Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #31
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellone View Post
I guess my husband is. We're going to build a house and he is going to have it built so it can be completely off the grid. So well insulated that it barely loses/gains any heat, geothermal for the heating/cooling we do need, and solar panels going to batteries in the house (not the grid) for electricity.

Now his new thing is having an aquaponics system in the house so that we can grow our own food year round.

So not hoarding in the sense you thin of most doomsday preppers, just setting it up so that we can survive without help from anyone.
You do know the world is predicted to end on Dec 21st. If you don't already have your house built, you & DH will be toast like the rest of us.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #32
nathalee81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
No prep here, but I think about how I'd survive a zombie apocalypse (usually after watching Walking Dead). No doing, just thinking. But then I remembered that I'll be on a cruise ship headed to the Panama Canal on Doomsday, so I better hope it's not a zombie apocalypse. A cruise ship would be a terrible place to be when a zombie virus got out - no where to go but overboard! And if the captain got infected, then unless some random non-infected passenger knew how to steer a giant vessel, then we'd be doomed.
Oh, good-I'm so glad that my husband and I aren't the only ones who think about how we would survive after we watch that show.

A cruise ship would be a good place to be if NO ONE was infected, right?
nathalee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #33
Myothername
DIS Veteran

I always thought I was prepared until Katrina. After that storm I started keeping about 2 weeks worth of food and water. Then after all the political crap lately and watching some of the prepper shows I have gotten more into it, call it a hobby. Each week when I go to the grocery store I spend about an extra $5-10 on extra food, spaghetti sauce, noodles, water, etc. I have started storing it in our unused bedroom. I am going to need more room soon though.

I also have a nice garden and will be expanding it this spring. I am going to start canning as well. I bake my own bread and have the stuff to make a solar oven if needed.

I don't spread the word around because I don't want the "zombies" coming to my house in case of a crisis. I say I am preparing for some type of big event but in reality it is preparing for a hurricane or economic collapse.

I tell my husband one thing I can control in this world is our food. My goal is to have a years worth of food on hand. But I also check dates on the food every 6 months and rotate out when needed so nothing goes bad.
Myothername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #34
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit

We know a few Preppers. I hope we are well-liked enough that they will offer to share.

Meanwhile, I'm so busy at this time of year that the world could end and I wouldn't even notice!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #35
Myothername
DIS Veteran

None of my family prepares for anything. After Katrina they all left the state for 2 weeks so didn't have to deal with the aftermath. I tell my mother and my brother and sister-in-law they at least need to put in some canned goods and extra water. They just laugh and say they will come to my house. Well I just don't know if I am willing to share. They have had just as much time to prepare as I have. Reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode.
Myothername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #36
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

I have a ton of Christmas baked goods if that can count for anything!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #37
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakam View Post
Since the Government of the United States of America recently published a booklet on "How to survive the Zombie Apocalypse" and then held a workshop for Department of Homeland Security employees on how to fight Zombies, I decided that I might need to survive the Zombie Apocalypse my government is prepping for. I also believe that my government will cause said zombies to appear through various secret labs around the country. LOL.
Have you read Justin Cronin's two books, The Passage and The Twelve? Maybe you shouldn't. Fiction, about just what you described above. I'm getting through The Twelve right now. Scary stuff.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #38
Piper
DIS Veteran

No, I know that someday things will be really bad because the Bible says there will be 7 plagues, but since I don't expect to be here during that time, I'm not worried.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #39
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
The thought of fighting to survive, sleeping in unknown elements, and eating the canned food we usually have on hand is not at all appealing! Plus if it at all involved zombies, we'd be dead of fright - we're a bunch of chickens, except DH.
add into the fact that I'm a Scout leader & have a Scout that LIKES camping (except in the winter) & well...yeah...I already told them I'm so not the camping kind but we are goners....

I've seen the chaos that happens after sports teams wins no less -- the rioting is insane -- if the world ended it would be complete & utter chaos and frankly....too complicated for me to handle.

I was cranky after several days without a dishwasher -- the concept of foraging for my own food well....nah...

Of course, I did wonder if that explained why where I work which is retail, the Christmas stuff has flown off the shelves suepr early, we had people looking for stuff on Dec. 1 & we were already sold out, pretty much selling the display models of things not too much later...I was wondering if it was people figuring they would decorate and celebrate Christmas early just in case or something.

I figure whoever dies on Dec. 22 (is that the day?), that will be the end of the world for them but not so much for the rest of us. My DH was not in the least bit concerned about Y2K since he works with computers & had a good point -- they were making 30 year mortgages prior to the year 2000 which would have already NEEDED 2000 calculations figured out 30 years prior!

Besides "end of the world" would possibly mean end of the planet and it really doesn't matter what supplies you have if the entire earth blows up does it?

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #40
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
No prep here, but I think about how I'd survive a zombie apocalypse (usually after watching Walking Dead). No doing, just thinking. But then I remembered that I'll be on a cruise ship headed to the Panama Canal on Doomsday, so I better hope it's not a zombie apocalypse. A cruise ship would be a terrible place to be when a zombie virus got out - no where to go but overboard! And if the captain got infected, then unless some random non-infected passenger knew how to steer a giant vessel, then we'd be doomed.
I'll be on a cruise ship, too. Never thought about a zombie virus!

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #41
sookie
DIS Veteran

I'm a total goner.

The only thing I will have going for me is that maybe I'll look halfway decent when I'm going down - for the first 12 hours or so - until my hair starts to frizz and my flat iron is no longer working....
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #42
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

My husband has set up doomsday camp in the basement. I'm not kidding. There are guns, ammo, food, water, flashlights, batteries, etc. It is insane.

I don't know what he thinks is going to happen......
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #43
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
i don't know any preppers, at least, not that i'm aware of. i don't even know how to can veggies/fruits and only own 2 guns, so, when the apocalypse occurs, i hope i die quickly.
Meh, my whole life I've only been able to shoot 1 gun at a time. I think most people who use "prepping" as an excuse for stockpiling guns are just gun collectors trying to justify their hobby. Now, stockpiling ammo OTOH, that would make more sense. Personally, I think I have just enough to try to make it somewhere safer
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #44
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Meh, my whole life I've only been able to shoot 1 gun at a time. I think most people who use "prepping" as an excuse for stockpiling guns are just gun collectors trying to justify their hobby. Now, stockpiling ammo OTOH, that would make more sense. Personally, I think I have just enough to try to make it somewhere safer
you're probably right.

watching doomsday preppers makes me feel like a total slacker, lol.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #45
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I'm not a prepper nor will I ever be. If something cataclysmic happens, DH and I will abandon suburbia while the getting is good.

As for the downfall of civilization because of, uhm yeah. How'd those investments on ammo work out for ya' 4 years ago?
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: