Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
theatregrl04
Mouseketeer

Dance Classes?

Hello,

I've been taking jazz dance classes through my school this semester and thought they were fun and a great way to exercise.
I am going to be in the College program this coming spring and wondering if there were dance classes you could take while at Disney?
Jazz is my first choice, but I'm open to modern and hiphop as well! Maybe more...
Ideally, I guess, this would need to be on a drop in or "punch card" basis since I know that CP hours are not consistent.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

I looked around and didn't see anything about this so I thought I'd ask.

Trips to the World
August 2011 All Star Music, August 2010 All Star Music, October 2005 All Star Music, December 2000 Yacht Club, October 1999 Contemporary

Disneyland
June 2001 Disneyland Hotel

Disney Cruise Line
October 2003 Wonder, April 2005 Magic
theatregrl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
uttom300
CP Alum

If you are talking about Disney related classes, then no. They only offer professional/disney related courses. They do not offer dance classes. Perhaps you can find a class outside of Disney to continue your interest.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
orangekid13
Mouseketeer
Hmmm, not nice to call someone a liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttom300 View Post
If you are talking about Disney related classes, then no. They only offer professional/disney related courses. They do not offer dance classes. Perhaps you can find a class outside of Disney to continue your interest.
There might be some open workshops that are offered by entertainment, I know that occasionally they'll have the stilts workshop open to everyone. Since I was separated when my training expired in May I can't check the hub to see if I can find anything though.

Magic Kingdom on July 4th 2005, waiting for the fireworks display

Spring '12 Management Science and Integration PI (start Jan 12th)
Monorails Seasonal CM through May 2011
Spring '09 Walt Disney World College Program - Monorails
'05 Walt Disney World (Grad present from mom) included July 4th
'00 Disneyland (March), (May) - Played in Magic Music Days
'98 Walt Disney World
'93, '96 Disneyland
orangekid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
hellojamie
Earning My Ears

There is a new dance studio called Studio K (new at least while I was there in the spring) that opened up right across from the outlet mall near the CP housing, it's less than a mile away. I went to classes there and would jog that far as my warm up and then do a class. They have a Disney discount where you can buy a package of classes with the punch card, or you can pay like $50 a month for unlimited lessons. They do all kinds, zumba, jazz, ballroom, musical theater, burlesque, hip hop, line dancing. Seriously everything. I think the punch card ended up being around $8 a class with the Disney discount.

I really enjoyed going there, intimate feel but a very nice new facility, good instructors. And I know because of the Disney crowd, at least while I was going, they were interviewing instructors to teach audition-style dance classes to prep people for the Disney character auditions. They offer one free class so you should definitely at least check it out and see if you like it. Not a lot of people know about it but it's super convenient to where CPs live.

http://www.studiokorlando.com/
hellojamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
Spo0nfulofSugar
Impatiently waiting for College

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellojamie View Post
There is a new dance studio called Studio K (new at least while I was there in the spring) that opened up right across from the outlet mall near the CP housing, it's less than a mile away. I went to classes there and would jog that far as my warm up and then do a class. They have a Disney discount where you can buy a package of classes with the punch card, or you can pay like $50 a month for unlimited lessons. They do all kinds, zumba, jazz, ballroom, musical theater, burlesque, hip hop, line dancing. Seriously everything. I think the punch card ended up being around $8 a class with the Disney discount.

I really enjoyed going there, intimate feel but a very nice new facility, good instructors. And I know because of the Disney crowd, at least while I was going, they were interviewing instructors to teach audition-style dance classes to prep people for the Disney character auditions. They offer one free class so you should definitely at least check it out and see if you like it. Not a lot of people know about it but it's super convenient to where CPs live.

http://www.studiokorlando.com/
I still have a Lllooooong time until I get down there (about three years ), but this is great information! I was worried about losing my dance experience once I got down there. Tons of help, thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
theatregrl04
Mouseketeer

Hello!
Just thought I would reopen this thread to see if anyone had new ideas for a studio. I just finished my college program and got hired with the company. And I think I'll have a little more/different free time and would love to get healthier and more active by dancing again. I looked back to this thread and it appears that studiok is no longer operating which is too bad because I think they looked great.
Anyone else have any suggestions of places to look into?
Thanks in advance!

Trips to the World
August 2011 All Star Music, August 2010 All Star Music, October 2005 All Star Music, December 2000 Yacht Club, October 1999 Contemporary

Disneyland
June 2001 Disneyland Hotel

Disney Cruise Line
October 2003 Wonder, April 2005 Magic
theatregrl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

Studio K is temporarily closed - but they are working on securing a new location.

http://www.spotlightdancecenter.com/ is another nearby option - I taken a handful of classes through them.

Check out Tasha Teaches That on Facebook. She and I teach at the same studio (www.columbuscenterdanceacademy.com/), but she also teaches adult classes in a variety of styles.

Those are the only 3 I have personal experience with, I'm sure there are more.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
aznshents
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70 View Post
Studio K is temporarily closed - but they are working on securing a new location.
Awww, really? I'm a current PI looking to take dance classes and they sounded like such a good choice.

Looks like I'm going to get off my butt and finally start taking lessons at Spotlight.
aznshents is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: