Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Melct
Mouseketeer

Orlando airport family lans question

As our vacation gets very close, I am stressing more about putting my kids through the intense security screenings. Had anyone been through the family lanes at Orlando recently? Do they make the kids go through the backscatter xray machines? I know they say the radiation is supposed to be low but I would not chance it plus do not my kids to be "photographed". I also don't want them to have an invasive pat down. What can I expect?

Thanks for the advice and support.

Melissa
Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

1. The airports we have been through in the last year automatically send families away from the new machines.

2. If you are being sent away from those machines BUT you are a randomly chosen person or something about you or your belongings makes them want to check you out, you'll get to have a patdown.

3. The patdowns that I have experienced have NEVER been "invasive". It would be a terrific idea for you to look at the NON hysterical videos (if indeed there are any out there) of them. They have had me stand with feet slightly apart, arms up. They use the BACKS of their hands to feel along my arms, torso, and legs. They do put the tips of their fingers at the waistband, to make sure you don't have anything hidden in there. Talking your whole family through this procedure will serve your family immensely. The hysterical videos I've seen wouldn't have been a problem at all if the PARENT would have just calmed down.

4. I do not choose to go through the machines, BUT I do know that they say the radiation you encounter in them is less than the natural radiation you will receive while on the flight. I personally say that radiation is cumulative, and at least I am receiving a benefit by getting to go someplace fast in the plane while being closer to the sun and receiving that radiation, and there are other methods to check me out than using those machines.

5. Seriously, be calm about the patdowns. They can be important, and neither DH (who travels about half the year for work) nor I have encountered anything "invasive" at all.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 12-11-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: my explanation wasn't clear at all, so I changed it
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
stephm0188
Mouseketeer

We just returned from Orlando, and the terminal we were in utilized millimeter wave machines. MCO was on the list of airports who would be switching out their backscatters with my millimeter wave machines, but I can't say for certain that all terminals have made the change.

Either way, didn't really matter for us. My husband carried our sleeping child through the metal detector. I was prepared to go through, but they directed me to walk through the metal detector as well.
stephm0188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
rascooby
He is so happy and thankful! He licks his bowl clean and then looks for more.

We just went to WDW in November. I was very worried about security. We had a bad experience with a really mean TSA agent a few years ago. It was a total breeze this time. Everyone was really friendly and kind. My 4 and 5 year olds were a little nervous to walk through the metal detectors alone but they got big smiles from the TSA agents and stickers afterwards. My 9 year old had a cast on her hand, so they had to test it with something (which only took a second and was no big deal) but other than that, we had no special screening.

(me) (DH) (DD 8) (DD 4) (DD 3)

2004- Offsite, 2009- CBR ~ Planning for December 2012!!!

A rose can say "I love you", orchids can enthrall, but a weed bouquet in a chubby fist, yes, that says it all. ~Author Unknown
rascooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Sunlight vs. cosmic radiation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I am receiving a benefit from the radiation from being closer to the sun.
Sunlight stimulates the body to produce vitamin D an essential vitamin. Limited exposure to the sun is helpful in this case of promoting good health.

This should not be confused with exposure to cosmic radiation which originate from the sun and other places in the universe. I donít know of any good effect of cosmic radiation, but they are unavoidable. Even at sea level, cosmic rays strike your body approximately 1 per minute. In an airplane at altitude, you lose atmosphere shielding so the dosage is increased. Approximate 3 trans-continental crossing result in exposure to cosmic rays equivalent to one standard chest X-ray. Unless you are a pilot or a stewardess, you probably donít need to be concerned at this level of radiation.

Radiation from any airport body scan is much lower than exposure to cosmic radiation.

You are far more likely to be injured or die in a car accident on the way to the airport than be harmed by any radiation.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobi View Post
Radiation from any airport body scan is much lower than exposure to cosmic radiation.

You are far more likely to be injured or die in a car accident on the way to the airport than be harmed by any radiation.

-Paul
Pretty sure I said that first part.

The benefit I was talking about was that I was getting to go somewhere. I am on a flight, I am going somewhere faster than I could drive, walk, bike, or kayak. That's what I meant.

I am receiving NO benefit from walking through a machine that uses radiation. With an xray of a body part, I am receiving the benefit of knowledge of what is going on under my skin, so I accept the occasional xray. With the airport machines, someone else is receiving the benefit of my receiving the radiation, and they can get that info in other ways from me.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
kalimom6
Mouseketeer

Going through security with 6 kids was surprisingly easy. The not so fun part was getting everything back in order after going through, getting liquids back in backpack, DH and I getting our shoes and other belongings put away, etc. Security was actually the easiest for us in the airport. Our wish child can't physically walk as much as the rest of us but, in her words, is too big for a stroller. Plus the waiting at the gate to board wasn't fun, as the kids just wanted to GO!
MCO, although busy, was a breeze to go through.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: