Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
springandmac
DIS Veteran

Where does everyone eat on Christmas Day?

This is my first stay at Bonnet Creek. We will be there from 12/23 - 12/27 and I'm noticing places we like to eat (Carrabba's, Cheesecake Factory, Joe's Crab Shack) are closed on Christmas Day. Since this is a last minute trip, chances of scoring a ADR at a Disney restaurant seems pretty slim.

Where does everyone eat?
OKW ~ September 2010 (Annual Mother/Daughter vacation) OKW ~ March 2012 Mother/Daughter vacation
BCV ~ May 2012 (10 Year Anniversary) Wyndham's Bonnet Creek (first stay) ~ Christmas 2012
BCV ~ November 2014 (Annual Mother/Daughter vacation ~ DD's 21st B-day)

Last edited by springandmac; 12-10-2012 at 02:13 PM.
springandmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Where are you planning on being on Christmas Day? Is it a park day for you?

I just popped in December 25th on Disney Dining's reservation page, using a party of 4 for 6:30 pm, and multiple locations came up with availability. Perhaps not your first choices (and times were all over the board (from 5:05 pm to 8:30 pm) but definitely still some options to choose from.

We are doing the all-day dining at SeaWorld on Christmas Day. Our dining experiences (Santa's Fireside Feast, Dine with Shamu, character breakfast at the Polynesian, Shrek Feast at Gaylord Palms, and dinner at T-Rex) were all scheduled for different days besides Christmas itself so we can have less running around on a day that's bound to be packed.

If it were me, I would try calling T-Rex (located in Downtown Disney) to see if they might still have a table availab.e Looks like a cool place to enjoy a holiday meal. They often don't show up online but will have space available if you call them directly.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
swilshire
DIS Veteran

We cooked our usual holiday meal in the condo. Be careful, though. All the grocery stores close early on Christmas Eve. We were missing a couple of ingredients and had trouble finding them.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
springandmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Where are you planning on being on Christmas Day? Is it a park day for you?

I just popped in December 25th on Disney Dining's reservation page, using a party of 4 for 6:30 pm, and multiple locations came up with availability. Perhaps not your first choices (and times were all over the board (from 5:05 pm to 8:30 pm) but definitely still some options to choose from.

We are doing the all-day dining at SeaWorld on Christmas Day. Our dining experiences (Santa's Fireside Feast, Dine with Shamu, character breakfast at the Polynesian, Shrek Feast at Gaylord Palms, and dinner at T-Rex) were all scheduled for different days besides Christmas itself so we can have less running around on a day that's bound to be packed.

If it were me, I would try calling T-Rex (located in Downtown Disney) to see if they might still have a table availab.e Looks like a cool place to enjoy a holiday meal. They often don't show up online but will have space available if you call them directly.

We were going to try to avoid the parks on Christmas day due to the crowds. I'll have to try the reservation system again, I looked several times yesterday but each time it said the system was down.
OKW ~ September 2010 (Annual Mother/Daughter vacation) OKW ~ March 2012 Mother/Daughter vacation
BCV ~ May 2012 (10 Year Anniversary) Wyndham's Bonnet Creek (first stay) ~ Christmas 2012
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
springandmac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilshire View Post
We cooked our usual holiday meal in the condo. Be careful, though. All the grocery stores close early on Christmas Eve. We were missing a couple of ingredients and had trouble finding them.

Sheila

I thought about this but since we're only going to be there for 4 days....
Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Perhaps this might be a bit of an unconventional idea, but I will toss it out there anyway.........

What about the Outta Control Dinner Show at Wonderworks (located on International Drive)?

Its a fantastic show.....sidesplittingly funny and very engaging for ALL ages. Its comedy and magic and all around fun.

Food is not your traditional Christmas fare....its all you can eat salad, pizza, popcorn and white cake for dessert. Beverages are also unlimited (including beer, wine, soft drinks, etc.).

The price can't be beat....$22.99 pp if booked online (kids are cheaper). You can also get a combo pass that includes admission to Wonderworks as well.

We did this dinner show in August and I would not hesitate to recommend it. An awesome family-friendly time that is well worth the cost.

Christmas Day shows are at 6 and 8 pm.

http://wonderworks.reserveorlando.co...ner-magic-show

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

You should try the WDW site again. I just hopped on to check and found availability at quite a few DTD or resort restaurants for both lunch and dinner. You can also try calling the restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin directly and see what they have.
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
kathy884
DIS Veteran

Our family tradition if we are in Orlando for Christmas is to go to SeaWorld Christmas Day (wonderful park for a multigenerational group). Food is quite good for a theme park too and we have both lunch and dinner there. We also find this park to be less crowded than Disney parks on the 25th. Yes, you need to get to shows 30 minutes before they start to get great seats, but there is pre show entertainment too, so no big deal. Also, they have second day free pricing if you want to go back for a second day, just stop at the customer service window to get tickets.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy884 View Post
Our family tradition if we are in Orlando for Christmas is to go to SeaWorld Christmas Day (wonderful park for a multigenerational group). Food is quite good for a theme park too and we have both lunch and dinner there. We also find this park to be less crowded than Disney parks on the 25th. Yes, you need to get to shows 30 minutes before they start to get great seats, but there is pre show entertainment too, so no big deal. Also, they have second day free pricing if you want to go back for a second day, just stop at the customer service window to get tickets.
Shhhhh.....don't tell anyone that SW is a good park for Christmas Day. We won't want any crowds when we go this year .

And just so there's no disappointment, the second day free offer was discontinued earlier this fall. If you are looking for a better value multi-day ticket, Fun Passes can be purchased for the same price as one day admission ($89) and are valid for unlimited visits in 2013 (and the remainder of 2012) but do not include the other benefits of a season's pass (such as free parking, food and merchandise discounts, etc.).

Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran

Oh no the secret of sw on Xmas day is getting out lol
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Boardwalk Villas2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Bay Lake Towers2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas2014 Saratoga Springs
goofyfigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

We have only been there once on Xmas Day and we ate dinner at Chef Mickey's. It was kind of fun to eat with Minnie and Mickey and wish them Merry Christmas! I am sure they are all booked up but if you check every day people will cancel as the days get closer since this is a restaurant with a charge if you do not show up.

What about Hoop Dee Doo - that would be a fun dinner show on Xmas - not sure if they are playing?

Sorry but I wouldn't recommend the Outta Control show - we went before and it was fun enough but I would want something a bit nicer on Christmas. It is really just cheap pizza. I also found Wonderworks to be kind of run down - this was probably about 5 years ago so maybe it has been improved.

Have a great trip!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniehar90 View Post
We have only been there once on Xmas Day and we ate dinner at Chef Mickey's. It was kind of fun to eat with Minnie and Mickey and wish them Merry Christmas! I am sure they are all booked up but if you check every day people will cancel as the days get closer since this is a restaurant with a charge if you do not show up.

What about Hoop Dee Doo - that would be a fun dinner show on Xmas - not sure if they are playing?

Sorry but I wouldn't recommend the Outta Control show - we went before and it was fun enough but I would want something a bit nicer on Christmas. It is really just cheap pizza. I also found Wonderworks to be kind of run down - this was probably about 5 years ago so maybe it has been improved.

Have a great trip!
I wouldn't necessary suggest the Outta Control show for Christmas dinner either, however with the OP's travel date so close and it being a major holiday, her options are limited so she may have to settle for what is still available. We did not visit Wonderworks when we did the dinner show in August, so I can't comment on the quality of that activity. I just know they have a combo pass available if she wanted to make an afternoon and evening out of the trip.

Personally, I would skip Chef Mickeys for Christmas dinner if food quality is a consideration, even if the OP could get a reservation at this late date. While the character interaction is okay (though terribly chaotic), it was by far the most disappointing (food wise) of the five character meals we did on our Disney trip.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

OP, have you considered the Christmas Day buffet at Gaylord Palms?

http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord...ristmasDay.pdf

I don't know if they still have reservations available or not, but it might be worth a call to find out.

Its pricey, but I have read good things online about the quality of the meal. And Gaylord Palms is beautifully decorated for the holiday season. There are lots of activities going on there that you could enjoy with your family, if you wanted to do so (ICE!, gingerbread decorating, holiday performers, etc.....some for a fee and some for free).

http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord...ndo/index.html

Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
springandmac
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the suggestions. Against my better judgement I've decided to make Christmas Day a park day. We'll go to DHS in the morning, take a afternoon break and then go to early dinner. I've got a offsite reservation at Benihana's & in case no one feels like that, I've got a Yachtsman steakhouse ressie. Which I'm hoping nobody feels like because its so expensive.

I was considering Ragland Road but DD19 is kinda picky and not very interested in trying new things.

Anyone have any Benihana's experiences?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
dioxide45
DIS Veteran

You could consider ordering a prepared meal from a local restaurant. I know that Mimi's Cafe has a Holiday Feast to Go and Bob Evans restaurants have a similar option. They are heat and serve where you would pick them up the day before then you heat them in your villa.
dioxide45 is offline   Reply With Quote