived.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Honestly, if your brother and his family can't commit or you can't trust that they'll follow through on their commitment, why don't you just focus on your reservation and let him figure out theirs?

I'd hate to see you book the villa for them and then end up out of luck when they change their plans or back out. People who don't own timeshare often don't understand that it comes with a different set of rules than just booking a typical vacation.

Plus, at the end of the day, you may enjoy a little separation from them rather than sharing a lockoff villa.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Honestly, if your brother and his family can't commit or you can't trust that they'll follow through on their commitment, why don't you just focus on your reservation and let him figure out theirs?

I'd hate to see you book the villa for them and then end up out of luck when they change their plans or back out. People who don't own timeshare often don't understand that it comes with a different set of rules than just booking a typical vacation.

Plus, at the end of the day, you may enjoy a little separation from them rather than sharing a lockoff villa.
I agree with all of this. If they can't commit, its not your responsible to mess around with your points and reservations when they do decide.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Thanks for all the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
People who don't own timeshare often don't understand that it comes with a different set of rules than just booking a typical vacation.
This is soooo true!!! My SIL knows I own DVC and I have an open invitation to them to use our points (if available) when they visit WDW, but they seem to think that it is like doing a cash reservation and can be done anytime. She told me they "might" visit in April for my niece's birthday but they "don't know" yet - and I said it may not be possible unless she gives me ample notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
I agree with all of this. If they can't commit, its not your responsible to mess around with your points and reservations when they do decide.
This is true as well. I just SO want to share our love for WDW and DVC with them and the girls always have fun together.

I might do the separate rooms. I will do it just in case they do come and cancel/reduce dates once they finalize. Fortunately my banking date is 11/30 so I would have time to bank any cancelled points if needed.

We cruise in separate state rooms and because we normally have a Cat 4x or Cat 5x and they have IS or OV, we don't normally have connecting rooms anyway - they just always "hang out" in our room coz we have the bigger space and the verandah.

Wish me luck on my 11th month!!!
June 2014 HHI

Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I think that going by an experience with 3 kids 2 years ago (3 years from your trip) is probably not the absolute, total, best idea for planning this one with 4 kids. The 7 year old might very well have grown out of it by then (my son is 8.5, gets to sleep with us or without us even at home, but I have a feeling that on our next trip he will be happy to sleep alone, for example), and even just thinking of suitcases for 6 in a *one* bedroom makes me feel like I have to tiptoe around and watch for obstacles.

If I were in your shoes, I would just book, and plan to use, the 2 bedroom no matter what. I mean, you will soon enough, might as well get started now.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I think that going by an experience with 3 kids 2 years ago (3 years from your trip) is probably not the absolute, total, best idea for planning this one with 4 kids. The 7 year old might very well have grown out of it by then (my son is 8.5, gets to sleep with us or without us even at home, but I have a feeling that on our next trip he will be happy to sleep alone, for example), and even just thinking of suitcases for 6 in a *one* bedroom makes me feel like I have to tiptoe around and watch for obstacles.

If I were in your shoes, I would just book, and plan to use, the 2 bedroom no matter what. I mean, you will soon enough, might as well get started now.
I hear you! We did WDW and DCL in 2010 with the 3 kids (ages 2, 4, 6 then). I absolutely tried to convince DH to leave the 1 (almost 2) year old back home. He won't remember anything, and it would limit us going around and force us to use strollers.

But DH works 2 jobs, and refuses to go anywhere now without all the kids. He would rather stay home and play with the kids in the house, the playground or the backyard - rather than leaving any one of the kids even for a weekend. His "family time" is holy.

You should have seen me dragging 4 kids, 10 luggages from Asia to Chicago by myself last summer (my mom was hospitalized which meant I had to go home without her to help me). I thought I deserved Mom-of-the-Year Award for that feat!

After that experience -- 4 kids with DH to help and half the luggage should be easy. Normally, DH and I share a luggage, the kids share another luggage. The rest if any would be rollerboards.

But you're right - the 2BR would give us better space. I have 10 days, and just submitted/signed a contract for 150 pts for OKW. If that goes thru, I should have doubled my points and not worry too much.
June 2014 HHI

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: