Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Rosanne
DIS Veteran

For me it might not be a deal breaker but if I was on the dining plan with the refillables it wouldn't be ideal. Since it's usually just me and my girls there is no one to just run and get stuff so they always have to come with me, be it dragging in luggage or wanting to grab something quick.

If it was just me traveling or just adults or older kids it wouldn't matter to me that much.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
Yea yea. Wish I had a 3/4 mile walk at WDW right now.

We went from enjoying the view outside friday:

To enjoying from inside....burrr.

It may be cold but it looks beautiful! Gorgeous patio!
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #18
Mick&Minn
Mouseketeer

The way I see what will take place is a lot of families will stay in the Little Mermaid section once and not come back, they may stay in the suites
And I base this on talking with an awful lot of people who were staying
while we were there. I do not see many elderly coming back to the LM
section also based on talking with many .

Disney can cure this very easily they need at least a drink station and a small quick snack stop in that area but I doubt if we will see that.
Wilderness Lodge, PORF, AKL, POP Century
Once to Disneyland Howard Johnson
Once on the Disney Magic AOA Little Mermaid
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
looking 4 the mouse
Earning My Ears

I like a little space. If I wasn't going to walk and enjoy the resort I would stay off site.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
maroney495
Mouseketeer

We did not find the walk to be bad at all....However do not plan to return to AoA LM as long as there are no discounts....Jus DH and I so no suites...Would rather save a little on room discount as we are not at the resort much anyway..
Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #21
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I did the LM section in Oct. I'm not a fan of the themeing so it wouldn't be my first choice of resorts, but really all this fuss over the distance.

If the walk is the problem, then never stay at a deluxe onsite because they are huge, for that matter so are a couple of the mods. Pop is just as large as well from the outer buildings to the main.

Big todo over nothing if you ask me, but I"m sure there's plenty of people who will be just as glad if a lot of them decide on different resorts.

However it's not flame worthy heck it's not even worth the sheer number of threads that have been devoted to it.

I like POFQ, and yes the small walk to everything is one of the reasons I do it. However it's not the deciding factor but for many it might be, so if that's your line in the sand then stay elsewhere. But Disney is not going to worry about it, it's small potatoes in their eyes.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

I think that the complaints were due to the fact that people had high expectations from AOA. What they seem to forget is that it is still a Value hotel even though it is new. I think once the newness wears out a lot more discounts will be offered.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

When going to Disney, always be prepared to walk in the parks, walk at the resorts, walk everywhere.

I remember staying in the most inconvenient location at POR a few years ago. I had some new-ish Nikes that just couldn't seem to get broken in no matter what I did. Well, I figured surely after a day in the parks...they will be broken in. Thankfully, I brought my old shoes with me. But...walking to the food court that night was torture.

To quote Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump...There is one item of G.I. gear that can be the difference between a live grunt and a dead grunt. Socks, cushion sole, O.D. green. Try and keep your feet dry when your out humpin' [hiking]. ...take care of your feet!
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #24
simonsayz
Loving Dis!

simple!

simple solution(s)
  1. Bring a Razr scooter
  2. Bring rollerblades
  3. skateboard

or "Skip" there, this way you have fun getting there much quicker and won't be so out of breath

but on a serious note, im not here to troll or flame
just think that if you're in Disney, just enjoy and if the building is too far, don't let that ruin your "hike" to get some drinks.

A good idea (what I did) when you have some water bottles from your day, don't throw it out, leave it in the room or something.

Just use your mug, refill it and pour into those bottles and leave it in the fridge. and if Disney frowns upon that, have someone outside of the court holding the empty bottle.

Mickey's Blog

Dec 13 - Dec 17, 2011
Nov 25 - Dec 1, 2012
7 days of Mickey Craze! End of Nov 2012 My 1st TR
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #25
andysomma1
Mouseketeer

Stayed in building 8 over Thanksgiving weekend and found that the walk to the AOA bus stops was just as far as to the POP bus stops. We didn't cross the bridge, we took the walking path around the lake. I really liked the room though and thought the themeing was great.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #26
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
When going to Disney, always be prepared to walk in the parks, walk at the resorts, walk everywhere.

I remember staying in the most inconvenient location at POR a few years ago. I had some new-ish Nikes that just couldn't seem to get broken in no matter what I did. Well, I figured surely after a day in the parks...they will be broken in. Thankfully, I brought my old shoes with me. But...walking to the food court that night was torture.

To quote Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump...There is one item of G.I. gear that can be the difference between a live grunt and a dead grunt. Socks, cushion sole, O.D. green. Try and keep your feet dry when your out humpin' [hiking]. ...take care of your feet!
Apparently there's more than one memorable line from Forrest Gump!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #27
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71 View Post
What do some people have against walking? I know it's tough when you're with small ones, or if you or a family member are ill/injured, but if you are healthy, a 3/4 of a mile walk won't kill you.

Always amuses me when I hear people complain about walking. I swear, some would be perfectly happy cruising around in those scooters from Wall-E.

That is hilarious
and sadly true
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Apparently there's more than one memorable line from Forrest Gump!
yep, including "well you aint got no legs (much less feet) lt dan"
Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #29
glammadiva
DIS Veteran

I found I enjoyed the hike between Trinidad South at CBR to their food court much more than Building 8 LM section at AOA.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

DH and I really enjoyed our stay in a LM room - clean, comfortable, and quiet. Cute towel animals every day. And we loved the food court - great breakfasts and an awesome caprese sandwich. First time at a value after stays at several of the deluxes. We are definitely converts and would happily stay there again.

We did have a car, however, and never used the buses or walked to the food court. Stops at animation hall were on our way to or from the parks. We both agreed we would hate that slog from the bus stops after a long day at the parks. We don't get or use refillable mugs but I could see that as an issue too. I'm not sure that the walk is any worse than many other Disney resorts. One of the many reasons we prefer a car.

Last edited by PrincessMe; 12-11-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: