DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

When is it customary to tip bell services?

When they unload the bags from your vehicle? When they deliver them to your room? Both?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Bell Services doesn't unload your vehicle, those folks are from a outside contractor as are the Valets. The vehicle unloaders are not allowed to take luggage to your room, they trade off to Bell Services in the luggage room.

In this case we get to tip twice.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
gmboy95
Go Patriots!!!!!

I always have tipped when the bags arrive in my room......we usually stay at OKW, so we can just drive up to our room.....but we do have an owners locker that is delivered

DVC Member VWL, OKW, HH!!! Since 2001
gmboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

We tip when unloading and when they bring to the room. I figure the guys unloading are organizing our stuff to keep it safe (they are also storing our groceries). So we usually tip one dollar per suitcase per trip out or in. I have also tipped the valet who calls a taxi for us--just seems the right thing to do and they are always Johnny on the spot. We always add that in to our budget and carry an envelope of 50-$1.

We also leave at least $10 for mousekeeping on T&T day and Check out.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I tip the people who touch my bags. So that means the people who take my bags and then deliver my bags.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

I also tip each person who touches my bags. I tip at least $1/bag and often round it up, so it is more than that.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Thanks all! The fact that the people outside and bell services are separate is good information to have.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama View Post
When they unload the bags from your vehicle? When they deliver them to your room? Both?
I'd suggest you look at a number of etiquette sites where you'll find the usual and customary is to tip at the final destination of the bag. That they've made it more complicated and involved multiple groups is an issue for them to deal with, not the customer. Worst case scenario is it works like the usual for valet (standard is to tip on pick up only), where one group gets paid one direction and the other on the opposite direction.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Maybe I'm a hard-liner, but I don't view Disney's decision to outsource the front portico of the resorts to a separate contractor to be my concern. I tip when the bags arrive in my room. If the bellmen and vallets have a method of pooling tips, that's great. If they don't, I'm very sorry but I'm afraid it hasn't changed the way I do tips.

When we're leaving, I'll tip the bellman who picks up the bags, as I'll generally walk with him/her to the car.

If we're switching resorts for a split stay, I'll tip both the bellman who picks up the bag and the bellman who delivers them to the new room. In that case, I don't view double-tipping as inappropriate because I'd never expect tips to be pooled across resorts.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
Maybe I'm a hard-liner, but I don't view Disney's decision to outsource the front portico of the resorts to a separate contractor to be my concern. I tip when the bags arrive in my room. If the bellmen and vallets have a method of pooling tips, that's great. If they don't, I'm very sorry but I'm afraid it hasn't changed the way I do tips.

When we're leaving, I'll tip the bellman who picks up the bags, as I'll generally walk with him/her to the car.

If we're switching resorts for a split stay, I'll tip both the bellman who picks up the bag and the bellman who delivers them to the new room. In that case, I don't view double-tipping as inappropriate because I'd never expect tips to be pooled across resorts.
The common practice of tipping when the bags are delivered to the room is one of the reasons that Disney outsourced the car unloading job. The unloaders weren't getting many tips.

Ever wonder why DME luggage can be delivered to your room when no one is there but other luggage deliveries require that an adult be present in the room? It's all about the tips, DME includes the tips as part of the contract.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
kendzee94
DIS Veteran

So what if I schlep my carryons to bell servivices

kendzee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
kendzee94
DIS Veteran

So what if I schlep my carryons over to bell services while I'm waiting for my room? Or waiting for ME, then come back and get them a few hours later, do you tip both when you get and receive bags? Or just once?

kendzee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

As Dean mentions above, most etiquette sites will tell you you tip when you *get* the bags, not when you *give* them. So, if you drop your carryons with Bell Services, and pick them up (or have them delivered) later, you'd tip on pick up/delivery, not drop off.

I tend to follow the "tip on pick up" rules for both valet and bell services, with one exception. When I have Bell Services come pick up my Owners Locker, I tip them for that service. I also tip more generously for a delivery to my room than if I'm picking them up at the Bell Services desk.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
As Dean mentions above, most etiquette sites will tell you you tip when you *get* the bags, not when you *give* them. So, if you drop your carryons with Bell Services, and pick them up (or have them delivered) later, you'd tip on pick up/delivery, not drop off.

I tend to follow the "tip on pick up" rules for both valet and bell services, with one exception. When I have Bell Services come pick up my Owners Locker, I tip them for that service. I also tip more generously for a delivery to my room than if I'm picking them up at the Bell Services desk.
First a Disclaimer, I despise both the system that has generated tipping and having anyone mess with my things. I try to avoid both whenever possible and legitimate. Call it a minor phobia if you want. I also try to either avoid housekeeping in the room or be there when they're cleaning. However, one cannot always avoid them and I'm not afflicted enough such that I can't deal with it. My approach in general is I tip to a standard and if there are reasons to vary from that standard (up or down), I do so. Maybe it's raining or the bags are particularly heavy or any one of a number of other variables. A couple of examples, my wife and I commonly share a meal and we often have discounts or coupons. Both situations where I would routinely give more for good service. I know some people come from areas where they are more required to tip up front or there are repercussions, that's not tipping it's extortion but I know it happens.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

I don't tip people!

It's not nice to push people over!

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: