Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
Bingo
My point exactly
You can resell the tix for face value or less as long as it is not on Disney prop and be fine
It's more of a moral issue then a legal one, do you feel ok with losing $_
If so b moral and forget it
If not sell the ticket and be done with it
Disney has far bigger things to worry about legally then a person here or here "transferring tickets" that are unused and for price they already collected on
I looked up the actual law, and California law is a little bit less severe than I'd though. The crime only occurs if there's an attempt to sell at a higher price than face value. I've bought from resellers (including season ticket holders unloading an extra ticket) for less than face value. Another tack of some scalpers is that they hang out in parking lots that technically aren't the same as the "venue". Once I had an extra ticket that I was trying to unload for face value. I had a single but arrived an bought a pair so I could go see a game with my dad. An employee saw this and said we couldn't do it, although we were on a public sidewalk next to the stadium. My dad asked if it could be given away. We got rid of it quickly that way.

Quote:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...&file=346-367g

346. Any person who, without the written permission of the owner or operator of the property on which an entertainment event is to be held or is being held, sells a ticket of admission to the entertainment event, which was obtained for the purpose of resale, at any price which is in excess of the price that is printed or endorsed upon the ticket, while on the grounds of or in the stadium, arena, theater, or other place where an event for which admission tickets are sold is to be held or is being held, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
However, if you're on Disney property you are dealing with Disney's rules. If you're on the street you're dealing with different rules. On their property if they see it happening - they can take the tickets/vouchers/etc away.

I think the key thing people need to understand about all this is that the terms of tickets and vouchers state that the instruments are not the property of the holder, and that essentially that Disney reserves the rights to confiscate the instruments if they determine they were bought/sold in violation of their policy. Of course if they make a mistake (such as denying entrance to the original buyer), there probably is contract law involved somewhere.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

We have never had a problem asking Disney to credit or refund the cost of an unused ticket. Selling the ticket has never been an issue. We ask Guest Services, explain the situation, and have received a credit (gift card) or a refund every time. For me, I don't understand why someone would want to go against Disney's policy (assuming they've looked at the back of the ticket) when Disney makes it so easy to follow their rules.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
danabalana
Mouseketeer

It seems to me that the tickets aren't transferable after use. Before a ticket is used it's not assigned to anyone and anyone can use the full value of the ticket.
I see the point being that a person can't profit from the sale of a ticket.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danabalana View Post
It seems to me that the tickets aren't transferable after use. Before a ticket is used it's not assigned to anyone and anyone can use the full value of the ticket.
I see the point being that a person can't profit from the sale of a ticket.
I've got the Southern California CityPass cards we used. The second sentence in the terms is "Not for resale". That doesn't seem to be in the Disney terms for eTickets. It also says nonrefundable, but of course it doesn't hurt to ask.

The bigger issue with trying to sell tickets (even if done in good faith) is that there are so many scams out there that potential buyers are wary of buying from a private party. The rental brokers actually have a history (and reviews on Yelp) that they can point to.

If I were in this situation I'd try to get a refund first. If that doesn't work, maybe just give away the ticket if they won't refund it.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Folks, no matter what the state law is, DISNEY has made their wishes known by printing on their tickets that tickets are not for re-sale. Discussing selling tickets, whether before or after they have been used, is a violation of Disney policy and therefore DISboard policy and the mods can delete posts or shut this thread down.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #21
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
Folks, no matter what the state law is, DISNEY has made their wishes known by printing on their tickets that tickets are not for re-sale. Discussing selling tickets, whether before or after they have been used, is a violation of Disney policy and therefore DISboard policy and the mods can delete posts or shut this thread down.
I've seen a lot of discussions that center or at least skirt around what would seem to be violations of Disney policy. There's a hopping discussion about someone operating an unsanctioned tour business and using an annual passport for commercial purposes (a violation of Disney policy). In this thread there are people suggesting that the OP might try asking for a refund anyways, even though it would too be a violation of Disney policy.

This is an unofficial forum and I'm assuming that none of this is sanctioned by Disney.

I can't find any terms for the tickets sold at the ticket window or through other channels (other than the CityPass card I've got). "Disney's eTicket Terms & Conditions" says nothing about resale. It does mention that they're nontransferable and must be used by the same person for all days. I think once the voucher is used and (what Disney calls) a "standard theme park ticket" is generated, those terms probably say that resale is not allowed. Of course by that time the ticket has been used, it's nontransferable by Disney's terms, and I don't see how it's not resold without being transfered.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/e-tickets/

Still - even if the offer to sell is legitimate and not a violation of Disney policy, there are bound to be people scared off by all the scams. I could easily imagine that attempts to resell end up nowhere.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #22
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post

I can't find any terms for the tickets sold at the ticket window or through other channels (other than the CityPass card I've got). "Disney's eTicket Terms & Conditions" says nothing about resale.
It does mention that they're nontransferable and must be used by the same person for all days. I think once the voucher is used and (what Disney calls) a "standard theme park ticket" is generated, those terms probably say that resale is not allowed. Of course by that time the ticket has been used, it's nontransferable by Disney's terms, and I don't see how it's not resold without being transfered.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/e-tickets/
On the webpage that sells tickets, the print clearly says: "Tickets may not be sold or transferred for commercial use." (here)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #23
junmatno
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane
First of all, these people are just trying to offer solutions. The woman didn't say ANYTHING about renting her ticket. Second of all, get over it! Do you know how many threads are discussing the ethics of renting tickets on this site? She never said anything about using it first, she said selling it when they get there. And you are gonna come to this thread where this woman asked for advice and what? Tattle on them? Just ridiculous.
junmatno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #24
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by junmatno View Post
First of all, these people are just trying to offer solutions. The woman didn't say ANYTHING about renting her ticket. Second of all, get over it! Do you know how many threads are discussing the ethics of renting tickets on this site? She never said anything about using it first, she said selling it when they get there. And you are gonna come to this thread where this woman asked for advice and what? Tattle on them? Just ridiculous.
I have nothing against the OP! She asked a legitimate question and was given the proper answer - that she should ask for a refund or see if a nice CM will give her credit. She was told that selling tickets is not allowed and she agreed that she would not do that. I have not tattled on anyone, as I have not reported this thread to the moderators of the site, I have simply commented to those promoting such an act that selling tickets is against Disneyland policy and therefore against DISboard policy and offered a warning that in the past when this has been discussed, mods have shut the thread down because it violates our terms and conditions.

I'm sorry if you find that "ridiculous".
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #25
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla

I've seen a lot of discussions that center or at least skirt around what would seem to be violations of Disney policy. There's a hopping discussion about someone operating an unsanctioned tour business and using an annual passport for commercial purposes (a violation of Disney policy). In this thread there are people suggesting that the OP might try asking for a refund anyways, even though it would too be a violation of Disney policy.

There is nothing wrong with asking Disney to bend their own policy. They are free to refuse. Disney oftentimes bends the rules in individual cases in order to provide better customer service. What is wrong is taking matters into your own hands and breaking Disney's rules yourself. That kind of thing is not allowed here on this forum.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #26
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I have nothing against the OP! She asked a legitimate question and was given the proper answer - that she should ask for a refund or see if a nice CM will give her credit. She was told that selling tickets is not allowed and she agreed that she would not do that. I have not tattled on anyone, as I have not reported this thread to the moderators of the site, I have simply commented to those promoting such an act that selling tickets is against Disneyland policy and therefore against DISboard policy and offered a warning that in the past when this has been discussed, mods have shut the thread down because it violates our terms and conditions.

I'm sorry if you find that "ridiculous".
I can't find that in the terms. They're specific about a good many things, but I don't see what you say is there. There is a catchall provision that they can do anything they want because it's their site, but that's the case with pretty much any message board.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm/
http://www.disboards.com/misc.php?do=showrules
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #27
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

This is becoming stupid and not worth fighting over. Say what you wish. I was simply warning you and other posters that in the past, such statements have not been tolerated and might not be tolerated now. So long!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
Sacha_L
Mouseketeer

Sorry I did not mean to start anything. Thank you to everyone who tried to help. I asked here because DIS members usually are more informed than CM's on the phone. My plan is to ask if I can have a credit when we get to the park. Either toward our purchase of AP's or if all else fails I'll hold the ticket till next year when we renew. As new California residents we are so excited to have the option of the payment plan .
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #29
OnTheRoadAgain
DIS Veteran

Is it true that ticket value never expires? If someone doesn't use a ticket by the "first use date" on the back, they could use it sometime in the near or far future and pay the difference, right? Or is that unofficial?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: