Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #46
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
you're probably right.

watching doomsday preppers makes me feel like a total slacker, lol.
I just had to turn it on the night they had the guy who married a twin "in case" he needed to replace his wife. That was a hoot
Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #47
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I just had to turn it on the night they had the guy who married a twin "in case" he needed to replace his wife. That was a hoot
Something tells me you're NOT joking. . .
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #48
Swissdog2010
DDC 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote

Something tells me you're NOT joking. . .
After going through Sandy i was glad i had done some prep work, like a generator, woodstove, water and food. We were out of power for nine days and stores and gas stations were hard to find for a few days. Nukes and zombies aren't very likely but weather issues are much more probable and some thought would go a long way to ease the burden.
DisDad Member #677 Hooahh!

[1996---Off Property,2004---OKW, 2005---OKW,
2006---OKW/SSR,2007---OKW/SSR 2008---OKW/SSR
2009---SSR/SSR,2010---OKW/SSR,2011---OKW/SSR
2012---OKW/SSR, 2013---OKW/OKW, 2014---SSR/SSR(booked)
Swissdog2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #49
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissdog2010 View Post
After going through Sandy i was glad i had done some prep work, like a generator, woodstove, water and food. We were out of power for nine days and stores and gas stations were hard to find for a few days. Nukes and zombies aren't very likely but weather issues are much more probable and some thought would go a long way to ease the burden.
But, do you have a "backup" spouse in case anything happens to the primary one?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #50
Swissdog2010
DDC 677

Quote:
But, do you have a "backup" spouse in case anything happens to the primary one?

Nope, if this one buys it, i'm lone wolfing it...
DisDad Member #677 Hooahh!

[1996---Off Property,2004---OKW, 2005---OKW,
2006---OKW/SSR,2007---OKW/SSR 2008---OKW/SSR
2009---SSR/SSR,2010---OKW/SSR,2011---OKW/SSR
2012---OKW/SSR, 2013---OKW/OKW, 2014---SSR/SSR(booked)
Swissdog2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #51
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
that is just ALL kinds of wrong! ROFL! but i'd have to stop and watch it too! what a wingnut!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #52
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelwoj View Post
Just so you all know, when a prepper talks about "zombies" it's not the flesh eating zonked out beings you think of. They're talking about the person who isn't prepared that is going to come and mooch/steal what they have prepped.
That's good to know. With all the talk of zombies I was beginning to think there was an epidemic of mental instability.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #53
deakam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Giggleface View Post
That's good to know. With all the talk of zombies I was beginning to think there was an epidemic of mental instability.
The Government booklet was about the brain eating almost dead type of Zombie.....not the mooch your stuff type. They also ordered millions upon millions of hollow point bullets and hundreds of thousands of bullet proof checkpoint stations.....I'm thinking about prepping for something.
deakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #54
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

OP here. I think the first guy in my post, the extreme guy, is probably prepping for economic collapse. No specific date.

The 2nd one in my post, may be prepping for similar. He is really into "made in USA" so I'm guessing economy too.

Did anyone see "Raising Hope" tonight on Fox? It was funny. Mom had spent 2 years prepping for 12/21/12. Stockpiling. Extreme couponing. Everyone in the family had a survival skill they had to learn. Family was just going along with it. And then they had to hold Christmas early - on 12/20 because on 12/25 they would be too busy trying to survive. When nothing happened on 12/21, mom was disappointed. BUT her friend had sold all their possessions & income producing ice cream truck and spent ALL their money on a trip to WDW because the world was going to end. And when it didn't end and they now owned nothing & no longer had their jobs, they had to move in with the family that prepped. So all that stockpiled food & food bought with extreme couponing came in handy after all. It was a funny episode.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #55
deakam
DIS Veteran

I still have a box full of candles from Y2K......
deakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #56
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup View Post
OP here. I think the first guy in my post, the extreme guy, is probably prepping for economic collapse. No specific date.

The 2nd one in my post, may be prepping for similar. He is really into "made in USA" so I'm guessing economy too.

Did anyone see "Raising Hope" tonight on Fox? It was funny. Mom had spent 2 years prepping for 12/21/12. Stockpiling. Extreme couponing. Everyone in the family had a survival skill they had to learn. Family was just going along with it. And then they had to hold Christmas early - on 12/20 because on 12/25 they would be too busy trying to survive. When nothing happened on 12/21, mom was disappointed. BUT her friend had sold all their possessions & income producing ice cream truck and spent ALL their money on a trip to WDW because the world was going to end. And when it didn't end and they now owned nothing & no longer had their jobs, they had to move in with the family that prepped. So all that stockpiled food & food bought with extreme couponing came in handy after all. It was a funny episode.
you forgot about the alpaca that couldn't spit because it was dehydrated

great episode...
nathalee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #57
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissdog2010 View Post
Being prepared for a hurricane is not like being a doomsday prepper. I've spent my life on the Gulf Coast. Being ready for a week without law, a week or two of complete chaos and a couple of months of no power isn't the same to me as living forever in complete anarchy, ya' know, especially when the infrustructure is alive and well and help IS coming. (Note the above hurricane estimates are based on worst case scenarios. I don't know anyone who hasn't been without law for more than two days, to be honest, but I know that it has happened.)
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #58
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

There was one family on an episode of Doomsday Preppers that's going to have a rude awakening on 12/22 -- they were proud of the fact that they had bought TONS of stuff -- furniture, electronics, etc., on delayed payment plans -- no payments due until 2013 -- because the world was going to end or collapse on 12/21 and they wouldn't then have to pay for all this stuff. Ha!

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #59
TXinmyheart
Mouseketeer

Ever since Katrina, and after reading One Second After, our family has been slowly been building systems to allow for a sustainable lifestyle off the grid.

We have an underground facility built in limestone, we use wind, solar and geothermal energy. We access water from deep below our land. We grow a great deal of our food and can as much as we can. We have several layers of security on our land.

We keep several spare components in Faraday cages and stockpile fuel. We carry collapsible bicycles in our cars should an EMP disable our current vehicle where ever we are. We have made plans on where to go and meet should something happen while one is in school.

We live an absolutely normal lifestyle with a kid in a public school, but we do remain vigilant and prepared. We just are not fanatical about it, but realize it will be every man and woman for him and herself.
TXinmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #60
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
you're probably right.

watching doomsday preppers makes me feel like a total slacker, lol.
Actually, watching DoomsDay Preppers makes me feel completely sane and not the least bit paranoid.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: