Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Did I donate enough?

My work, a retail store, decided to adopt a school this year instead of a family. Our ASM wife works at a school, and many of the children don't have winter coats etc when they go outside to recess. So as a store, we are buying one size each of a winter coat for boys and girls, as well as gloves, hats and scarves.

So far I've purchased.
A winter coat (valued at $50 but I got a good deal)
two pairs of knit gloves
two hats
two scarves
I want to do more, but I'm pretty much a poor college student. I'm debating purchasing another coat.
So far, the only other people who have purchased stuff is full-time managers.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

How awesome of you!! It doesn't have to be full coats if you'd like to save money. I bet you could find good deals on generic sweatshirts or long t-shirts that would also help be an extra layer for not as much money.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
My work, a retail store, decided to adopt a school this year instead of a family. Our ASM wife works at a school, and many of the children don't have winter coats etc when they go outside to recess. So as a store, we are buying one size each of a winter coat for boys and girls, as well as gloves, hats and scarves.

So far I've purchased.
A winter coat (valued at $50 but I got a good deal)
two pairs of knit gloves
two hats
two scarves
I want to do more, but I'm pretty much a poor college student. I'm debating purchasing another coat.
So far, the only other people who have purchased stuff is full-time managers.
That's awesome!

If you can afford another coat, that'd be great I'm sure, but if you can't and still want to do more, could you maybe get socks? You can find those pretty cheap and if someone doesn't have winter gear a lot of times they don't have newer/good socks. It's not something you'd spend money replacing if money were tight.

Are you guys getting other stuff for the school or kids? Maybe you could encourage some of your colleagues to go in together on stuff like two could buy a coat, or buy littler stuff like packs of paper, pencils, crayons, etc.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Callie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
That's awesome!

If you can afford another coat, that'd be great I'm sure, but if you can't and still want to do more, could you maybe get socks? You can find those pretty cheap and if someone doesn't have winter gear a lot of times they don't have newer/good socks. It's not something you'd spend money replacing if money were tight.

Are you guys getting other stuff for the school or kids? Maybe you could encourage some of your colleagues to go in together on stuff like two could buy a coat, or buy littler stuff like packs of paper, pencils, crayons, etc.
We are kind of focusing on the outerwear stuff. But I might ask him to ask his wife if they need school supplies as well. I have a ton I got for cheap earlier this year, and my mom has some as well since she is a teacher.
I might throw in a pair of cozy socks. Keep their feet warm! I plan on asking my grandma if she wants to help as well. I'm kind of upset more people haven't spent 2 bucks on a pair of gloves, or a scarf!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
jlima
Beep Beep!

How many students does the school have; and how many employees does your store have? Was the plan for each employee to purchase more than one to accommodate everybody? It sounds like you've been very generous. I would wait until the end of the drive; if they are short and need more coats then I would donate another if the price is right.

Port Orleans Nov 91 (Honeymoon!) • Dolphin Nov 99 • Dolphin & 7 day Magic cruise July 01 • HRH & Poly June 04 • HRH May 05 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 05 • HRH Sept 06 • Wilderness Lodge July 07 • West Coast Magic Cruise June 08 • HRH & Coronado Springs Dec 08 • HRH, Wilderness Lodge & 6 day Christmas Magic Cruise '11 • DL AP holder since 1989!!
jlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

I agree with the previous poster, wait until the end of the drive and fill in the holes if you can afford to. They may have an overabundance of pink gloves and could use some boy ones or whatever. Regardless you give what you can afford at the time. Your donation sounds wonderful as it stands now.

My older son's school fill stockings for a Christmas party for foster kids who are medically fragile. I sent in some donations. When I went to the stuffing night, I realized that not many people sent stuff in for older teen boys. I wish I had known that, I would have sent more stuff in.

But you know what now I know for next year and I can get some of that stuff as well. I did send what I could afford, but it breaks your heart to see a need and you want to fill it!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

It is really sweet of you to put so much thought and time as well as your limited monetary resources into making the donations. I agree with the PPs that waiting to the end and filling in holes is a great thing to do, IF you have more you can spare. If not, you have certainly done your part.

I do caution you not to be so critical of those not spending "2 bucks for a pair of gloves or a scarf"

MANY many organizations are asking for things and for money right now. $2 here and $5 there and even $1 at a time adds up. Some people prefer to donate in bits and pieces like that. Others ether chose not to or are on very tight budgets and truly are unable. Others (myself included) may chose to put their donations towards particular charities they have a long standing history with and donate one or two larger blocks of money or goods there. Someone not buying gloves for the charity you boss decided to support does not mean that the person is uncaring or not willing to help others--it may jsut mean they help a different charty or in different ways

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

That's very generous of you!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
Callie

That is true about not judging, I could be jumping to conclusions. Its just that I see some of the people who haven't donated buying starbucks almost every shift.

But maybe I'll buy another coat, but not put it in the donation box until the end in case its not needed. There is just a good sale on them this week!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is true about not judging, I could be jumping to conclusions. Its just that I see some of the people who haven't donated buying starbucks almost every shift.

But maybe I'll buy another coat, but not put it in the donation box until the end in case its not needed. There is just a good sale on them this week!
Good for them. Keeping the economy going, Starbucks open, and the Starbucks employees working and paying taxes. How great of your fellow employees to contribute to a struggling economy like that.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Callie, it is wonderful what you are doing to help out these kids at Christmas time, and you are being very generous with your giving. However, I think you need to be careful about judging those you work with. Should everyone give up every little luxury in their life because others are in need? At what point is 'enough'?

You have no real idea what your coworkers do to help others. This charity your boss has chosen is just one of MANY that are in need at the moment. Many people set up monthly donations to charities they support. Others donate their time on a regular basis. Perhaps that coffee is the one little joy they allow themselves...or maybe one of many...but it is still not your place to judge. The money they earn is theirs to do with as they please, whether to buy coffee or winter coats.

Every Monday I purchase a donation bag for the foodbank when I go through the cashier. If I go through later in the week, I refuse when I'm asked if I want to make a donation. If you heard my refusal, would you think I'm cheap? Would you judge me because I'm buying cookies for myself and my kids instead of donating staples to someone else? Unless you are truly destitute, there are always things you could give up so that others could have more. At what point do you get to say that you've given enough without feeling bad about buying a Starbucks coffee???
BCDisneyFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
Good for them. Keeping the economy going, Starbucks open, and the Starbucks employees working and paying taxes. How great of your fellow employees to contribute to a struggling economy like that.
I think the OP's point was that they could use the amt paid for a cup of coffee and used it towards a pair of gloves or a hat. The money would still go into the economy and would help keep the employees employed and paying taxes at the Glove and Hat store! Starbucks isnt the only store that pays taxes or employs people who pay taxes

With that said, I know I give to a lot of different places but my adopted child was from somewhere different this year, a different school. I did stuff through older DSs HS vs the grade school, I could not do both. Although I could donate a simple hat to another drive if I wanted to. OP maybe your coworkers adopted a kid somewhere else or gave to a different drive, you never know!
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Callie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkrop View Post
I think the OP's point was that they could use the amt paid for a cup of coffee and used it towards a pair of gloves or a hat. The money would still go into the economy and would help keep the employees employed and paying taxes at the Glove and Hat store! Starbucks isnt the only store that pays taxes or employs people who pay taxes

With that said, I know I give to a lot of different places but my adopted child was from somewhere different this year, a different school. I did stuff through older DSs HS vs the grade school, I could not do both. Although I could donate a simple hat to another drive if I wanted to. OP maybe your coworkers adopted a kid somewhere else or gave to a different drive, you never know!
Yes, that was my point. I understand people give to a lot of different places, and not everyone gives to the same cause. I just think that since it's something we are doing as a store, they could easily skip a coffee one day, buy a pair of gloves, and help contribute. Maybe they will, who knows. But I just wanted to vent.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, that was my point. I understand people give to a lot of different places, and not everyone gives to the same cause. I just think that since it's something we are doing as a store, they could easily skip a coffee one day, buy a pair of gloves, and help contribute. Maybe they will, who knows. But I just wanted to vent.
Is the drive over? Maybe they are waiting to bring their items in. I am always so bad about those things. I had my Angel Tree items in my car for about two weeks! I only brought them yesterday because I thought it was the last day they could be dropped off. I still need to drop off a few things to Toys for Tots. (Although in my defense I went to a few locations that were supposed to have a drop off and they did not.)
Anyways, maybe they can afford Starbucks and to buy a coat.

As to your original question, there really is no "enough" point. Don't go broke trying to buy more things. Give what you can and what you feel comfortable with. What you have done so far is very generous.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
The Mayor
How about 7"...6" is for rookies
It's the CB, it's not supposed to make sense

Most people, including myself, donate what they can afford and most don't go on a message board to brag about it and look for pats on the back. Your post sort of diminishes your good intentions and the donations you intend to give...IMHO.

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid".--John Wayne

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be." -- John Wayne
The Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: